Lots of Searching but no visor shelf (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any particular reason you did not choose to go with the oem visor? Looks like a perfect fit to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

20130322_134637.jpg

I like how the oem has better coverage of the windshield compared to the aftermarket ones pictured here:

attachment.php

Really looking forward to getting one of these, awesome find!

Thanks,
Doug

Any particular reason you did not choose to go with the oem visor? Looks like a perfect fit to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

I like how the oem has better coverage of the windshield compared to the aftermarket ones pictured here:

Thanks,
Doug

Two reasons I see to go with an aftermarket one:

1. If your OEM visor no longer stays in the up position this is a good time to get a new visor since you are going to have it all out anyway.
  2. If you are fairly tall or just don't want to give up the viewable area at the top of your windshield the new visor is lower profile. Sounded like about 1/2" to 3/4" of viewable area depending.

Losing 1/2 to 3/4" of viewable area doesn't sound like a big deal to me, just wondering if there are other fitment issues.
I could see the loss of coverage on the outside edge of the windshield with the aftermarket visor being annoying if the sun was in that area.

Oem seems like the better fit for me....did they ever make the oem versions with a mirror light?

Oem seems like the better fit for me....did they ever make the oem versions with a mirror light?

Here's a photo of my 1996 US Spec if it helps. Yes, both visors have mirror lights.

image-2318752170.jpg

I would prefer the OEM visors, they do seem to cover a lot more of the windshield. What ever we get will not match my oak so I guess I'm indifferent.

Still Excited

Looking forward to purchasing. Akella, will you post on this thread when you're ready to take orders?

Thanks

John

Here are some pictures of aftermarket visors

Maybe it's because I tired and don't have my glasses on, but that thing is looking fugly:p

Thanks,
Doug
The main reason to change visors is that a lot of you guys will have to trim your existing visors because USA LC have long sun visors and still they wont hold up very well as most of them are old and sagging.

The visors on my pictures are only the sunvisors that still available from toyota. Short, Grey and only have mirrors and price is still pretty high for just visor. $120 shipped. So it is why i looked into alternatives.

Indeed they give better coverage, but they do take up more space and they dont look too good when fitted. They are too thick. I will post up measurements of visor area on a shelfs so maybe somebody can find better options.

Hmmm. Does not look like US visors. More like JDM?
Short visors from general market from poverty packaged model.

Maybe it's because I tired and don't have my glasses on, but that thing is looking fugly:p

They are not the best looking visors i have to agree, but that is so far the best option i found for the money. In ideal situation i would prefer to make custom visors for the shelfs, but i highly doubted that that i will brake even due to high production set up cost.

Forgot to mention. I took my lc for 600 miles trip this weekend.

Did not notice any discomfort or vision abstraction from console driving day or night.
Had 4 different people driving with at different time and nobody even noticed console is there until i pointed it out.

I started to accumulate junk there and still havent had anything to fall out.

My friend who is 6 2" drove with me too and did not noticed any vision abstraction too. So i think most of us will be ok.

Here's a picture of my retrofitted 94 US Spec visors in my 91 FJ80. Not hard to do. I kinda followed a thread here on mud but added my own touches. The reason for doing this is I installed the JDM counsel with the compass/altimeter. Enjoy

Here's the L side

ForumRunner_20130405_092802.jpg

ForumRunner_20130405_092824.jpg

Here's the R side.

ForumRunner_20130405_092839.jpg

ForumRunner_20130405_092856.jpg

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

ForumRunner_20130405_092802.jpg

ForumRunner_20130405_092824.jpg

ForumRunner_20130405_092839.jpg

ForumRunner_20130405_092856.jpg

I'd like to see the fitment between the shelves and the JDM counsel with the aux. fuel guage or compass and altimeter.

I'd like to see the fitment between the shelves and the JDM counsel with the aux. fuel guage or compass and altimeter.

here is pic

8.JPG

here is pic

Thanks, looks like it'd be a good fit. I probably won't be the first to get it mounted as I've got some other projects, like replacing the pulleys in the parts request I sent:) But still love the idea for extra storage of lighter items. Can't wait to see more of them mounted.

Mr. Akella, what's the status/eta on the consoles? I won't let this be forgotten!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom