Lost power steering today and need ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok need advice. There is binding for sure happening and I need to know where else to trouble shoot. Put the truck on stands and moved the wheels and they are very hard to move from side to side. The transmission is neutral along with the tcase. S o then I dropped the front drive shaft thinking my VC locked up. I locked the center diff and drove around the block and yep still very hard to turn but it felt like it had both drive shafts. So then I unlocked the center diff and drove around the block and yep still hard to turn but this time my truck felt gutless. It did not feel like my normal rig when accelerating it felt like it had no power. So what else can I check to see if there is binding? How do I check to see if a birf is binding? Any advice is really appreciated

Is your front locker stuck? Your problem is starting to sound different then mine.

I went and jacked mine up last night, and I am pretty sure it is the pump, it turns lock to lock without binding, just no help from the P/S. My pump was also making quite a racket before it gave up. I am ordering a pump today.

Maybe you can pull off the slugs(drive flanges) and that will help to see if it is in the front end?

Good info I guess I will pull the flanges to see if its binding. Would it be pretty obvious if the birfs are binding?

Good info I guess I will pull the flanges to see if its binding. Would it be pretty obvious if the birfs are binding?

sorry for the late reply, been busy with life. Since you're in PHX, I STRONGLY urge you to contact the Copper State Cruiser Club (in the club section) and ask for assistance. Those guys are very hands on and will help you sort this out. Put up a post over there.

You can remove the front drive plates as stated above and disconnect the front DS to see if the front ends frees up totally. Lock the CDL and go for a drive in rear wheel drive and see what you feel. But if you're new to this stuff, have a local help you out.

Yoy get it figured out yet? I got my pump in and I am going to get started installing it tonight if i get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom