Losing 1 psi a week in single tire. Is there a fix? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a single tire that has been losing about 1psi per week. This has been going on for over 2 years. Is there a simple fix for this or do I just live with it. It is just marginally annoying. Tire is a BFG K02 in 275/55/20 on 2011 LX570.

Concerned that the additives would not work with TPMS. Also wondering what the cause would be, there is no sign of a puncture. Maybe I should just have the tire remounted.

Last edited:
do you have a rubber valve stem? or metal?

it could be leaking from the valve stem base if its a rubber valve use very soapy water around its base to see if it leaking there
(needs to be replaced if it is.... sometimes you can get away with deflating the tire {as long as your jacked up that tire} and then twisting the valve stem to re-seat it )

if its leaking from the valve core then you can deflate the tire {as long as your jacked up that tire} and use a core remover to inspect the core... if it looks damaged/seal mangled ... replace it with a spare.... IF it looks good you may have just needed to re-seat the core ... with metal valve stems they pull out the core to deflate the tire and could just be they didnt seat it well putting it back.

if your leaking from the bead .... the tire needs to be removed and the rim dressed up with a wire wheel and reapplied bead sealer

if you have a pin hole in the tire (sometimes you just cant see it if the puncture is small) tire shop will repair it depending on where it is .... with a plug or an inside patch

on the rarity that you have an aluminum rim and it has a casting flaw and its leaking thru that ... the rim will need to be replaced

A shop can find the issue

avoid putting the gunk in your tire - they should be able to find the leak by dunking in a tub of water and looking for bubbles

Thanks all for the guidance here. I had not considered that the valve core could be leaking (metal valve stems). I'll give reseating/replacing the stem a try. If that doesn't fix it, I'll move on to having the bead reset and resealed. Much appreciated.
AA

Soapy water is the first line of defence! I found a leak in a steel wheel after spraying the whole tyre in soap. No bubbles. some of the soap ran on the wheel, and it was actually a hailine crack in the wheel, seeping air at 1 psi a month, down to 15 psi. then there was not enough pressure to open the crack. crap wheel.

Do you wheel much? Inflate and deflate often? Muddy water, sand, dirt and debri can get in between the tire and rim. When you check your metal valve stem core, check the seals around the stem and the rim too. You may have to break the tire bead off the rim and check the inner seal.

I had a similar issue on a BMW sedan. I submerged it in water and saw bubbles coming through the bead seal. The guy at the tire shop said my aluminum rim was corroded causing a bad seal. He put more goop on the bead and it seemed to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom