Loose sunroof in closed position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I close my sunroof the back of the sunroof has about 5mm of up and down movement when pressing on back half of glass. Almost like loose bushing but I have never had one apart. Any ideas?

When I close my sunroof the back of the sunroof has about 5mm of up and down movement when pressing on back half of glass. Almost like loose bushing but I have never had one apart. Any ideas?
The bushings are worn in the slide mechanism. I have the same problem. I took my sunroof apart and found one bushing with a severe flat spot that allowed a lot of up and down movement. On windy days, sometimes the sunroof will flutter on its own. I don't know if the bushings have a toyota part number.

I squeezed the slot/track with some small channel locks and it tightened up. it seemed to be worse on the passenger side. destroyed the trim while removing it, its a rugged look.

The bushings are worn in the slide mechanism. I have the same problem. I took my sunroof apart and found one bushing with a severe flat spot that allowed a lot of up and down movement. On windy days, sometimes the sunroof will flutter on its own. I don't know if the bushings have a toyota part number.
Ok that is what I was thinking. Thanks

I squeezed the slot/track with some small channel locks and it tightened up. it seemed to be worse on the passenger side. destroyed the trim while removing it, its a rugged look.
That’s why I haven’t attempted to take it apart. I’m m sure one of the trim pieces will break and it will be worse than when I started. Currently I adjust the sunroof up till the wind noise stops.

I have looked at the sunroof schematic and it doesn’t show them. Was wondering if the bushing come with a new sunroof. Mine is also rusting in on of the corners. I put POR15 to slow it down but can’t get to all of it without tanking all apart.

Also look at the possibility of adding in more shims to raise the glass.

That’s why I haven’t attempted to take it apart. I’m m sure one of the trim pieces will break and it will be worse than when I started. Currently I adjust the sunroof up till the wind noise stops.
at least the trim cant rattle if its gone :)

I'm in the same boat. Back of glass rattle with slight up down movement. My trim is literally flaking off in brittle pieces...

I don't ever plan to open the glass due to fear of leaking. So I my fab a rubber wedge to push it up- but it got me thinking:

Does the glass seal properly if pressed up or is it sealed when resting down...I don't think I have any leaking and I haven't tested this but from the roof, the glass looks flush.

I'm in the same boat. Back of glass rattle with slight up down movement. My trim is literally flaking off in brittle pieces...

I don't ever plan to open the glass due to fear of leaking. So I my fab a rubber wedge to push it up- but it got me thinking:

Does the glass seal properly if pressed up or is it sealed when resting down...I don't think I have any leaking and I haven't tested this but from the roof, the glass looks flush.
I don’t think it’s a tight seal anyway. That’s what the drains are for. It’s more of an annoyance than anything. Hopefully I can find a new glass window but I haven’t had any luck yet. Going to make a few more calls today.

Forget the trim just bite the bullet and strip it off, the black frame of the sunroof looks just fine. In fact the bare frame looks factory finished enough that no one has noticed the lack of trim up there, and if you do then all you have to do is close the cover.

Once you have the trim out of the way you can push a thin wire into the open slit of the weather seal that borders the glass, this expands the seal and will tighten the sunroofs fit in the opening, some test fitting will need to be done to get the right thickness set. Then when you go to reinstall the glass make sure you shim it up to fit flush with the roof (I used washers to shim).

This got rid of my sunroof flutter and 95% of the wind noise I was experiencing while still retaining its functionality.

If you are looking for a replacement glass piece you will need to rip the plastic trim off your existing unit anyway to take it out, so why not try the DIY at-home fix first? I have a spare glass sunroof that I got from a Pull and Pay, it's seals aren't any better but I might be able to dig it out and give you some 'how to' photos detailing the process I laid out above.

Forget the trim just bite the bullet and strip it off, the black frame of the sunroof looks just fine. In fact the bare frame looks factory finished enough that no one has noticed the lack of trim up there, and if you do then all you have to do is close the cover.

Once you have the trim out of the way you can push a thin wire into the open slit of the weather seal that borders the glass, this expands the seal and will tighten the sunroofs fit in the opening, some test fitting will need to be done to get the right thickness set. Then when you go to reinstall the glass make sure you shim it up to fit flush with the roof (I used washers to shim).

This got rid of my sunroof flutter and 95% of the wind noise I was experiencing while still retaining its functionality.

If you are looking for a replacement glass piece you will need to rip the plastic trim off your existing unit anyway to take it out, so why not try the DIY at-home fix first? I have a spare glass sunroof that I got from a Pull and Pay, it's seals aren't any better but I might be able to dig it out and give you some 'how to' photos detailing the process I laid out above.
Agree with @SmokingRocks the trim is crispy, I guarantee it. Don't both trying to save it.

Yep, in not messing with it till I find a new piece of glass. Toyota discontinued it. Hopefully I’ll come across one at some point and tackle the process you described.
Appreciate you input with this issue. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom