Loose front end component (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, there - the fun started after lifting my 96 LX450 with Ironman medium springs and Ironman pro foam cell shocks. Did the work myself so oversights are quite possible. Installed castor correction bushings as well. Truck became squirrelly quickly there after. I torqued down all bolts (shocks, front control arms, Ironman steering stabilizer) and that fixed 80% of the squirrelyness. Checked front wheel bearings and both sides were loose. Did a full hub rebuild on both sides including races and new koyo bearings, truck now tracks straight. However there remains a distinct feeling that something is rattling around or otherwise loose, particularly underneath the driver side footwell (I realize this is where I sit so could be passenger side as well). I am at my wit's end with what it could be. My thought is that it is the stiffer springs combined with no front bumper and winch are just skipping around a bit without the load. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be? Thanks in advance.

clunk under my feet = swaybar endlink or tie rod end/drag link end. That's what I would inspect first.

clunk under my feet = swaybar endlink or tie rod end/drag link end. That's what I would inspect first.

Woops forgot to add that I installed 555 tie rod ends as well. Will check swaybar endlink. Thank you.

Front swaybar end links seem okay, boot intact and no sign of grease seepage.

I have the Ironman Foamcell pros w/ progressive springs and it rides great. I didn't put in caster correction, but a new steering stabilizer helped quite a bit with the twitchy steering. I'll probably put in caster correction arms later on.

Have you ever changed your front sway D bushings and sway to axle bushings? Those are hard to tell the condition without unbolting them from the sway bar. Just recently changed those and the links out. It didn't 'look' terrible, but the steering is noticeably more responsive with the new ones. Cheap to do so might be worth while to do anyways. Also changed out the rear sway bar bushings/links and that fixed a rear end squeak.

Do you have sliders ?
Sometimes Slee’s can bang against the bottom of the floor

(Long shot, but though I’d pitch it out there)

I have the Ironman Foamcell pros w/ progressive springs and it rides great. I didn't put in caster correction, but a new steering stabilizer helped quite a bit with the twitchy steering. I'll probably put in caster correction arms later on.

Have you ever changed your front sway D bushings and sway to axle bushings? Those are hard to tell the condition without unbolting them from the sway bar. Just recently changed those and the links out. It didn't 'look' terrible, but the steering is noticeably more responsive with the new ones. Cheap to do so might be worth while to do anyways. Also changed out the rear sway bar bushings/links and that fixed a rear end squeak.

I wonder if I should have gone with the progressive springs; I went with mediums that are rated 0-660lbs additional weight. The truck actually steers great, tracks true and steering play is within spec. I will check those bushings out regardless.

Do you have sliders ?
Sometimes Slee’s can bang against the bottom of the floor

(Long shot, but though I’d pitch it out there)

I don't currently but have WKOR sliders on the way. Hoping that the truck just needs a bit more weight and the issue will resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom