Looking for cruise speed sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a replacement cruise control speed sensor for a 91 FJ80. Toyota part # 88261-60010

Attempted to order from dealer, but apparently this is a discontinued part with no updated part #.

From my research this part # fits 91 & 92 only.

I know there are some members that are Toyota affiliates. Any chance someone could check nationwide inventory & let me know if any dealers have one.

OR

If anyone had a solution for an alternative replacement. I'm not opposed to reconfiguring a plug if needed. As long as it will get my cruise back.

Oh, it's all over Google. I even placed an order with Mid-Atlantic Toyota. They even charged me for it. Then....

A few days later I get the email saying "this part is no longer available".

Directly from THAT website -
" When a part number is entered into the search criteria it will show a price but may not be available as an active Toyota/Scion part number! We will contact you by email or by phone to confirm the order and give specific details of the part requested. This catalog does not reflect our current inventory, please contact us at...if you need to verify part availability."

But thanks for trying...

Hence the reason I asked for someone affiliated with Toyota to do an internal inventory availability search.

Hence the reason I asked for someone affiliated with Toyota to do an internal inventory availability search.

Just curious if you have gone through the CC troubleshooting process to determine if the sensor is really the culprit? There is a sequence of buttons, key twists and start/stop-driving that can help you pin-point the problem. Here is the link:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cruise-control-obd.545437/

Also, have you got under the truck and removed the sensor from the transfer case to clean it? I remember reading that it can get dirty and cause the CC to fail. Hopefully its an easy fix. Good luck.

BTW, I tried all of the above and still have not been able to get mine fixed on my 91. I drive in a lot of hills, so a CC isn't as useful to me and hasn't been a focus but I'd love to hear what you find. Good luck.

Nothing to take apart and clean. It's sealed inside.

Wheels chocked, engine running and in drive.
Hold set and turn on the CC, 2 flashes
Resume, 3 flashes.
Cruise lamp should be on.
1. Brake, lamp out.
2. Cancel, lamp out.
3, E-brake, lamp out.
4. Low brake fluid level, lamp out.
5. Put it in neutral, lamp out.
Go drive, below 25 MPH lamp on, over 25 MPH lamp flashes.

2. INSPECT SPEED SENSOR
(a) Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal
1 and the negative (–) lead to terminal 3.
(b) Check that there is continuity between terminal 2 and
the battery negative (–) terminal four times per each revolution
of the shaft.
HINT: Connect the test leads so that the current from the
ohmmeter can flow from terminal 2 to battery negative (–)
terminal.
If operation is not as specified, replace the speed sensor.

Done the troubleshooting steps, everything OK until the over 25mph step, then no flash. Everything points to failed sensor. Everything I've read, in multiple forums, state that on '91 & '92's it's almost always the CC speed sensor.

Haven't tested with a meter yet, but all avenues point to bad sensor. I figured before I started crawling around under her, I'd just get a new sensor. From most of what I've read, if it's not bad NOW, it probably will be before too long; so why not get a new one, then check wiring issues.

Besides, have you ever tried to chase down a wiring gremlin? It's rarely "right there". My plan is replace the sensor, if cruise still doesn't work, then I'll start tracing wiring.

Sadly, I've come to find that the part in question is discontinued. I'm on the hunt for one as well. If you are able to locate one; please let me know. I'll post up if I can track one down.

I was told by a Toyota affiliate that NONE exist on US soil. Wonder if overseas models used this part?

Is yours currently off the vehicle? I'm curious to see inside the box. I tried to slide under and disconnect the cable, but couldn't get enough leverage with my arms twisted up in there. Was going to see if I could repair it or perhaps have the internals fabricated somehow. Cruise control isn't crucial, but this is just a niggling issue I'm determined to fix...

No, not off. But this is a sealed transducer that is a known failure component. I suppose with proper technical knowledge (ie an electrical engineer), this could be rebuilt. Although, from my research, others have attempted to open it up; only to find there are no readily repairable components.

Has anyone taken one of these apart?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't think this is rebuildable at all. It's a simple transducer; so unless you could find a replacement transducer that is exactly the same as the OEM unit (size, pick-up type, pulse per rev, etc), then it's a no go.

I have read that some of the Toyota instrument clusters have an electronic output built in (on the earlier trucks anyway), so there may be a way to bypass this sensor. I have yet to pull apart my dash to inspect the speedo cluster.

I have found some of these used; but the prices seem excessive to me. I got a quote from CruiserYard of $100 shipped. There is a local guy that buys up EVERY 80 around to part out; he wants $75. Both of these prices seem excessive for a part that is 24 years old and prone to failure anyway. I have a hard time swallowing that much for a part that's likely to be a temporary fix at best; considering the new part was $130 - $200.

That Pick-N-Pull is about 2 hours away from me, so I'd spend more in fuel going to get it than I'd save, even though they only want $11 for a speed sensor. I may contact them to see if they'd ship.

Additionally, I've found cable to electronic speed sensors (without the cable pass through); so, if I could find a speedo cable drive splitter (1 input, 2 output) then I could cobble something together.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is rebuildable at all. It's a simple transducer; so unless you could find a replacement transducer that is exactly the same as the OEM unit (size, pick-up type, pulse per rev, etc), then it's a no go.

If I knew more about that sensor (dimensions) maybe I could help.

I'm thinking something like this: http://www.omega.com/pptst/OMDC-MPU-A.html

It has a square wave output which I know is used by the CC on later 80's (generated by the speedo).

I was told by a Toyota affiliate that NONE exist on US soil. Wonder if overseas models used this part?

If the part was used in other applications (this one happens to be 80 Series land Cruiser only and was last used in the 1992 model year) it would be serviced under the same part number and it would still be discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom