Looking for advice on a 96 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, new member checking in from FL. I know this has probably been discussed but I am very short on time this morning so apologies for not doing lots of searching before posting (I have been reading all over the net the last few days).

I've always been a big fan of LCs and have been looking at some of the 80s to use for a few purposes. Main purpose is hauling the family around on short trips (200-500 miles) - wife, baby, two dogs including a 93 lb Dobe, some bags and dog crates. Secondary reason will be doing some light off-roading in FL (trails, mud, sand, etc); and then hopefully the occasional trip out west for some more rugged stuff.

I am looking at a 96 LC with 130k miles, seems to be in great condition from the pics, not sure if it has the electric diff lockers. I will be seeing it in person in an hour and will check.

Question for the group - anything I can look for that would be signs of trouble (other than the obvious oil leaking and rust)?

I am looking at the 96 because of some of the safety features added that year (airbags, ABS) but it still having some of the good old LC features before they started "softening" the ride a little bit. I am slightly hesitant about the six cyl rather than the V8s that came shortly after but also feel the six is pretty solid and I won't be towing anything heavy.

Anything else positive/negative about this specific year? Could be a short timeline to decide so trying to get as much info as possible - THANKS!!

It's a good year to own. IMHO the best, only because that's what I have. I assume you know what to look for, but hg and valve cover gasket seepage, engage the diff locks if applicable, front axle, rust (yes even in Florida, btw I used to live in Weston), and I'm sure I forgot 20 other things

Maintenance records would be a top priority. What's been done already? Oil changes? ATF changes? Front axle service? If you are worried about accidents, then you can check for proper alignment of the body panels, and make sure that every piece (door, hatch, hood, etc.) has the matching VIN sticker with the dash plaque.

Pretty much everything can be addressed/fixed by you, so at this point you are just looking for items that you could negotiate on - oil leaks, leaking at the front axle (at the steering knuckle behind the front tire), etc. Just because it has low mileage doesn't mean problems won't exist - it is still 15 years old and things deteriorate over time...

I just got back from checking it out - overall it looks good. Headliner is a bit dirty so I'd just replace it. New paint as of a few months ago due to old paint fading (according to the owner). No evident of body damage other than some light front end damage - the bottom edge of the grill is dented and there is some slight bending to the thin supports directly behind it. There is a small mark on the radiator where said support pressed into it but no marks or damage to the frame or structure. I plan on replacing the bumpers anyway so not a big concern. The engine started right up and the RPMs increased steadily and smoothly.

Here are some pics behind the front wheels and of the engine. Lots of stuff caked on, nothing very wet looking like I would expect from a more steady leak. This is where I could use some help if anyone notices anything that jumps out as a potential problem. Unless there is something (major) glaringly wrong, I plan on taking it to a mechanic to check compression and go over the vehicle before finalizing anything. Any help is appreciated! (Any referrals to a good LC mechanic in the south Broward / north Miami-Dade county area would also help!)

Looks pretty rusty.. needs shocks. but might need axle service check the grease.

Looks pretty rusty.. needs shocks. but might need axle service check the grease.

x2, I would want to know where it lived. That's an odd place for rust, I would bet it's got some serious cancer hiding somewhere.

X3 in the rust. Very interesting spots. Vehicle history is worth its weight in peace of mind. Does the current owner live close to the beach? I ask because I used to, and my truck has weird rust spots too. Did he have a boat to launch or like to cruise on the beach?
On a positive note... The tie rod ends look to be in great shape.

Thanks everyone. I too noticed the rust but it did not seem like a lot - any idea how difficult/expensive it may be to replace some of the parts you noticed? I would do this while doing a front axle rebuild so the truck will already be apart to some degree.

No idea on history or how it's been used. The owner speaks very little English, has had the truck for about three years and is the third owner. He drove it to work and back but can't afford gas anymore and they are going down to one car. (obviously per the owner)

Pros - interior is in excellent condition, only has 136k miles, engine sounded great, and everything seems to be in really good shape other than what I posted.

Cons - no history, front axle condition, and no lockers.

I really wanted to find one with lockers, but to get a truck with 2/3 the miles of everything else I have found I don't mind spending a little cash on the axle, shocks, etc. Now if there are bigger concerns due to rust that could mean major repairs down the road I don't think I'd go for it.

I am trying to line up a mechanic today to look the truck over and do a compression test (among others) to rule out major concerns.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help so far. I am a member on a lot of forums and so far am very impressed with this one and have found some really good info. I also spent half the night drooling over the pics of the expedition builds :D

Underside Looks norm for a florida truck- You have guys replying from aZ and CA who do not see rust ever- Florida / coastal trucks need thorough inspecion on top- ie gutters, window/windshied gaskets/roof raks- emblems and spoilers- this is where EC salt settles from the atmosphere- i am in the NEast- have seen and worked on trucks from all over the world and owned a rustproofing/repair shop for 12+ years.

^^^^ this
And I'm from California. We do get rust too though, if it's parked on the beach.

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up passing on the truck in Miami and picking up one yesterday in NC. Things worked out very well so far!

UFGatorLC said:
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up passing on the truck in Miami and picking up one yesterday in NC. Things worked out very well so far!

And no pics? Come on we need pics

Here you go -

Got it from a member on here over the weekend.

VhDp0.jpg

mGKZO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom