Looking for advice from LX owners, would you do it again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I keep bouncing all over the place with what I’m looking for.

What I want is a LC200 with <150k miles for 25-30k. Except anything in that price range is rusted, busted, or both.

I want the LC over an LX mostly for KDSS, my plan is a mini overland build I can the family out for a couple nights at a time in. Definitely want to get off the beaten path, but unlikely to be a lot of rock crawling.

My question to all you LX owners with the same intentions or are out there exploring. Are you happy? Or do you secretly with you had a LC?

Thanks,

No regrets whatsoever. As much as we all want to be hardcore overlanders and wheelers, most of our time spent on pavement. The creature comforts make the LX such a good daily.

But. You can’t go wrong really. I would get the lowest mile / best maintained example that you can get your hands on.

We have a 2013 LX that I've put some bigger tires on along with spacers and done a sensor lift and I'm putting on a victory 4 x 4 roof rack tomorrow. We love it. Get an extra few inches of height when needed which is not often. The bigger tires and spacers really make it look great and add some functionality. And my wife likes that it's a lexus.

I also get to use a bone stick 2013 LC a few times a year and I much prefer my slightly modified lx. The LX is also a much better tow vehicle in my opinion with ahc keeping everything nice and level.

Zero regrets. Unless I planned to really build something out with big mods I'd go lx all day.

Unlike you I started by looking for a 4Runner, then I sampled some Tacos, some FJ Cruisers, and still unconvinced I tried an LC just for kicks as it was in the parking lot.
I wasn't convinced yet and just because there were a few LX's I tried that to.

Then I got serious about the 200 and looked at real prices (the place I was drive testing had ridiculous prices on all the above). I had a budget and the LC were overpriced by a lot (probably they still are). I found a very nice LX no rust, no off road, no snow, garage parked, etc. and below market price so I got it (it was not easy but that a completely different and strange story).

Looking back I'm very happy. I really like the AHC. Loading and unloading the trunk especially with heavy stuff is much better with AHC on low when parked. Recently one of my family members had knee surgery. The LX with huge interior, power rear seats, AHC in comfort mode and lowering when parked did very well. Towing is so pleasant, plenty of power and AHC keeps things level that I only noticed the tow when braking (yes brakes need an upgrade but they are the same on LC). I got the dark interior and it is so nice and comfortable. I do not have to clean every day and it still looks very good.

I do not do off roading. Just forest roads on which I never have any issue no matter the speed and I can still park when the parking is full at the trail head by switching the suspension to Hi and parking over the trench on the side of the road.
I do a lot of winter miles in snow and even with the A/S highway tires it did fine. The only time I had to go in crawl mode was on a steep road when most of the awd cars also had problems.

No, I do not secretly wish I got an LC. The missing part that LC had was the roof rack, but I got a LC one from members here so that is solved.

P.S. last year your budget would have been insufficient for the LC you are looking for. I do not think they got cheaper in the meantime :) But you could get an LX in that budget.

I saved at least $10k by going the LX route and have zero regrets. The savings have basically paid for all my armor and allows me to go much further than a stock LC would allow. Sure, with an unlimited budget I would prefer a LC, but with the cost gap so large, I would get an LX again in a heartbeat. Plus it’s fun to get those second looks like “WTF is that Lexus?”

I want the LC over an LX mostly for KDSS, my plan is a mini overland build I can the family out for a couple nights at a time in. Definitely want to get off the beaten path, but unlikely to be a lot of rock crawling.

Lots of reasons to get an LC if your hearts set on it.

KDSS may not be one of those reasons. The core articulation technology of KDSS that is the Tenneco kinetic suspension cross linking technology is actually a part of the more comprehensive AHC system. The sway bar mechanism of KDSS can also be a constraint to larger and wider tire sizes, where the LX more easily fits 35s for example.

No regrets. It’s 90% the same vehicle. For anything but the most extreme use case, they’re pretty much the same, with the lx being a bit more in a lot of categories, which some like and some don’t.
If you really need to be super dedicated on the suspension, say for Baja running or something, you just pull the ahc and put in the special $8k suspension. Same as you’d do on a tlc.

The major drawback used to be aftermarket support, but at this point there ar a couple options Of all the pieces you’d need made for lx.

I have both. The "bling" on the LX took some getting used to but there is no way that I'd get another LC but I'd get a LX right away. I tow so the LX is far superior with the AHC so I can't see myself going back to a vehicle that doesn't go up and down.

I’ve had my ‘13 LX for going on 10 years now. Personally only way I would have considered an LC at the time is if it was at least $20k less. For what you are talking about LX all the way. I’m in Alaska, off road, overland, camp, fish, hunt, bike, hike, berry pick,…. Take it above the Arctic circle regularly. Basically Live Out of the LX all summer

DF52C01B-2EF8-4214-A316-3A78338FD840.jpeg

612F867F-F75B-469A-8F6C-DA597E8AF804.jpeg

93DE3788-0118-43EC-994B-A6D02BBAAD26.jpeg

2C9B26D9-AF39-43A1-9209-BC867F725D99.jpeg

E5E0CD2C-D163-4C8D-A55E-CB4F0CA2FF7F.jpeg

I bought a new LX in 2014 to replace my 1998 100. Got a huge discount (almost $20,000 off sticker because of the gas prices at the time). Immediately regretted it. Big wheels and adjustable suspension resulted in a very weird ride. The AHC was cool but not all that interesting to me. The third row seats were a pain to remove. The running boards were glued on and not easily removable. The roof rails were short as well. Final straw, the sunroof shattered due to defective anealing. In general, I just didn’t like it. Traded it in after 22,000 miles (losing only $1,000 dollars between purchase and trade price!) on a new 2015 200. Never looked back.

161B246F-2650-4FA9-9C3B-55C1DE6AC939.jpeg

8EDCAF89-3FA0-4143-B3AD-5623032657C1.jpeg

I have both: 2014LX/2020LX/2020Cruiser. The 2008-2015 LX/LC are not as different as the 2016+ models - due to styling and interior electronic changes in later years.

The LX has more comfortable seats, a better stereo, and is slightly quieter on the inside. I think the 2020 Cruiser on 18's is smoother and quieter on the highway than the 2014LX and 2020LX.

The 2020 LX's (2016+) HMI interface is horrific - as is the expansive use of piano black plastic. As an engineer, I appreciate the symmetry offered by the LC and earlier LXs. The 2016LX interior feels smaller due to the dash and silly ipad-esque trendy widescreen that's just stuck in place. If I were to rock an LX, it would be pre-2016 for me. An LC, 2016+.

Happy to answer specific questions.

I’ve had my ‘13 LX for going on 10 years now. Personally only way I would have considered an LC at the time is if it was at least $20k less. For what you are talking about LX all the way. I’m in Alaska, off road, overland, camp, fish, hunt, bike, hike, berry pick,…. Take it above the Arctic circle regularly. Basically Live Out of the LX all summer

View attachment 3039531

View attachment 3039532

View attachment 3039535

View attachment 3039536

View attachment 3039537
Sweet truck! Did you upgrade to lc roof rails? My only regret is my lx has shorter roof rails vs the LC.

Hi everyone,

I keep bouncing all over the place with what I’m looking for.

What I want is a LC200 with <150k miles for 25-30k. Except anything in that price range is rusted, busted, or both.

My question to all you LX owners with the same intentions or are out there exploring. Are you happy? Or do you secretly with you had a LC?

Thanks,
Lx are great trucks because they typically are driven by money’d women that drive back and forth to the cc and have the truck regularly serviced by Lexus. My 2015 truck still smells new and the back seat looks like it was never sat in. Underneath all that chrome and leather is a heavy, safe, extremely reliable, extremely capable truck. Only other knock is the stupid small fuel tank.

Lots of reasons to get an LC if your hearts set on it.

KDSS may not be one of those reasons. The core articulation technology of KDSS that is the Tenneco kinetic suspension cross linking technology is actually a part of the more comprehensive AHC system. The sway bar mechanism of KDSS can also be a constraint to larger and wider tire sizes, where the LX more easily fits 35s for example.

I pretty much bought my LC because of KDSS. The turning radius and overall handling of the LX was larger and too disconnected from the road. The LX wins in every other category in my book. I daily wonder which one I would be happier in as LX has awesome features - I do like AHC when paired with the right tire. Stock tires were not comfy to me. The LC is more of a drivers car due to springs and KDSS, the LX is more of a passenger car. I don't think I could have driven 200k miles in a LX as its too boring and lifeless from my perspective. I don't like the feeling when I corner hard in the LX. It just doesn't give any feedback. I like the look of LX more than LC depending on year and color. I would totally put 35s on the LX.

Love my LX (2009) and I don't know that I'd do it differently if given the chance. Once I decided on a 200 series, I searched daily for ~6 mos. (Cargurus, FB Marketplace, Carmax, etc.). before I found my LX. I learned 3 things pretty quick:

1. LX's are more plentiful in my area (just outside Atlanta)
2. LX'S are consistently ~$5k cheaper than comparable year/mileage LC's
3. There seem to be more babied LX's vs. LC's

Bought in Nov. of 2021. Mine was a one-owner 2009, 113k miles and a solid Lexus service history. I paid just over $29k for it. I bought retail and was willing to pay a little more for condition and low mileage and it was 3 miles down the road. The interior of the LX is super nice and a very comfortable ride. Just carried my 5-person family on a 5 hr. trip to and from Hilton Head, SC pulling a 5x10 trailer loaded with our golf cart, bikes, cooler, etc. and did so with ease. Tech is dated but still serves its purpose. AHC works perfectly and helps balance the load. My only complaints about the vehicle are the gas mileage and small fuel tank. But I knew that going into it and don't think it would be much different in a LC.

I don't wheel hard and the LX has been plenty capable in it's stock form for what I've needed it to do. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I don't regret my LX purchase. Good luck with your search!

Sweet truck! Did you upgrade to lc roof rails? My only regret is my lx has shorter roof rails vs the LC.
Yes LC rails about 2 years ago. They only make a big difference with my canoe. Such an easy swap, I really Should have done them sooner. For crossbars I have 66” yakama round bars (the same ones that I’ve had for ~20 years), switching to 78” when I get around to it so I can haul the skinny basket and RTT. Only other mod is 17” rims with 33’s.

E1CF670E-EE26-42E8-8A2A-79AF1ACC3C3C.jpeg

I was on the same boat. I wanted an LC, but the inventory for a used one within budget (<$40k and under 150k miles) within the last two years was very limited. I did find a few online, but either someone beat me to it or there was always a catch (salvage, damaged, rust, too far, etc.). I gave up looking for one and out of the blue, I found the right LX570 for me. Having owned an 80 and driven 100s and a 200 on deployments in the past, I still wish I had a 200, because of my attachment to the Landcruiser badge. In hindsight, I love my LX570 and I have no regrets. Best of luck to you on your quest for finding an LC within your budget and specs.

Zero regrets. Even driving my buddies 2020 HE back to back with my 2013 I still prefer the LX. AHC is incredibly practical, even when not driving. The auto-kneel is great, my 3 and 5 year old can climb in and out easily even on 35's. In Low mode I can easily load my roof top cargo box standing flat on the ground or throw my 12ft raft and frame on the roof solo. Raise it to high mode when I need to pop underneath to change oil or snug up skid plate bolts. It also cool in deep snow... During a freak blizzard I completely high centered the LX in 2+ ft of wet snow (All 4 wheels just spinning hopelessly with only the unsprung weight of the wheel/tire on an icy road.) sat there for a moment visualizing myself getting splattered by a snowplow while I tried to dig myself out in the middle of the road in a total white out... then remember AHC, switched it into high, felt the truck lift itself off the compacted snow and backed right out and went on my way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom