Looking at two GX470s - input appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have am finally ready to sell the jeep and buy (I think) a GX470 (though I could be talked into a really nice priced low mileage 80/100 - unicorn). Even then, I think I want to build a GX. I have been looking a couple months and there are a lot of rusty, wrecked, poor condition, overpriced GXs out there.

I have come across two that may be the ones.

1. 2007 Silver/Gray non-nav with 175k. I have driven it and it mechanically it seems fine and starts right up even after sitting for a couple months. Service history from 0-150k is very good (other than timing belt) but the last 22k are a mystery. No accidents. Needs: timing belt/wp for sure, but I have not *seen* anything else that stands out.

2. 2005 Ash Blu/Gray non-nav sport with 165k (I would prefer Black or Silver, but can deal with Ash). I have not seen in person yet (3+ hour drive), but from the videos and pics it *might* be slightly better cosmetically. Service history up to 100k is decent but after that it gets sparse. Last lexus dealer it was at recently leads me to believe I need an axle seal, timing service, and front struts. This one has been in two accidents up front (neither towed) but I can tell the front bumper is a slight shade off in the video (plan to replace with metaltech).

3. Be patient and keep looking

Neither are northern trucks and I will replace all fluids, spark plugs, etc. The 2005 is $1000 more at the moment, but I think they may be a little more negotiable than the 07. I have never driven a KDSS one, and have been on the lookout as I *think* I want it, but I dont know that it is a deal breaker. I plan to do front bumper and probably 2 in lift. It will be my daily driver commuting in Atlanta. I dont go "mudding" but we will do forest service roads and love moab with the jeep (family of 5). I am also going to set it up to tow behind the RV.

It seems the 07 is the better deal because it is same mileage, no accidents and more service history. You didnt share the $$ of each, just the difference between the 2.

I would lean towards the 07' except for color. I cant stand silver, but that's just my taste.

For me, I really wanted a non-nav for upgrade reason and I really didn't want KDSS. KDSS is great on a stock to stock comparison but it starts limiting options when you're modifying your vehicle. With all the long travel options on the market, and with the plans I had, I didn't need it.

Without KDSS, I can put an 8.2 elocked axle from a donor with or without KDSS. The same isn't true for a KDSS vehicle.

KDSS vehicles definitely corner flatter than non KDSS vehicles though.

This came up in another thread, but previous paintwork doesn't scare me off, but previous damage that involved panel replacement does. I worked at a body shop years ago and saw on many occasions how inferior aftermarket body panels, brackets and hardware is. With 2 previous accidents, you have no idea what parts were replaced and if the work was done correctly. If someone spot welded studs to pull dents on a factory panel and didn't recoat the back side of the panel, it could be rusting from the inside and you wouldn't know unless you pulled it apart.

I NEVER buy vehicles with previous front end damage. That alone would make my decision.

Let the build begin! Congrats

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom