Looking at a LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you wonder how we decided to get a LX...

We are empty nesters. This is going to be my snow vehicle in winter and our camper in the summer.
To be honest I'm a guy that likes Scandinavian design: beautiful but simple and practical. Lexus is not it. Volvo is (and I own one) but they stopped making trucks like LC long time ago.
It is also a bit of fulfilling a dream as 26 years ago I wanted a Hilux (coming from Europe) and then once I was in the US I wanted a red LC (Tacoma and Hilux have never been the same car). LC was the dream that you leave behind in high school and do not revisit or you're in for a big disappointment :) This is why now we started our search with 4Runner and Tacoma.
I also never owned a V8. Kind of American icon that I never fully understood as I do not like loud V8's.
All those are coming to an end, the future is much different. V8 will look like past 12cyl cars. It will be V6 turbo with lots of speeds and hybrids. Don't get me wrong I'm a turbo guy and love them especially when modified, and they are so much more flexible and less thirsty.
I said to my wife let's get the monster truck - the LX, and if we do not like it/find it not practical or too expensive for us we can just sell it at little loss if any. The style and colors are a bit boring for me and the interior a bit over the top but at my age I start to care less what others think.
One condition wife had was that this should not be or become a restoration or performance project as I just completed a restoration one and I have a performance one going on for 3 years now. The LX helps with that having plenty of stuff from the start and not as huge an aftermarket as LC to be tempted so much. The only future project I can see is the "lift" but you guys gave me reassurance and it is not complicated - this will not be a rock crawler machine for me. Oh... and getting a proper long roof rack for my canoe.

Now only to find the right one for us. Easy, right:)

Factor in some 33” tires and it sounds like you are golden.

It’s been said here before but 13-15 is best combo of looks and features, but don’t sleep on early LXs. They are the most “low key” and the differences between them and the 13-15, are mostly just incremental updates, so you aren’t missing out on a ton. Not like the massive update of the 2016-now…

Biggest differences to me in order of importance:

4wd tech - Crawl Control has 2 more speeds and turn assist added.
HID headlights (mitigated by new tech with LEDs that can be installed on 08-11s)
12v Port in 2nd Row
Blinkers on the mirrors (really digging now to find differences)

For that you trade slightly more "look at me" styling and a more intrusive rear entertainment system if installed. The entire drivetrain is exactly the same.

There are other cosmetic differences, but not much to be concerned about when shopping. I'm certainly not poo-ing on the 13-15, as i'd take one if it fit in my budget. But you aren't laying up too short by buying a 08-11.

Last edited:
I'm keeping the skis inside or in a cargo box. The time when you could drive with the skis on the roof are long gone, when there was only snow getting on them. Nowdays there is salt and sand that will damage both the bindings and the bases. As a pro that is completely unacceptable.

I do not like that short rack and honestly I find it stupid for Lexus to provide that. Other premium manufacturers have full length rails. I never use OEM crossbars as I found them inadequate, made for looks. I'm only using Thule square cross bars that are quick to install and remove so I do not have to put up with the noise when there is nothing on the rack. Thanks for the tip on finding some LC rails. BTW are the OEM crossbars removable on the LC rack?

I have cars with active suspension that are not as problem free as you say about LX. Because of that I can understand the benefits of active suspension and also know the pain when it is not working. So far I'm willing to put up with the pain if I can get it fixed.

I'm not sure I got a straight answer to my question of how high the clearance is. Specs is saying 8.9" but is the 2" range above that or below.
Also I read that you cannot force it to stay on high or on low all the time - is that true?
It sounds like people are happy with it though.
I’m a former professional skier (now coach) and have 2 teens that race FIS. I use yakama rail grab with the 66 inch round bars on the factory rails on my LX with two yakima fresh tracks six racks the vast majority of the time. Skis open in on the roof. I also have two yakama boxes that I use when we travel into Canada and yearly down to Hood in June/July and only racing/training tech. I don’t have big enough boxes to carry the 220s. It’s not uncommon for me to be carrying 12 pairs of skis between the three of us to a race. I will add though we don’t salt or sand the roads here in Alaska, I travel with unscraped base wax and then wax and prep on site after travel.

Since you will be driving in snow a lot you will enjoy the start in 2nd feature. When you accelerate from a stop, the vehicle starts in 2nd gear. It really helps with wheel spin in snow.

I’m a former professional skier (now coach) and have 2 teens that race FIS. I use yakama rail grab with the 66 inch round bars on the factory rails on my LX with two yakima fresh tracks six racks the vast majority of the time. Skis open in on the roof. I also have two yakama boxes that I use when we travel into Canada and yearly down to Hood in June/July and only racing/training tech. I don’t have big enough boxes to carry the 220s. It’s not uncommon for me to be carrying 12 pairs of skis between the three of us to a race. I will add though we don’t salt or sand the roads here in Alaska, I travel with unscraped base wax and then wax and prep on site after travel.
Oh, the joy of being a coach and an athlete parent at the same time. I'm usually carrying a few pairs but never 12 pairs.
20 years ago all they were putting on was some sand, occasionally. It was also rare to have the road closed for avy control. Now it's always that dreaded brine along with the sand. I do not blame the DOT. Population has exploded, truck traffic even more, and they have to keep the mountain passes open for economic reasons and the stupid drivers safe for no good reason. To give you an example, one or two winters ago there was a Ferrari spun out blocking two lanes...

Factor in some 33” tires and it sounds like you are golden.

It’s been said here before but 13-15 is best combo of looks and features, but don’t sleep on early LXs. They are the most “low key” and the differences between them and the 13-15, are mostly just incremental updates, so you aren’t missing out on a ton. Not like the massive update of the 2016-now…

Biggest differences to me in order of importance:

4wd tech - Crawl Control has 2 more speeds and turn assist added.
HID headlights (mitigated by new tech with LEDs that can be installed on 08-11s)
12v Port in 2nd Row
Blinkers on the mirrors (really digging now to find differences)

For that you trade slightly more "look at me" styling and a more intrusive rear entertainment system if installed. The entire drivetrain is exactly the same.

There are other cosmetic differences, but not much to be concerned about when shopping. I'm certainly not poo-ing on the 13-15, as i'd take one if it fit in my budget. But you aren't laying up too short by buying a 08-11.
The HID's are important to me. The retrofit route is tricky depending on the car model. Very easy on my 09 Outback (just open and swap the projectors with a bit of trimming to fit proper D2S), but much harder on others. LED is hit and miss even for fog lights, and replacing the bulb in the headlights with LED/HID/etc. is not a good idea, at least in my experience. You got to have an LED/HID projector for that to work as it should. So I do not know how easy or if possible to retrofit HID projectors in earlier years.

The style is not great even on 14+. I really don't dig the new bow-tie style Lexus adopted across the line. Oh well I have to compromise on something.

The 2015+ are out of my budget so I'm not even looking.

I went from a 2011 GX 460 to a 2021 LC heritage 2-row. I really like the GX. The fuel economy / range was much better (up to 400 miles a tank) compared to 330 max with the LC200. I ended up getting a 40 gal aux fuel tank to keep my sanity. Now I have a spare tire problem but I had that with the GX too since I 32.6 inch tires on it.

Good luck! both are great but the GX has a special place in my heart.

Honestly if not for GX460 rear swinging door I would have never looked at the LX.

The HID's are important to me. The retrofit route is tricky depending on the car model. Very easy on my 09 Outback (just open and swap the projectors with a bit of trimming to fit proper D2S), but much harder on others. LED is hit and miss even for fog lights, and replacing the bulb in the headlights with LED/HID/etc. is not a good idea, at least in my experience. You got to have an LED/HID projector for that to work as it should. So I do not know how easy or if possible to retrofit HID projectors in earlier years.

The style is not great even on 14+. I really don't dig the new bow-tie style Lexus adopted across the line. Oh well I have to compromise on something.

The 2015+ are out of my budget so I'm not even looking.
The 08-11 LXs still have projector setups, and there have been multiple successful hid conversions Into those projectors. Also people have retrofitted factory Lexus hid projectors from the RX if it’s that important. But really, the factory projector and a quality LED bulb is pretty effective. But maybe I’m not as picky as some. I can say, before my LX all but one of the vehicles I’ve driven in last 12 yrs has had HID, and my LX already had LEDs installed when I purchased it, and I just assumed they were HID until further research revealed otherwise.

Wife asked me tonight why haven't I looked more closely at LC. We have not test driven the LC but just sat into one after returning from LX test drive.
She actually doesn't like the LX's interior but loves the LC's. Main reasons are the number of buttons the LX has and the leather in the one we tested - "parchment" as Lexus calls it. I think the vibe she got was of too much luxury for an SUV. Yes, the luxury is a bit over the top but if I recall these cars cost $80k when new so I kind of getting it. Now at $40K it is a bit too much :)
Anyway my plan was to get a black interior to tone it down, but mainly to make it practical and save me from heaving to clean that parchment thing.
So let me start digging more into the LC :)
I'll report back.

Last edited:
The 08-11 LXs still have projector setups, and there have been multiple successful hid conversions Into those projectors. Also people have retrofitted factory Lexus hid projectors from the RX if it’s that important.
It actually is. I know each person has its own light perception/sensitivity. I'm getting older so I'm getting more demanding of light quality.
Thanks for letting me know about the successful retrofit. The stock for newer LX's in my price range and location is limited. I may have to widen my net.

Wife asked me tonight why haven't I looked more closely at LC. We have not test driven the LC but just sat into one after returning from LX test drive.
She actually doesn't like the LX's interior but loves the LC's. Main reasons are the number of buttons the LX has and the leather in the one we tested - "parchment" as Lexus calls it. I think the vibe she got was of too much luxury for an SUV. Yes, the luxury is a bit over the top but if I recall these cars cost $80k when new so I kind of getting it. Now at $40K it is a bit too much :)
Anyway my plan was to get a black interior to tone it down, but mainly to make it practical and save me from heaving to clean that parchment thing.
So let me start digging more into the LC :)
I'll report back.
200 series LCs have been more like in the $80k’s new LX more like $90k’s new.

One ding against the really early LX or LC is the lack of bluetooth audio streaming. I think this was introduced in 2010. Some may not care about it, but it is an important feature for others.

One ding against the really early LX or LC is the lack of bluetooth audio streaming. I think this was introduced in 2010. Some may not care about it, but it is an important feature for others.

Though that is easily retrofitted with something like a Grom BT adapter.

like a Grom BT adapter
My experience with Grom in my Volvo was not good. I know many are happy with them but for me it was always trouble having to disconnect it and reconnect it to the car to make it work for a little while. Taking panels off each time was not fun. Now it is just a piece of dead weight until I switch the headunit to aftermarket.

My experience with Grom in my Volvo was not good. I know many are happy with them but for me it was always trouble having to disconnect it and reconnect it to the car to make it work for a little while. Taking panels off each time was not fun. Now it is just a piece of dead weight until I switch the headunit to aftermarket.

Sure, that's a good reason to go for what you want and it's certainly a possibility with anything aftermarket. There's many adapters on the market. Just pointing out the one I've used successfully and transparently for 6 yrs now.

I'd personally look at the longer list of LX features that are unlikely or impossible to retrofit. Perhaps BT is more important to you and the others less important which is helpful to identify in your research.

I'll report back
So it was quick. LC is no go. People think that LC is kind of collectible that is worth asking a lot for it. In some cases that is $14k more than the LX for same year and miles. I was looking mainly for 2013, the year I'm looking for LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom