Looking at a 91 Prado. Any advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for an 80 series but they seem difficult to find and I've been warned about the horrible gas milage.

My local Toyota Dealer has a 91 RHD JDM on the lot, 48,000km although the interior is kinda rough with broken handels etc.

Any advice on the prados?

I imagine the handle off road well.

Did they ever come with factor locking diffs or is that an aftermarket.

Any advice if I go look at one.

I suppose for a real hard core enthusiast the 80 would be the choice, however diesel JDM 80s do not appear to have ever been equiped with a 3rd row seat (Gas only)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

My advice is to search LJ78 or 2LTE in the 70 series section.

The engine on the prado seems to be problematic. Head fails on numerous ones.

First off, don't trust the odometer. At 48,000km the unit should show as almost new. Rough interior, broken handles and s*** like that suggest a rolled-back odo.

Second, the third row seats on the Prado are useless for all but an agile 10-year-old. Do not buy an LJ78 for the 3rd row seats.

They do handle well off-road.

As BB said, do a good search of this forum, and decide if you're still ready to take the plunge.

Thanks for the info.

I have been looking at the various forums. So much to read and learn. I think I'm pretty well versed on the 80 and was even considering importing one from Panama. But the logistics are a bit of a challange for me.

The third row seat would only be used by the kids, and only occasionally.

I'll check out the LJ 78

Thanks for the help.

If its still got electric hubs, check them out,
Turn on the key, press 'HUB LOCK ' button, [you should hear the hub motors enguaging], but not the 4WD button, make sure your in 2WD , get under and turn the front drive shaft, if the hubs are OK you won't be able to turn the shaft. if the drive shaft turns then the hub are not working.

Thanks for the info.

I have been looking at the various forums. So much to read and learn. I think I'm pretty well versed on the 80 and was even considering importing one from Panama. But the logistics are a bit of a challange for me.

The third row seat would only be used by the kids, and only occasionally.

I'll check out the LJ 78

Thanks for the help.

somehow I think you have not read the threads about LJ heads failing. Apparently they will, and it is not a cheap repair.
Just to be sure you have been warned...

I have no first hand experience, but after people like wayne/crushers actually researched the topic, I would not touch an LT with a 10 foot pole.

somehow I think you have not read the threads about LJ heads failing. Apparently they will, and it is not a cheap repair.
Just to be sure you have been warned...

I have no first hand experience, but after people like wayne/crushers actually researched the topic, I would not touch an LT with a 10 foot pole.

I've been reading them now. Most of my reading to date has been on the 80 series.

From the posts I've read, yes the head is a problem, replacement heads are slightly thicker therefore not likely to fail twice? 3l head can be added with a spacer to lower compression... still reading and learning.

Now.. are the heads the only concern... Friend of mine with a HiLux bought from a dealer in Calgary who says they will either repaire the head when it fails, or has repaired.. forget the whole story.

I'll keep reading but anthing else to be concerned about?

Thanks for the help so far.

I've been reading them now. Most of my reading to date has been on the 80 series.

From the posts I've read, yes the head is a problem, replacement heads are slightly thicker therefore not likely to fail twice? 3l head can be added with a spacer to lower compression... still reading and learning.

Now.. are the heads the only concern... Friend of mine with a HiLux bought from a dealer in Calgary who says they will either repaire the head when it fails, or has repaired.. forget the whole story.

I'll keep reading but anthing else to be concerned about?

Thanks for the help so far.

The best person to ask would be Wayne. My understanding is that besides the head they are great trucks.

cheers,
J

Wayne, you mentioned elec rear locker. I learned with the 80s it is a particular axle code plus the rotary dial.

What about on the 78? push button somewhere and axle code?

Wayne, you mentioned elec rear locker. I learned with the 80s it is a particular axle code plus the rotary dial.

What about on the 78? push button somewhere and axle code?

Axle codes are here http://www.cruiserfaq.com/09-01.html

The dial or push button is irrelevant to the code . The code is size of diff+ratio+type(locker,lsd or open) and for the rear diff only

Axle codes are here http://www.cruiserfaq.com/09-01.html

The dial or push button is irrelevant to the code . The code is size of diff+ratio+type(locker,lsd or open) and for the rear diff only

Right, I realize the method of selecting is irrelevant, i was just wondering in the 78 where I find the switch.

So in an 80 a the axle code on a truck with lockers is 294... so how does that work on the chart? is it 29 for the 4 10 and 4 for lockers? so the 295 axle is 410s with a limited slip? 292 would be 410s and open and 293 4 10 with limited slip? on one axle only? am I understanding this?

Right, I realize the method of selecting is irrelevant, i was just wondering in the 78 where I find the switch.

So in an 80 a the axle code on a truck with lockers is 294... so how does that work on the chart? is it 29 for the 4 10 and 4 for lockers? so the 295 axle is 410s with a limited slip? 292 would be 410s and open and 293 4 10 with limited slip? on one axle only? am I understanding this?

Yeah ,you kind of have it,but the landcruisers have 4.11 which is a different ring and pinion to a 4.10.

1st comes the alpha part ,either K or G,then the ratio,08 for 4.11,then the 2,4,or 5 so it looks K084

A LJ78 would be G+14+4 or similar. I cant remember the diff ratio for them

hey tommy
i have had a prado with the 2L-TE now and have had over 200k with no head problems. they are good offroad as well. mine has factory rear lockers. 3rd row seats suck. mine is gonna be 4 sale soon, the wife wants a HDJ81 like the one i have. my "new" one has 86k original and is in great shape.
if you drive it like a small diesel should be driven and change the coolant when you should you wont blow a head.
good luck

hey tommy
i have had a prado with the 2L-TE now and have had over 200k with no head problems. they are good offroad as well. mine has factory rear lockers. 3rd row seats suck. mine is gonna be 4 sale soon, the wife wants a HDJ81 like the one i have. my "new" one has 86k original and is in great shape.
if you drive it like a small diesel should be driven and change the coolant when you should you wont blow a head.
good luck

your sig says the LJ78 you have is locked front and rear...what locker did you install in the front? also, did you put all 200,000 km on that unit?
making a statement like "you won't blow a head" is very misleading with a 60%- 70% head failure rate in Canada.

hey tommy
good luck

when you change the coolent use Toyota coolent and I REPEAT make sure you bleed the air out of the system . Front of vehicle up or back down. After all the heads going I cant see why these are more popular than ever!
aaron kuit

Noob

Bought my 90 Prado with 123,000 in late April with etended warranty. It has been great so far.
It is leaking oil at the rear main and turbo. Also, start up makes a big blue smokie, so i guess the O's are going. Warranty! And i guess while this is happening i should throw in a 3L head...
I want three inches of lift, proper front and rear bumpers, and what is with the aluminum siding? Give me 33's or give me a shovel.
Looking for local expertice and someone to cruise with.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, i am excited to find and be involved with this group

your sig says the LJ78 you have is locked front and rear...what locker did you install in the front? also, did you put all 200,000 km on that unit?
making a statement like "you won't blow a head" is very misleading with a 60%- 70% head failure rate in Canada.

Agreed.
I will never buy any vehicle that is powered by the 2LT-II or TE.
Almost all of these trucks running around in my area have had the heads replaced.
And some more than twice now.
And to top it all off the Toyota dealer will no longer sell any parts for these trucks even if you supply the part# and pay in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom