Looking at a KZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I’m going to be checking out a 1995 KZJ78 this weekend and was hoping the knowledge here could help me know some things to look out for. I’ve done some research on these models and understand they aren’t as heavy duty as some other land cruisers, and I’ve seen that they can crack heads if overheated. With that being said I think it will be well suited for what I want which is daily driver with occasional light off roading, camping, and towing(trailer with dirtbike or hitch carrier). So if anyone could point me to any areas where I should pay closer attention to that would be much appreciated!
IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3681.jpeg

I'd crawl under the vehicle with a flashlight and look for rust and/or thick undercoating. If it still has fenders, that's a spot where you can see some decent rust build up. Also check behind bumpers and radiator. But really, just check all over the underside - you dont want thick gobs of undercoating, which indicates some serious rust issues or at least lazy resto.

I would also look into the Japanese version of the carfax _before_ you check it out and look at the score(s) and determine what location it came from. Up to you, but 3's you might avoid and I would also disregard vehicles from northern Japan as they get the most snow and salted roads that lead to corrosion.

This is just me speaking from experience - I currently own a 3 rated vehicle that was repaired at an auction lot to a 4 but riddled with issues fun jobs. I also have a nicely salted and flaky underside which is a little stressful great aesthetic add-on.

Oh and consider part/service availability in your area - KZJ78s are something a lot of mechanics even want to touch in my area. So I end up spending hours looking up parts, ordering them and doing the work myself - which is cool for me but it's certainly a lil more than anticipated since I too just wanted a cool lil daily driver.

I'd crawl under the vehicle with a flashlight and look for rust and/or thick undercoating. If it still has fenders, that's a spot where you can see some decent rust build up. Also check behind bumpers and radiator. But really, just check all over the underside - you dont want thick gobs of undercoating, which indicates some serious rust issues or at least lazy resto.

I would also look into the Japanese version of the carfax _before_ you check it out and look at the score(s) and determine what location it came from. Up to you, but 3's you might avoid and I would also disregard vehicles from northern Japan as they get the most snow and salted roads that lead to corrosion.

This is just me speaking from experience - I currently own a 3 rated vehicle that was repaired at an auction lot to a 4 but riddled with issues fun jobs. I also have a nicely salted and flaky underside which is a little stressful great aesthetic add-on.

Oh and consider part/service availability in your area - KZJ78s are something a lot of mechanics even want to touch in my area. So I end up spending hours looking up parts, ordering them and doing the work myself - which is cool for me but it's certainly a lil more than anticipated since I too just wanted a cool lil daily driver.
That’s some good info, thank you. I got the auction sheet and it was rated a 3. Also the body has been painted as well as the undercarriage. I think I’ll end up passing on this one.

I purchased and ran a KZJ78 in Wyoming for a couple years and really loved that vehicle. The 70 series guys call the KZJ78 "not a real land cruiser" and "light duty" which is technically correct but I don't know why it is done in such a condescending way tbh. This is still a body on frame 4x4 made by Toyota with solid axles front and rear and coil spring suspension which actually rides alot nicer than a leaf spring HZJ would. The weight capacity would be greater on the HZJ's for sure, which makes them a top choice for overlanding and gearing up heavily but if you aren't hauling rocks it will be more than sufficient for recreational use in the US on and off road. The vehicle is very comparable to a early to mid 90's 4runner in build, handling and size. The Turbo Diesel 1KZ engine is a peppy thing and makes it quite fun to drive compared to other LC's of that era. I sold mine recently because I had some other priorities at the time and being such a purpose built RHD vehicle, it was the first to go. I'd say some of the common issues to look for are body rust in the rocker right in front of the rear wheels on both sides. Leaking radiator (this is almost inevitable, but anticipate replacing it if it hasn't already been addressed) and the ECU is also known for failing at one point or another. I was able to rebuild my ECU, they are no longer available from Toyota so can be difficult to source a used one. Parts aren't too bad honestly, these were sold in decent quantity in Japan and tons of imports now that they are in the 25 yo window. Alot of cross compatibility with 90's 4runners and FJ Cruiser (brakes, etc.) My alternator also failed and I was easily able too get it rebuilt locally. There is alot of talk about these being prone to overheating, I think that has some truth but applies more to the older LJ models with the older 2.4 engine. You are still going to want to do some preventative measures and maintenance to ensure a cool running engine. Things like a lower temp thermostat, replace fan clutch, EGR delete, etc. Being somewhat confident doing your own mechanic work would be a plus, as someone mentioned, you won't exactly be able to drop this off at most mechanics for work to be done on it. I ran mine pretty hard on several occasions and never had an issue with overheating. Toyota used the 1KZ engine well into the 2000's with their later model Prados as well, its a great engine. I could zip around moderate mountain passes at 70-80 mph easy. When these are lifted with big tires they get a little squirely in handling without some additional suspension mods not included in most lift kits. I'd recommend keep it stock or spend the money to do it right if you do choose to lift it. Let us know if you end up with one, awesome vehicles!

1996 KZJ78.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased and ran a KZJ78 in Wyoming for a couple years and really loved that vehicle. The 70 series guys call the KZJ78 "not a real land cruiser" and "light duty" which is technically correct but I don't know why it is done in such a condescending way tbh. This is still a body on frame 4x4 made by Toyota with solid axles front and rear and coil spring suspension which actually rides alot nicer than a leaf spring HZJ would. The weight capacity would be greater on the HZJ's for sure, which makes them a top choice for overlanding and gearing up heavily but if you aren't hauling rocks it will be more than sufficient for recreational use in the US on and off road. The vehicle is very comparable to a early to mid 90's 4runner in build, handling and size. The Turbo Diesel 1KZ engine is a peppy thing and makes it quite fun to drive compared to other LC's of that era. I sold mine recently because I had some other priorities at the time and being such a purpose built RHD vehicle, it was the first to go. I'd say some of the common issues to look for are body rust in the rocker right in front of the rear wheels on both sides. Leaking radiator (this is almost inevitable, but anticipate replacing it if it hasn't already been addressed) and the ECU is also known for failing at one point or another. I was able to rebuild my ECU, they are no longer available from Toyota so can be difficult to source a used one. Parts aren't too bad honestly, these were sold in decent quantity in Japan and tons of imports now that they are in the 25 yo window. Alot of cross compatibility with 90's 4runners and FJ Cruiser (brakes, etc.) My alternator also failed and I was easily able too get it rebuilt locally. There is alot of talk about these being prone to overheating, I think that has some truth but applies more to the older LJ models with the older 2.4 engine. You are still going to want to do some preventative measures and maintenance to ensure a cool running engine. Things like a lower temp thermostat, replace fan clutch, EGR delete, etc. Being somewhat confident doing your own mechanic work would be a plus, as someone mentioned, you won't exactly be able to drop this off at most mechanics for work to be done on it. I ran mine pretty hard on several occasions and never had an issue with overheating. Toyota used the 1KZ engine well into the 2000's with their later model Prados as well, its a great engine. I could zip around moderate mountain passes at 70-80 mph easy. When these are lifted with big tires they get a little squirely in handling without some additional suspension mods not included in most lift kits. I'd recommend keep it stock or spend the money to do it right if you do choose to lift it. Let us know if you end up with one, awesome vehicles!

View attachment 3493635
Side note, where did you get that snorkel from? I'm looking for one like that for my truck.

Side note, where did you get that snorkel from? I'm looking for one like that for my truck.

Hello,

It is from the 2007-2022 model year 70 Series.

Juan

I believe cruiserparts.net is selling new "take off" raised air intakes for a pretty good deal. That's where I got mine (do note, this isn't a "snorkel" for watertight water crossings, it is a raised air intake) You may need some additional parts which you can source on megazip or similar sites. Not too bad of a project. Connecting to the factory air box may need some custom fiberglass work or something it isn't plug and play there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom