Long range fuel tanks FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hey newbie, do a search. :)

If I ever end up doing it, opposite lock is the direction I'm leaning. Still pondering the weight after seeing an HJ61 loaded down with 62 gallons of fuel (ouch). 3 OME heavy overload leafs to accomodate the extra fuel and the rear cargo storage weight.

Ive got the Opposite Lock 50 gallon jobber and the heaviest duty OME suspension set up spring over. I havent filled the tank up yet, but I hope she wont sag to much. You dont have to fill the tank everytime either. Hey Esh, what was your opinion of the 61 you saw? Did she sit level or was she saggin?

Here's a pic of the rear end MID restoration. The tank doesnt hang down to badly really.

picture.JPG

Thanks eshelbyk, did a search but did not come up with anything for long range tanks on the FJ 62s. A good thread about 60s though.

so if anyone has done it on their 62 i would like to hear about the pros and cons.

Hey bubba, they're the SAME dang truck!

So the 3FE does not require anything different as far as the tank goes? The oem and long range tanks are exactly the same on the 60 and 62? Cause i have seen different long range tanks for both models by the same manufacturer, leading me to believe they are designed differently for each model.
Just trying to get all the info i can.

I havent seen that. As far as I knew the tank was the same. I suppose you'll find out otherwise if it is in fact so.

FJ 62 and FJ 60 tahks are different. The FJ 62 has an intank pump among other things.

dd113 said:
FJ 62 and FJ 60 tahks are different. The FJ 62 has an intank pump among other things.

Because it's fuel injected?

Must be. Well then bummer for you. I doubt you're going to find much for a vehicle that wasnt around all that long. Good luck.

Sethos1, I believe at least a couple of the Australian long-range tank manufacturers build larger tanks for the FJ62 with the in-tank pump. I want to say it's Long Ranger Automotive, but I'm not 100% sure. Manafre sells an FJ62-specific tank.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens, really want to get one for those long trips to Baja. I think it would be better than carring 3 5 gal cans.

Try Aussie dealers (TJM, Opp Lock, ARB etc).
They're pretty common over here.
Got the stock tank on mine, with an auxillary that runs pretty well the length of the tailshaft. This spreads the load a bit, rather than having it over the rear springs.
Also, don't know what year they changed to EFI, but my '85 FJ62 is carby'd (no smog), 5sp manual and no pump in tank (same as 60 series). Standard release here.

ed

Last edited:
One additional note on this topic. Luke's setup has the aux tank feeding into the stock tank. Seems like that would make the setup simpler as you only have to setup a system for one to go into the other, not have it also feed the fuel delivery system. It's a German-outfitted truck, so I've no idea what brand/setup he's got. I do know he's got a 62 gallon capacity and 1600 mile range (5spd/12H-T).

Cool, I'll call Luke and see what he has to say. Seems like an aux tank would be ideal, so as not to put all the weight in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom