(Long) Intro and a couple questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I have always wanted a 40 since high school when I used to take my SR5 to Azusa Canyon in the mid 80s. The 40 guys were the most fun to watch. I remember being amazed at what they could pull off.

I am currently researching everything I can find before I purchase. I am pretty handy, but do not know how to weld. (Yet) I want a rig I can fix up, but total frame up restore is probably out of my skill set. I am looking for something in decent shape that can do highway speed and light to moderate off road. I have twin 7 year old boys that love grandma's heep, so the rear seating is very important. If I need to move the driver's seat backwards, I need to make sure the boyz have enough room.

I have been reading a lot over the past few days and I have a couple of questions:

1. I am 6'7" and have read that I will get more leg room on a 78+ 40 due to fuel tank relocation. Is this a must or are there any other tall guys here w/ pre 78 and usable rear seating?

2. I would love to have 2 bucket seats in the back w/ 5 point. Does anyone have pictures of this type of setup? At 7 the boys are already tall and a headrest would be the minimum I would install. I can't take them in my Ram QC off road because their heads hit the rear window w/o headrest.

3. I have been mainly looking on ebay for purchase and have seen some pretty nice stuff. Can you recommend other sources for finding 40's to purchase?

4. Lastly, has the smog requirement changed every year? In other words, if this year is pre 75, will pre 76 be smog exempt next year? Yes I am in California.

I am really enjoying the forum and look forward to learning a lot from you all! Thanks for any info!

On second thought, maybe I should sell my house and buy an icon. (JK)

Well, i'm not gonna be much help with most of these questions but the 79+ is a good start and if your looking for something a little more reliable for looking at cruisers try the vehicles for sale section here on Mud or try your local Craigslist. Good luck and i'm sure someone with a stock rig will chime in soon.

Kevin

Welcome.

1979 was the first year of the tank being 22 gallons and mounted under the body, among other things......(frame changed, body mounts(style/location) changed, PS and AC were options, etc...

As far as fitting into a 40 series, PM buckroseau out here....or just go read his threads in the 45 section...he is at least 6'6" and runs a 1979 as a daily driver....Fitting into a 09/72-1984 is pretty much going to be the same, as the seat distance relationship to the firewall really did not change...

:beer:

I'm not quite as tall as you (6' 4"), but I fit in my 68 no problem. It has buckets mounted to the stock bench frame, set back about 1-2 inches from stock location. I currently use a rear heep bench in the back, and there's plenty of room.

79+ will have the most room without modifications, but I wouldn't rule out an earlier model.

Hi All:

I have a couple buddies that are taller than 6'5" and to get a little more leg room in their FJ40s (both pre-1979 models) they modified the seat brackets to allow the driver's seat to slid back a bit more than stock.

For the rear seat you should consider one out of a mini-van; these usually have built-in seat belts and removal headrests. And, I know that the rear bench seats from Dodge Caravans have been mounted in the rear cargo area of FJ40s.

Regards,

Alan

To answer your smog question...ONLY 75 and older are exempt..was a 30 year exemption, but that was cancelled by the state congress. Write your congress person to complain. If considering ANY 76 or newer...make sure ALL smog equipment is present and working...otherwise you are in for the ultimate PITA. The newer the truck the more complex it gets and 79 and newer were produced in lower numbers so used parts are a bit more scarce.

Your best bet is just to hop in a few and see how they feel to you. You might look for an FJ45 wagon (hard to find and expect to pay for it) or an FJ60-Fj62 which are wagons , newer , disk brakes, Power steering, available fuel injected, and when you are ready they can be sprung over or lifted with a kit the same as a 40.

Hey guys,

I am sitting in the aipport in las vegas on my way to meet Jason from WOR in West Haven (Ogden) to pick up my cruiser. I will have a lot to add when I get back home with it. I am hoping to drive from SLC to LV this afternoon and stay in LV with my bro over night. Then down to socal early morning on the fourth.

The rig will be familiar to some of you here. Franky40 and others have driven/owned/rolled it before. I have a few pictures in my gallery but will add a lot after I get home.

Thanksto allthe forum members who helped make this an informed decision!

Laters!

Rusty
AKA Bigassbike
:flipoff2:

I had a 1977 Cruiser a couple of years ago in TX. It was exempt at that time due to it being older than 25 years (so the inspection guy told me when I got it inspected), so I yanked all the original carb and vacuum hoses off it to replace the carb. I thought if it was over 25 years old it was considered an antique and exempt from smog rules...? Also, it was shipped here from Malaysia and passed through the port in Houston, was checked out there and the inspector wrote exempt on the emissions section. You may want to look into this further.

You picked a hot couple of days to drive your cruiser through Utah and Nevada. It should be above 100 by the time you get to southern utah.

I'll keep my eyes open for you on the freeway. Congratulations on the new cruiser.

Wow, seems we have a few talk folks on the list. I have been casually looking into ways to extend the leg room in my '70 40. I am 6'10", anyone taller? :)

Have fun with the new rig and I hope you fit well enough!

Hey guys,

Jason and the guys at Worldwide were great! It was a lot of fun meeting all of them.

We made it to vegas about midnight. Temp wasn't too bad. We are gonna get outa here this am pretty quick and beat the heat. 7:28 am and it is about 90. Glad we have AC. Oh yeah, we don't. Ice box and lots of fluids will be the ticket. Should be about 4 hours or so back home. Can't wait to take the top off!

More later.

Happy 4th everybody - be safe!

Rusty
AKA
Bigassbike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom