Locking hubs Oct ‘71 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
My Oct 71 FJ40 is being restored. It has two mix matched locking hubs on the front wheels. One is a warn and other says ‘Selecto’ , I think.
I want to replace them but not sure what to go for. I want good quality and to look the part. Any recommendations? Thanks. Ps not sure Aisin did hubs for a 71. Cheers.

Hi,
My Oct 71 FJ40 is being restored. It has two mix matched locking hubs on the front wheels. One is a warn and other says ‘Selecto’ , I think.
I want to replace them but not sure what to go for. I want good quality and to look the part. Any recommendations? Thanks. Ps not sure Aisin did hubs for a 71. Cheers.
Jun85;
I have an Oct '73 Build Date (1974 year model) FJ40. When I bought it (new), I had WARN Hubs fitted.. A "couple of years later" (46/47), I contacted WARN about getting a "rebuild kit" (gaskets, O-Rings, etc.) for my hubs, AND I asked "where" do I find the "Model Number" on the hubs!! I talked to some half-assed supervisor who all but cussed me out because (get ready for this...) HE (the company) did NOT have any information that went back that far!!!
I hope you have better luck than I did... Needless to say, I do NOT recommend you calling "WARN"!!!
Charles.

I want good quality and to look the part.

This sounds weird, but if both hubs work, why not leave it? Mismatched hubs are 'hub patina'. You will look the part with two mismatched, but period-correct hubs. You have coarse-spline hubs, and I suspect that all you can do is find a used/old matching set on Mud. I doubt you will find new ones.

I want good quality and to look the part.

This sounds weird, but if both hubs work, why not leave it? Mismatched hubs are 'hub patina'. You will look the part with two mismatched, but period-correct hubs. You have coarse-spline hubs, and I suspect that all you can do is find a used/old matching set on Mud. I doubt you will find new ones.
Thanks. I’m doing a full nut n bolt restoration so they need to look new. Thanks for the info

Saw those but wasn’t ready for the price 😧

Well, seems like prices have gone up. Perhaps another MUD member has some but even Specter Off Road has used ones for over 500.00 a pair. The ebay seller has them restored so I am sure that is why they are higher.

Well, seems like prices have gone up. Perhaps another MUD member has some but even Specter Off Road has used ones for over 500.00 a pair. The ebay seller has them restored so I am sure that is why they are higher.

Thanks - no idea they were so expensive. Maybe those EBay ones will do then.

I've got some 70's drum brake frt ends from FJ40's and the Warn hubs on them dont look anything like the ones in that ebay auction. The price seems a little extreme too. You just need to watch the classified section and maybe post a wanted ad. You'll probably have to restore them.

Last edited:
I bought these for my 73 fj55 before deciding to convert to discs. Could complete the restore, or use as is.

8AD79AC2-40F5-44BA-A1FC-CB246614F045.jpeg

I believe the six spline were discontinued by Warn. There is a pair on E bay that would probably be good for a restoration.

I've got some 70's drum brake frt ends from FJ40's and the Warn hubs on them dont look anything like the ones in that ebay auction. The price seems a little extreme too. You just need to watch the classified section and maybe post a wanted ad. You'll probably have to restore them.

Guess if your doing a complete better than new restore that will only be driven on payment and spend most it time in garage or plan on selling once your done these hubs are fine. What everything perfect just pay the price. If you actually plan to use it off road don't about perfect and buy a good set of used hubs but not this style. These are very tough hubs but if you are in a pitch and need to get them locked better hope the splines are lined up. These are not spring loaded. Knobs with not turn if they are lined up. Certainly not bad hubs but better coarse spline options out there in the used market.

I needed new hubs for my LJ77 and went with AVM.

Cool Cruisers list them but they are out of stock.

Here is the model:

LandcruiserFJ401963-12/19756690AVM4044404

here you go...

I needed new hubs for my LJ77 and went with AVM.

Cool Cruisers list them but they are out of stock.

Here is the model:

LandcruiserFJ401963-12/19756690AVM4044404
Those are available "HERE"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom