Lockers? The Death Valley Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you Cruiserdrew. I am not so much worried about the technical aspects as about having enough fuel for the run. I do not have an external jerry can carrier and I though that putting them inside of the truck was a really bad idea....

Thank you every one else for your comments... I already air down automatically when I pull on to the dirt tracks. Helps keep my teeth in my head when driving on washboard as well.

Thoughts?

I have to add
any time the weight of the truck is on the single birfield downhill. Don't crank the wheel all the way over, and don't back up with the wheel cranked over. This will coverstress the birfield bell and it'll explode.
This is absolutely true for the factory birfs, however I have done exactly what you describe on several occasions with my long fields and never broken one.

I always admire the guys who drive with finesse, no throttle and slow consistant progress, they don't often get stuck and don't often have to fix their trucks in the field either. My 2 cents
Deep gears and lockers really help accomplish this style of driving.

Does anyone have the Eaton E-locker? Summit doesn't list any Toyota parts that I see. $750 each seems like they are as expensive as ARB, just don't need the compressor or the space to put it.
FWIW, I have the Powertrax no-slip, basically an auto-locker with a synchro in it, and it is a good compromise between the on-road auto-locker driving issues and the $$$ for ARB. I've never heard/felt it chirp around corners. Not bad for just an extra $200 more than a detroit, my $0.02.

I have one, but my rear axle is GM. I love it. Flawless operation. I had to pull it out after two years of use for an unrelated reason. It looked like it had never been used.

Don't mean to hi-jack either, but I have neither the time or skill to do a rear ARB locker install. What kind of shop should I be looking for to do a job of this kind? I don't live near a high populated area, I am a few miles from Sheridan, Wyoming.

You could buy a center section with it already installed or do some sort of swap. Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

Thank you Cruiserdrew. I am not so much worried about the technical aspects as about having enough fuel for the run. I do not have an external jerry can carrier and I though that putting them inside of the truck was a really bad idea....

Thank you every one else for your comments... I already air down automatically when I pull on to the dirt tracks. Helps keep my teeth in my head when driving on washboard as well.

Thoughts?

Roof rack:
DSCN1788.jpg

I have regular old Thule bars and a second hand rack I adapted to mount on them. I use the bars all the time for hauling everything from lumber to furniture so I consider them a good investment in any event.

For a rear auto-locker, also look at the Detroit locker. Nicer than an Aussie locker on the street, stronger offroad. Cheaper than an ARB.

That's the route I'm going for the rear. I was also told Aussie lockers weren't designed for anything larger that a 33 inch tire. Haven't decide if I'm doing the front and with what. I know arb is the best, but I hate having more parts than needed to accomplish something. Knowing my luck the compressor won't work or the air line would be cut.

That's the route I'm going for the rear. I was also told Aussie lockers weren't designed for anything larger that a 33 inch tire. Haven't decide if I'm doing the front and with what. I know arb is the best, but I hate having more parts than needed to accomplish something. Knowing my luck the compressor won't work or the air line would be cut.

I recommend the powertrax. A little more $$ gets you better on-road performance. I run 33's and it gets me everywhere I want to go, and some that the :princess: is scared to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom