Locked and Loaded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all I just want to say right off, I think this group is awesome. The information I got from lurking about and searching through past articles has saved me BIG BUCKS! And for that I’m grateful. So now for a little story, and I hope I don’t bore you guys :rolleyes: I bought my ’96 TLC80 in July after my wife and I decided to invest in a vehicle to get us out of trouble in case a hurricane forced us out of town again as Lili had last year. That was an eye opener! a category 4 headed right for us and if it wasn’t for a good friend that offered us the use of his van I don’t know what we would have done with our animals and boxes full of stuff we needed to save. Thank God the storm dropped to a cat.3 just before it hit causing it to change track and reduce the amount of damage it caused. Anyway, like I said, we were in the market. I saw the LC on my way home from work one night standing in the parking lot of a Honda motorcycle dealer with a for sale sign in the window. I stopped and visually checked it out. I had no clue what I was looking at then, but was turned off by the high mileage (120k), the beat paint and the dirty interior. The only thing that caught my eye was the undercarriage. I remember thinking to myself, “ damn thing looks real solid” Even though, I still passed it up. Three weeks goes by and I’m totally depressed after test-driving Nissan, Chevy and Ford SUVs. The biggest disappointment was the Ford Explorer. This piece of s*#t did a tail dance every time I hit a bump in the road! My price limit was 20k, but so far nothing I drove made me want to part with any of it. And each night I passed that Cruiser… so one night I said, “what the hell” and drove it. Holy Crap!! This thing drove like a dream compared to what I’d driven before. This was it! Now I had to have it. I haggled with the dealer who was selling it for his friend, the starting price was 13.9k, but with the market and the condition of the truck(purely cosmetic) we ended at 11.5k, I think I did okay. So then I find this group, and I realize unlike the previous owner that this is not your average SUV, and this makes me very happy with my new Toy. Well that’s my TLC story, sorry if I made ya yawn :) but here’s something that might interest those with locker problems. My front and rear lockers would just flash when I turned them on. And my center locker would not work either when in 4low. The information I got from reading this group told me that my center locker had to work before the front and rear can operate. Getting underneath I find that if I jumper the plug to the center diff switch I hear the motor turn on and off, but still no center diff light on the dash, bummer L So I find this article on Sleeoffroad.com in the tech zone written by a guy named Kumar that talks about how to fix a bad transfer indicator switch located on the FRONT output side of the transfer case approximately at 11 o'clock when facing towards the rear of rig from the front. So I jumper that puppy also and, what-da-ya-know, I got a fully locked TLC80 J Okay so now all I have to do is get two transfer switches from the dealer right? Would you believe $160!! They must be really proud of em. So what have I got to loose other than 160 bucks! I decide to pull one of them out of the transfer case and see what I can do with it. It comes out easy enough and looks surprisingly clean and in good shape but an ohm check confirms it’s bad. So I start exercising the switch about 50 times and my meter starts beeping :eek: works great!! I’ll bet the lockers were never used. Since I had everything opened up under the dash I went ahead and did Cdan’s wire mod, then ordered the center switch from Christo Slee ( great guy’s, very helpful ). So thanks to Christo, Cruiserdan, Beowulf and many others for all the great posts. Oh, and thanks Junk! You just crack me up :cheers:

Wow, what a wonderful introduction! Congrats on your purchase, I don't think you will ever regret it.

Now :flipoff2: Go fix your avator!

:beer:

Lothar,

Welcome to non-lurking status! I enjoyed your story and encourage you to share maintenance experiences and stories ( lies? ) with others.

It sounds like you got a great truck for a very good price. Now, just take that "extra" $8,500 and send some to C-Dan for a new S/C, send some to Christo for the best armour money can buy, add on some new tyres, and you're ready for that next hurricane and anything else that might come your way.

And don't say "Junk" and "crack" in the same sentence. You'll get some obscene remark about your beloved mother that will make you sick.

:D

-B-

Welcome. Great story.
Sean

A little formatting goes a long way :flipoff2:.

I second the welcome as well. Your correct about all the great advice.

I feel sorry for all the non-TLC owners out there that don't have such a great resource as the people on this site.

I'll also second the "Formatting comment" as well. I'm in my mid 40s and the eyes aren't as good as they once were. A little "black space" is helpful.

R

Great story - has all the elements and well tied together. You and your new buddy will share some adventures over the years. Heck, ours has outlasted a parade of new cars in the stall next to it and has now risen to "member of the family" status. It's a sickness.

Doug

Too bad ya didn't find a deal on a 3FE ::)

Welcome,

finally a long story not this three liners all the time.

Good luck with your rig and use it offroad. It's a must for "locked".

Have fun !!!

Mike

Enjoyed your into paragraph as well. ;)

Sounds like you got a nice "low mile" Cruiser. Hell, at 120k it's barely broken in. Have you checked to see if the Birfs have been done yet. That'd be nice to add to the list the Beowolf had for ya. S/C for sure! You could stay ahead of a hurricane with that.

wc.gif

WeLcOmE (how's that for all you old farts beaching about format :flipoff2:)

welcome to the group :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

You're off to a great start by talking to guys like Christo and Cbiskit. Stay away from BBB (Big Bad B) as he's trouble. :flipoff2: :D

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=2;threadid=7088;start=msg58605#msg58605 date=1067902035]
Wow, what a wonderful introduction! Congrats on your purchase, I don't think you will ever regret it.

Now :flipoff2: Go fix your avator!

:beer:
[/quote]

Thanks, I thought I picked one . This is my first forum, it's all new to me :) but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

[quote author=Shortbus link=board=2;threadid=7088;start=msg58915#msg58915 date=1067978404]
Enjoyed your into paragraph as well. ;)

Sounds like you got a nice "low mile" Cruiser. Hell, at 120k it's barely broken in. Have you checked to see if the Birfs have been done yet. That'd be nice to add to the list the Beowolf had for ya. S/C for sure! You could stay ahead of a hurricane with that.
[/quote]

One of the reasons I bought this truck was because the previous owner did have all the service records. The records showed routine service at the proper mileage but never anything serious. Last thing they did was change all the fluids at 96k but no mention of the Birfs. They look fine though, no leaks or noise. Oh and by the way Shortbus, that avatar of yours is strangely hypnotic I have a HARD time staying focused ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom