lock rite from a 40 to a 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, been enjoying the forum for awhile now and am finally chiming in with a question.
I have 77 FJ40 and a 88 FJ62. I am planning on taking the 40 off the road to do a restro on it and want to make my 62 a little off roadable. I have a lock rite in the 40 with 3:73 gears, I am wondering if I can put the lock rite into my FJ62 which has 4:10 gears? Also how much lift can i put on the 62 with out having to add shims to turn the diff?
Thanks,

Yep, same Lockright Part#1630. Gear ratio doesnt matter with the locker...

I would assume any spring lift needs shims in the front to correct the front diff.

you sure you have 3:70's in the 40?
4:10's were stock that year
Oh, and in theory a spring manufacturer will design the spring to require no shims. Messing with shackle length usually dictates whether or not you need shims. every 3/4" you add to a shackle changes the pinion one degree on a 44" spring ( FJ60 front, as an example )

Thanks guys. I justed wanted to make sure so I didn't take the locker out for nothing. Not sure why but it has 3:70.

I've only pulled a Lockright once, but I found it more difficult to pull it than install it. Removing the springs without mangling or loosing them was the tricky part. You may want to have a spare set of springs on hand before yanking the Lockright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom