lock rite from a 40 to a 62?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mud Shark Rosey, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Mud Shark Rosey

Mud Shark Rosey

Hi all, been enjoying the forum for awhile now and am finally chiming in with a question.
    I have 77 FJ40 and a 88 FJ62. I am planning on taking the 40 off the road to do a restro on it and want to make my 62 a little off roadable. I have a lock rite in the 40 with 3:73 gears, I am wondering if I can put the lock rite into my FJ62 which has 4:10 gears? Also how much lift can i put on the 62 with out having to add shims to turn the diff?
    Thanks,

2. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Yep, same Lockright Part#1630. Gear ratio doesnt matter with the locker...

I would assume any spring lift needs shims in the front to correct the front diff.

3. lcwizard

lcwizard Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    you sure you have 3:70's in the 40?
    4:10's were stock that year
    Oh, and in theory a spring manufacturer will design the spring to require no shims. Messing with shackle length usually dictates whether or not you need shims. every 3/4" you add to a shackle changes the pinion one degree on a 44" spring ( FJ60 front, as an example )

4. Mud Shark Rosey

Mud Shark Rosey

Thanks guys. I justed wanted to make sure so I didn't take the locker out for nothing. Not sure why but it has 3:70.

5. Godwin

Godwin Resident Herpetologist SILVER Star

I've only pulled a Lockright once, but I found it more difficult to pull it than install it. Removing the springs without mangling or loosing them was the tricky part. You may want to have a spare set of springs on hand before yanking the Lockright.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.