local 80 needing help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We’re able to get universal hose in trans is in and bolted up minus one top bolt that was being stubborn and called it a night just before 11. Just little stuff install rear drive shaft, starter, trans reference cable and adjust (do you like firm shifts or soft), misc brackets and hold downs that can be fun and time consuming around the bell housings.

Toyota engineers are great for a lot on the vehicle. The wiring routing and tube placement around the bell isn’t not there strong suit.

We bought new transmission cooler hose (bulk) and installed it. Works just fine.

The transmission is physically in.
We are fighting one bell housing bolt with the wiring harness in the way.

Then we have to install the starter, kickdown cable, fan shroud, and a few other things.

We THOUGHT we could have had it tonight, but didn't make it.

Tonight was @cjmoon from 7:30 to 10;30
@FZJ80 in KC from 7:30 to 10:30
And I from 8:00 pm to 10:30.

@cjmoon and I will get after it again tomorrow. Once done, we'll drive it a fair amount to check things out.

9E5B9759-4B6E-4223-B7AE-DE388211A7B8.jpeg
D32E80B5-D488-4F5C-A464-25C88E5F5B99.jpeg

I'm going to go get it and drive it around a bit to make sure things feel good.

This won't happen until after about 5:30.

Ok the truck is ready to roll!!!

I will check F/R differential fluids in the morning.

Transmission is in and fluid level is perfect!
We went through the list and git it all done.

The truck has 173625 miles in it and the replacement transmission has about 180K on it.
I have driven the truck around town in traffic and on the interstate to make sure all shifting is cirreco, the kickdown is correct, and the torque converter locks up and the OD engaged and disengages appropriately.

I checked and adjusted tire pressures as well.

Rear DS was greased.
Front DS and broken bell housing are in a tub in the back along with the hardware and the O2 sensor wire plug that was replaced.

Well, the truck tried to give me some problems today, just before it was time to leave.

The alarm system killed the battery while sitting for two days. That Texas truck must not like the cold Kansas weather of ice and snow!

I discovered it also had a loose battery clamp, so I removed, cleaned, and adjusted both battery clamps to make sure they had good contact. Then went to O'Reilly's and tested the battery. It said it was good, just needed charged. Also tested the alternator and it read as OK also.

I added almost (1) quart to EACH front and rear differentials and the front seemed a bit foamy, in spite of it sitting for two days. The oil was clear (no Birf soup), so as long as the correct grease was placed in the Birfs, then all should be OK there.

The truck still makes a couple noises that it made Pre-Failure, so we didn;t fix ALL the problems, just the big one in the middle.

They turned in the rental car and are OFFICIALLY underway.

We wish them the best from the Tornado Alley Cruisers! Lots of folks put in their time, efforts, and parts to make this happen.

In order of time committed:
@BILT4ME
@cjmoon
@Robkc
@FZJ80 in KC
@OverlandDad
@2fpower

Parts suppliers were:
@2fpower
Olathe Toyota
O'Reilly Auto Parts, Store #826
@cjmoon

Brett's truck (left) and mine (right) yesterday after the snow......
IMG_20180401_190027132_HDR (Small).jpg

The folks that were the center of this whole show:
I'm on the left, then Mike and Tammy, the Missionaries that are driving the truck around the country.
(what you CAN'T see in this picture is that they are both vertically challenged and had to buy a step stool to get in and a cane to reach down and pick it up to carry it in the truck with them! They are both about 5'-4", trying to climb into an 80 with a 4" lift and 35" tires........)

IMG_20180402_144312500 (Small).jpg

I wanted to get a group picture with everyone that worked on the truck, but the time had already been used up. Everyone was tied up for holiday events, or had worked on it so much, that regular life had to intervene again. We'll settle for the self-placed pics of those that take the time to add pics of THEIR rigs to this thread.

We wish you safe travels! God Bless you! and we hope this carry's on His work and that all of us involved with TAC helped.

Brett, we hope you are able to enjoy your 80 for MANY more years! Bless you for allowing these folks to use you truck for as long as they have (and continue to do so), as they will be putting LOTS of miles on it.

Once again, this is why we are all a "Family" of Land Cruiser, Toyota, and Lexus owners, and above all.....'Mud Members!

Well, the truck tried to give me some problems today, just before it was time to leave.

The alarm system killed the battery while sitting for two days. That Texas truck must not like the cold Kansas weather of ice and snow!

I discovered it also had a loose battery clamp, so I removed, cleaned, and adjusted both battery clamps to make sure they had good contact. Then went to O'Reilly's and tested the battery. It said it was good, just needed charged. Also tested the alternator and it read as OK also.

I added almost (1) quart to EACH front and rear differentials and the front seemed a bit foamy, in spite of it sitting for two days. The oil was clear (no Birf soup), so as long as the correct grease was placed in the Birfs, then all should be OK there.

The truck still makes a couple noises that it made Pre-Failure, so we didn;t fix ALL the problems, just the big one in the middle.

They turned in the rental car and are OFFICIALLY underway.

We wish them the best from the Tornado Alley Cruisers! Lots of folks put in their time, efforts, and parts to make this happen.

In order of time committed:
@BILT4ME
@cjmoon
@Robkc
@FZJ80 in KC
@OverlandDad
@2fpower

Parts suppliers were:
@2fpower
Olathe Toyota
O'Reilly Auto Parts, Store #826
@cjmoon

Brett's truck (left) and mine (right) yesterday after the snow......
View attachment 1668720

The folks that were the center of this whole show:
I'm on the left, then Mike and Tammy, the Missionaries that are driving the truck around the country.
(what you CAN'T see in this picture is that they are both vertically challenged and had to buy a step stool to get in and a cane to reach down and pick it up to carry it in the truck with them! They are both about 5'-4", trying to climb into an 80 with a 4" lift and 35" tires........)

View attachment 1668721

I wanted to get a group picture with everyone that worked on the truck, but the time had already been used up. Everyone was tied up for holiday events, or had worked on it so much, that regular life had to intervene again. We'll settle for the self-placed pics of those that take the time to add pics of THEIR rigs to this thread.

We wish you safe travels! God Bless you! and we hope this carry's on His work and that all of us involved with TAC helped.

Brett, we hope you are able to enjoy your 80 for MANY more years! Bless you for allowing these folks to use you truck for as long as they have (and continue to do so), as they will be putting LOTS of miles on it.

Once again, this is why we are all a "Family" of Land Cruiser, Toyota, and Lexus owners, and above all.....'Mud Members!

Dude can I Paypal you money for a beer or three? I'm game, you deserve it. You can give one to @2fpower as well. You guys are fantastic.

Mark, Thank you for coordinating it was my pleasure helping. Great getting to know some of the local club members better while knocking out some repairs for the travelers.

Pic of my rig:

NEVJ3747.JPG

Annual meeting is coming up in a few weeks and last I heard the bar is not fully stocked....

I was glad to be a small part of this! It's always cool to see the cruiser community rise up, and we have a very special family here in KC.

Here' my old girl:

20180308_182709.jpg

Awesome to see all the help that the club gave! I too have experienced that type of help after a break down and it was awesome!

So great to see so many local willing helping hands. i don't check the local section much but i'll try and get into the habit more often. I'm a newbie and i'd be willing to help in exchange for learning from other more experienced fzj80 owners.

So great to see so many local willing helping hands. i don't check the local section much but i'll try and get into the habit more often. I'm a newbie and i'd be willing to help in exchange for learning from other more experienced fzj80 owners.

This is literally why I always offer to help. I'm an extra set of hands and there is always something new to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom