local 80 needing help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
@BILT4ME found a thread over on the chat forum and pinged me.

Need A343 in Kansas City, MO, and a mechanic

Thanks @2fpower !

I need a couple sets of hands late Saturday or sometime Sunday to do the following to help diagnose and repair the fellow 'Mud's truck so we can get the folks using the truck back on the road. They have rented a car for the time being, but we need some help to get it back going.

Please PM me if you can help. The truck is currently at the Rodeway Inn just south of Olathe Toyota. If needed, we can drag it to my house, but my driveway is already full of cars and it's not flat, but I've done a lot there and will do so here if necessary.

I'm just helping out another member in need, as I would hope someone would do for me and my family Let me know if you can help! Many hands make light work!

The necessary repairs will be posted in this thread. This is for @bpassmore that's in Houston. He loaned his truck to a couple missionaries that are traveling and needed help. The issue happened on the interstate and they are fortunate to be safe, but the truck has a lot of drivetrain damage.

@2fpower has some parts he will be supplying as necessary. I will coordinate the repairs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
First step is to determine the extent of the damage.

Drain the trans oil
Pull the trans pan and clean and straighten.
Clean up the bottom flange of the trans
Refill with oil and test trans, T-Case, front diff.

Probably going to try to support the bell housing and engine connection with ratchet straps to allow it to drive on its own power a bit.

I'm open for suggestions!

I should be able to help. Have trans lines also. get a front trans seal also as it’s been compromised. hopefully the trans can be reused but it might leak like a sive to test. Then just a bell housing. I’d guess broken shaft set that off the bell housing is not meant to take impact. I’m hopefully finishing up working on a buddies land cruiser today and my garage is open.

I’d say replace lines. Support trans with straps and try and verify it’s working. Front Seal is Likely going to leak still pan will leak but it’s not pressurized like the front seal. That can take a back seat in testing.

I should be able to help. Have trans lines also. get a front trans seal also as it’s been compromised. hopefully the trans can be reused but it might leak like a sive to test. Then just a bell housing. I’d guess broken shaft set that off the bell housing is not meant to take impact. I’m hopefully finishing up working on a buddies land cruiser today and my garage is open.

I’d say replace lines. Support trans with straps and try and verify it’s working. Front Seal is Likely going to leak still pan will leak but it’s not pressurized like the front seal. That can take a back seat in testing.

Please PM your info to me.

I was thinking the same on the seal when we get it out.

For the pan, there is a visible hole between the pan and the bottom of the trans. That has to be addressed before we can even test because the oil will run right back out. Otherwise, it will only hold the volume of the pan.

I think we need to inspect the flex plate as well. Could have tweaked it with this much sudden misalignment.

Guys, thank you. Thank you. Your are quite literally doing the Lord's work...

Let me know what if anything I can do from here. I can fund a PayPal account for needed items.

You guys have my number. Text me with what you need. I don't have a spare pan, but do have flex plates, etc.

upload_2018-3-23_10-36-36.png

upload_2018-3-23_10-41-54.png

This is the trans oil I will get (I need to verify qty) and the front input shaft seal for after we drop it and verify that it works.

Perhaps I can have Joey overnight a front DC shaft to you. (wits end )

If that's what you want, we'll install it.

It can be delivered to my house.

Otherwise, it can be driven without a front shaft, keeping the CDL engaged.

He doesn't have one in Stock. So, cdl might be good. But no abs. How is weather there?
Weather is supposed to spit rain off and on, but not bad. Right now it's overcast, but we've got a couple days before we get to that point of driveability.

We can weld up the pan. I don’t see that in the pic.

My shop is close to the vehicle near the 119th Street exit at I-35. I'veIgot plenty of room and a lift. Access to a welder if necessary. I don't have the knowledge you guys do so there may be some specialty tools necessary for this work I don't have. If you want to use my place let me know. We can work inside, spread out and stay there as long as necessary.

My shop is close to the vehicle near the 119th Street exit at I-35. I'veIgot plenty of room and a lift. Access to a welder if necessary. I don't have the knowledge you guys do so there may be some specialty tools necessary for this work I don't have. If you want to use my place let me know. We can work inside, spread out and stay there as long as necessary.

That's great @ccasteel !

I will let @cjmoon advise if he wants it at his house or yours. I will cart tools to wherever to do what's needed. I'll have most of my stuff with me later tonight anyway.

I have a phone number from the list and will use that. You can use mine from there as well.

Don't know for sure yet if we will move it tonight or tomorrow.

I should have most tools required. Just in case there is something special for an 80. Never had one. I've had mostly 40s and now a 100.

You should be good. Metric stuff........ Maybe a bigger hammer......

Torque wrenches mostly. I have those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom