Local 100 Build Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

77mustard40

SILVER Star
Threads
Gents, I’m posting this local since a number of you have nice 100’s and I’m up for suggestions and advice.

I brought my 99 back from Idaho for the winter since I ran my DD 4Runner north to hand off to my daughter. I’ve got 186 on the clock and was planning to do the timing belt, gear oils, ATF etc this winter. I’m on the fence as to whether this truck goes back north or whether my 97 80 takes a tour. What ever stays in Austin will be my DD for a while.

The 100 is mostly stock but for KO2’s in 285/75/16 and a couple turns of the TB’s. In the garage I have OME 860x springs and Tough Dog shocks, both lightly used and locally acquired. I don’t see this rig seeing serious off-road use but want it to be capable. I will be adding a front bumper for animal strike protection, leaning towards ARB or Slee Blueberry so there will be some new weight added. On the fence as far as sliders since I don’t see me wheeling it like an 80 or 40.

Questions:
1. Front TB’s - new aftermarket or re-index what I have since the rear will go up a couple inches?
2. Going to need diff drop unless someone says otherwise
3. UCA’s - not sure if I will need them after she comes up. I’m all ears.

What else am I missing?

I would install the rear coils, shocks, crank the TB’s and see how she looks and handles with the front bumper.

A.J

Get the front torsion bars and the DDK. Might as well do it right the first time. TBs aren't that difficult to do.

The 100 drives so much nicer than the 80, but you can't go wrong with either of them. How much are you driving when you're up at the cabin?

The 100 drives so much nicer than the 80, but you can't go wrong with either of them. How much are you driving when you're up at the cabin?

Cabin life is a lonely existence for a LC, we get up and average of 3 times a season. Other family and friends use it when up. I gets some miles because nothing is around the corner, but mostly highway and some dirt / forest service roads. C thinks I will want to DD the 100, but when I started on the 80 my goal was to have a very capable triple locked truck so it’s already on that path. I want to keep the 100 comfy and not too extreme.

Kelly,

I am running the Tough Dog 2” suspension, not sure how high you want to go but I did not get the DDK per Jason (Trail Tailor). Comment below is from conversation with him...

Hey Luis hope all is well.

The standard Tough Dog suspension is ~1.75" lift. So, a little shy of the 2" mark, but you don't need to run a diff drop with anything less than a 2" lift, IMO..

Thanks Luis, rear should be about 2 to 2.5” higher with 860’s. Front will keep the rake so about an inch lower. We will see.

If you are ever thinking of taking it across any rocks, I would seriously consider sliders. That's my next addition as I'm sooo anxious about the rockers.

Plus they really look bad a$$.

I am partial to the ARB bumper

12EA32F4-A2F0-49B2-8FB8-E302723ED530.jpeg

Looks sharp

I have the IronMan4x4 Foam Cell lift kit with the Trail Tailor Diff drop. So I swapped out AHC with Foam Shocks, Rear Coils, and new front Torsion Bars. I also have the IronMan Bumper which you can get right now for $999 plus free shipping to a freight dock. Still on stock sized tires at the moment. I did all the work in my garage by myself. I also ended up having to change outter tire rod ends, upper ball joints and sway bar links and bushings. It aligned just OK with factory upper control arms. It would be better with some UCA's designed for a lifted truck. Once Apache Offroad is back in stock with UCA's, I think I will go that route and have it aligned again.
driveway.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom