Load Range B,C,D or E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, We don't have a build thread. I was going to put something together, Just haven't done it yet. I was going to wait until the Bumpers and Electronics were installed to even post it up. We went down to our place in Tucson for the Holiday. Photos looked good so I posted some up.

Whenever you have time, just start the build thread with what you have and keep adding as time goes by.

And to try to answer the OP's question about suspension...there's no basic suspension on the GX470 that is the standard as far as I can tell. In the old days on my 80, the standard was OME and it was easy to get a basic mild build for the 80.

Nowadays, it's more complicated for the GX470. There are several options in the lower end of the price spectrum as well as on the higher end of the price spectrum. Check this thread out: GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000

In my garage, I have a coil conversion kit including new OME 60004 rear springs, but I'm actually thinking of selling the new OME 60004 rear springs and getting the Dobinson variable rate rear coils. I'm still running rear air bags, so I have time to think it over. I'm happy with the Bilstein 6112s up front and might get matching rear Bilstein 5160 resi shocks and the Dobinson variable spring rate rear coils.

I ran OME kits w/progressive rear coils on several Land Rovers years back. I thought they preformed pretty good. It wasn't a sophisticated system, well behaved weighted and tolerable unloaded. But as you said, Those setups on the older live axle applications were pretty basic when compared to modern day Coil Overs/Control Arm indy suspensions.

I liked my Icon setup on the FJ Cruiser I owned. But never really carried much weight in the back of that truck.
I've been poking around and finding guys who are having binding problems with Light Racing SPC UCA's when the front is at full droop. YIKES!
I'm narrowing it down to Dobinson or Ironman CO's and shocks then finding the right UCA's and rear spring rate. I am considering long travel for the rear.
Do we all over think this whole suspension thing? Maybe... But get it wrong, you'll find yourself in a truck that doesn't perform reliably and effectively over rough tracks. Not to mention the financial part of it all. I still believe, keep it at no higher than 2" and all is good.
So I'll keep an open mind and looking on Mud for others that feel they have a great setup for their needs and application.

I'll get back to my original reason I started this thread: The tires.
So far and it's only been a week with limited miles. The fit is really good on stock height. Including the spare in it's recess. Traction of the DuraTrac is excellent. The steering is a tad bit "sharp" (I guess that's how I'll describe it) as it is 20mil narrower than OEM and it might catch edges in terrain a little quicker but overall the handling is very acceptable. Definitely doesn't wallow the way the wider, softer road biased tires handled.
I'm satisfied with the E rated choice.

Jeff

A friend and I are having this discussion currently, LR C, D, E. I have the BFG Ko2 LRE and am pleased. Friend got P-metric LR C and has had a sidewall gash and tread puncture, but in AZ limestone. His rig is also a DD and he has typical city commute and traffic, so negatively affecting acceleration and braking would be intolerable; as such, his research suggests a LR E is too much tire for a DD/weekend warrior rig. I differ with the argument the GX's 2UZ-FE is more than adequate to move the LR E tire which I ultimately selected after near analysis-paralysis during tire research. My GX is a DD (short trips - small town) with road trips (annual 2,000mi round trips, biannual 700+ mi round trips, a recent 5,000 mile round trip, etc.), weekend camping (involving dirt and trails) in SE Utah and multi-day trips in Canyonlands districts and the nearby mountains in SW CO., and some light towing (whitewater raft, fully loaded the trailer kit tips 1100#). I have NO qualms/complaints of this tire on the GX with stock suspension. I think the AVS and auto-leveling rear airbags dampen potential rough riding adequately, also I have KDSS (I think its effect on and off road is great); I favor the one notch left of sport for regular daily use, and dial back one or 2 clicks towards comfort on the interstate and all the way to comfort on trails I'm not negatively affected by the LER stiffness and am very pleased with the reliability across terrain and weather, ergo the added strength insurance leaves no hesitation for impulse trips/trails in the Red rock canyon country around my home, and I have no hesitation in loading the rig for multi-day trips (last fall was 1300# of bodies and gear for a 5-day off-road trip in the Maze). I knew the KO2 came in LRC and more recent I've learned the BFG KO2 comes in D LR as well. As such, I may recommend the LR D to others with some light towing needs, off road use and daily driving on pavement with wet and winter conditions as well (friend with a Taco) who doesn't need the high load capacity of the E but would benefit from the sidewalls, strength and added load capacity over XL.

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with your choice and yes, tire purchase certainly requires is due attention. I second @HomersCanyonero in want for a build thread.

Ciao

After much debate I settled on BFG KO2's E rated 265 70 17's. I saw about 10 cars on the side of the road yesterday with flat tires and some with bent rims from pot holes. Holy Sh!t they are all over in our area. If you hit one going 65 mph they can really do some damage. I'll settle for a slightly stiffer ride for a tougher tire any day.

UPDATE....
I've logged about 2000 miles since I installed the GY DT 245/75/17 in LR E on the GX.
I'll admit they are still just a tad bit twitchy on road due to the narrower 245 width as opposed to stock 265. I've played with air pressures and 38psi F&R seems right for me.
I was out in about 8-10" of wet snow a few days ago on a 15* incline and the GX pulled thru exceptionally.
That was my whole reasoning for going with the slightly skinnier tire. I believe narrower is better in almost every situation off pavement (maybe with the exception of deep dry sand). Air em down and go!
The downside is on road. They simply don't seem to handle as well.

JMHO....
Jeff

Interesting feedback on the road performance/handling. I am running a little narrow compared to the stock width, but wider than 245 and have positive feedback, but they are not LR Es.

Might just be too narrow. A 245/75 is even a touch shorter than a 265/70. Any pictures of em...I am curious.

UPDATE....
I've logged about 2000 miles since I installed the GY DT 245/75/17 in LR E on the GX.
I'll admit they are still just a tad bit twitchy on road due to the narrower 245 width as opposed to stock 265. I've played with air pressures and 38psi F&R seems right for me.
I was out in about 8-10" of wet snow a few days ago on a 15* incline and the GX pulled thru exceptionally.
That was my whole reasoning for going with the slightly skinnier tire. I believe narrower is better in almost every situation off pavement (maybe with the exception of deep dry sand). Air em down and go!
The downside is on road. They simply don't seem to handle as well.

JMHO....
Jeff
Thanks for all your efforts Jeff. I’ve been trying to decide which size is best for me and my thinking is along your lines. You settled the LR E Duratracs for me.

Here's a pic of the GX w/245/75/17 Goodyear Duratrac's
Stock suspension in Normal ride height.

This thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd see if you've updated your opinion after a bit more time. I'm getting a 470 this weekend and can get a great deal on some 245/75/17 Falkens, but they are also E rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom