Load Range B,C,D or E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fella's
I need new tires on my 08 470. I've narrowed it down to a few choices but want to ask for opinions and experiences with the different load ranges on a GX.
Currently the car has passenger car tires on it Bridgestone HT's and they're shot. Totally an on pavement tire.
I'm contemplating Goodyear Duratrac's in a 245/75/17 on stock rims but these are a load range E truck tire. Will this tire ruin the fairly soft and compliant ride of the GX?
I have ran almost every All Terrain, and Mud Terrain on the market on so many different trucks and Utilities over the last 40 years. Rover,Toyota,Jeep, but never owned a Lexus GX till now. And I'm really liking this car. I plan on a mild build with keeping good road manors in mind.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

I've run SL/B all terrains and found them a bit soft when loaded down for a trip. Been running E all terrains for a few years now and will not make this mistake again - they are not horrible, but they have changed the ride substantially and are pretty rough (usually run 34-36psi). Next set is going to be C all terrains, should be a perfect setup.

Folks will say you have to run E because sidewalls! If you're bombing through rocks all day, sure; otherwise, for a daily driver and moderate offroad, C or even Sl are fine. The E penalty is weight and ply equivalence for load capacity beyond the GX's limits, which doesn't sound like a need for you.

I agree with your reply. I've put the Load range E's on a few of my trucks (Jeeps specifically were impacted most) and found out the hard way that they were just too stiff for all sorts of applications. On and Off road.
I really had my sites on the 245/75/17 DuraTrac but it's only available with a load range E. I may have to settle on the 265/70/17. I'm on stock suspension now, and plan on AHC removal and a nice suspension setup in the coming months but tires are needed ASAP.
I looked under the truck and I'm pretty confident a 32" maximum dia tire will fit in the OEM location. (Non KDSS with factory hitch)
I was actually able to put a 285/75/17 under my 4Runner with the factory 2" receiver hitch. I personally won't go that wide again. I felt it hurt fuel economy too much and Off Road it just never had a tactile feel to it. I come from a "Narrower is much better than the Fattie camp"

Thanks

I have E-rated 275/70r17s. They are significantly heavier than the passenger tires that were on prior, but they didn’t take long to get used to. Slightly stiffer over bumps, but overall not as stiff as I anticipated.

C-rated 265/70s would probably be perfect to maintain the plush factory ride. However, I had C-rated 265/75r16 Duratracs on my Tacoma and they were really soft, but Duratracs have a reputation for being softer than most similar size tires.

Same load range can feel very different depending the design. Highway tire would feel softer than all terrain. sidewall thickness would also impact ride quality a lot.

My 255/80R17 would give too much sidewall flex if it's C load range.

I have BFG AT KO2 in a Load C. 285/70

If I can continue to run this tire for the life of the vehicle I will. Really does it all and isn’t all that loud.

After much contemplation my search ended today and new tires were installed on the 120.
I've always been excited about picking out new tires. I'm sure many other enthusiasts also have the same passion with a little reservation on this mod as it may possibly be one of the most important mods made to our trucks.
I ended up mounting the Goodyear DuraTrac 245/75/17 only available in a load range E. The spare fit easily in my non KDSS / with factory installed hitch equipped car.
No real drama with power loss, braking performance affected slightly as the tire is much heavier than the take-offs. As Arailt and Jstawgn noted, ride quality can be different from tires of the same load range but different manufacturer. I expected a much harsher ride but overall I'm very pleased.
I have no doubt that after a suspension lift is installed the 245's will look pueney and disproportional but my end goal is to retain power in all gears, best fuel economy as possible, and less strain on drivetrain components.
All of my research using the Mud forum defiantly helped.

Thanks to the entire Mud Community

I had the 265 70 17 Duratracks in E range (special order) on my GX and changed them within a week and when to the C range. Good Year gave me full credit I just had to pay for labor to change them out. The E range were fine on my LX450 though with the added weight. The plus about the Duratracks in the E range is that they are a half inch wider which looked nicer on the GX than the 265 70 17 C range plus a stiffer side wall better in the rocks. The down side is that were I live the roads are rough and the E range was really a constant jarring to me. Your experience may be different.

FYI I loved my Duratracks on both trucks ... but know that they are quiet when new but tend to get louder and louder after about 30K miles. This was my experience and what has been told to my guys at Discount Tires by several people. Now at 35K I'm planning to swap them with 12/32 or still with 60% tread left because they almost sound like a mud tire.

Looking back months ago My load range E tire does feel a lot harsher. This is when I still have OEM suspension. The PO already converted the rear to coil using strutmaster kit. No adjustment anymore for rear shock.

Tires definitely integral part of suspension. This is where adjustable suspension shines. You could compensate to your tire, load and terrain quite a bit more than fixed suspension. The OEM Lexus enginner agrees and that is why we have adjustable suspension from factory.

I have simple adjtable shocks now. Not as sexy looking as remote reservoir suspension but it actually works really well and very affordable compared to other adjustable option. It's low tech foam cell design so not much could go wrong unlike high pressure rebuild able suspension. Most of the high end suspension are rebuildable because they do need a lot more maintenance.

I'm noticing that the 245/75/17 E rated Duratracs are a bit stiffer than the passenger car rated Bridgestones that were on the truck when I purchased it. No surprise there!
But they aren't nearly as stiff as the BFG KM2's E rated I ran on a Jeep Rubicon a few years back. As many have said in posts about the Duratrac's they do seem to have a softer sidewall. I think this does help with ride quality with a possible sacrifice of tire durability off pavement.

Tires are a big investment we make to improve the capability of our trucks. it's debated, subjective, and of course a very compromising piece of kit any of us add to our vehicle. And when we find the "Holy Grail" that makes us feel our machine can tackle any terrain without drama it's a wonderful feeling.

Well, I've never owned a GX before. Never purchased a Goodyear Duratrac. So as for now, it's all experimental.
But I will add, I'm really liking this Car/Truck/SUV,,, Not sure what it should be categorized as?

Now for the suspension..... That will without doubt be daunting..
Icon, Radflo, Ironman, OME, then all the subkits of each manufacturer. I'm glad I've done all of this on a truck or two before but it still isn't easy.

Jeff

full
We have the KO2's E rated. Just went from CA, (Southern CA) to our home in Tucson. Also went down to Bisbee, AZ. While I like the KO2's, I am not sure they are the "right" tire for us. Much of or driving will be highway getting there miles. Most of our "Off Road" driving will be in the Southern AZ area. I might change them to a more suitable road tire.

Last edited:
I run E rated tires, all it takes is one time having a rock tear the tread of a 4 ply tire out on a forest road or trail and you’ll want the heavier ply tire. The little bit harder ride and to me it is minimal is worth the protection on the trail.

I run E rated tires, all it takes is one time having a rock tear the tread of a 4 ply tire out on a forest road or trail and you’ll want the heavier ply tire. The little bit harder ride and to me it is minimal is worth the protection on the trail.

Good point. I was thinking a good "on road" tire and switching once we are there to our "off road" tires.

Last edited:
Same. 38#. Happy. E rated

Good point. I was thinking a good "on road" tire and switching once we are there to our "off road" tires.

It’s too bulky to carry 4 offroad tires and too much work to swap them at the trail. But that’s just me.

I had been thinking of something less than e rated, but when a rock garden shows up on the trail...I’m glad I have e rated. It would suck to get two flats and be stranded miles from help!

Also, D rated seem less available, weight the same as e rated, and cost about the same. The next is C rated but I do offroad, so e rated is the way to go

if you have them to swap out at home before you head out then that would be good.
Where we live in Colorado, I hit dirt and forest roads about once a week, so we have them on my GX470 and Girlfriends GX460. She hits dirt and forest roads about 2-3 times a week showing homes and land. right now she has studded snow tires on, which I swap out for the season.

if you have them to swap out at home before you head out then that would be good.
Where we live in Colorado, I hit dirt and forest roads about once a week, so we have them on my GX470 and Girlfriends GX460. She hits dirt and forest roads about 2-3 times a week showing homes and land. right now she has studded snow tires on, which I swap out for the season.

Yes, That is exactly what I am thinking. When on the mainland, we go back and forth from CA to AZ. I could keep the additional set in Tucson. Switch out once we arrive there. My wife was thinking just leave the GX down there year round. I guess that is an option too.

@Kelevra do you have build thread? If you do please link it in your signature. Your Gx470 is looking good. I’m just lazy to use search button today. LOL

full
We have the KO2's E rated. Just went from CA, (Southern CA) to our home in Tucson. Also went down to Bisbee, AZ. While I like the KO2's, I am not sure they are the "right" tire for us. Much of or driving will be highway getting there miles. Most of our "Off Road" driving will be in the Southern AZ area. I might change them to a more suitable road tire.

@Kelevra do you have build thread? If you do please link it in your signature. Your Gx470 is looking good. I’m just lazy to use search button today. LOL
No, We don't have a build thread. I was going to put something together, Just haven't done it yet. I was going to wait until the Bumpers and Electronics were installed to even post it up. We went down to our place in Tucson for the Holiday. Photos looked good so I posted some up.

And to try to answer the OP's question about suspension...there's no basic suspension on the GX470 that is the standard as far as I can tell. In the old days on my 80, the standard was OME and it was easy to get a basic mild build for the 80.

Nowadays, it's more complicated for the GX470. There are several options in the lower end of the price spectrum as well as on the higher end of the price spectrum. Check this thread out: GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000

In my garage, I have a coil conversion kit including new OME 60004 rear springs, but I'm actually thinking of selling the new OME 60004 rear springs and getting the Dobinson variable rate rear coils. I'm still running rear air bags, so I have time to think it over. I'm happy with the Bilstein 6112s up front and might get matching rear Bilstein 5160 resi shocks and the Dobinson variable spring rate rear coils.

I'm noticing that the 245/75/17 E rated Duratracs are a bit stiffer than the passenger car rated Bridgestones that were on the truck when I purchased it. No surprise there!
But they aren't nearly as stiff as the BFG KM2's E rated I ran on a Jeep Rubicon a few years back. As many have said in posts about the Duratrac's they do seem to have a softer sidewall. I think this does help with ride quality with a possible sacrifice of tire durability off pavement.

Tires are a big investment we make to improve the capability of our trucks. it's debated, subjective, and of course a very compromising piece of kit any of us add to our vehicle. And when we find the "Holy Grail" that makes us feel our machine can tackle any terrain without drama it's a wonderful feeling.

Well, I've never owned a GX before. Never purchased a Goodyear Duratrac. So as for now, it's all experimental.
But I will add, I'm really liking this Car/Truck/SUV,,, Not sure what it should be categorized as?

Now for the suspension..... That will without doubt be daunting..
Icon, Radflo, Ironman, OME, then all the subkits of each manufacturer. I'm glad I've done all of this on a truck or two before but it still isn't easy.

Jeff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom