LJ78 test run 3 and River Shiver pre run. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
So yesterday it was time to put the little LJ78 to a bit tougher test.
The weather was calling for a high of 7C and USUALLY this means a thin layer of mud on top of frozen ground so i switched to my ENS cheap mud tires to help with the traction.
As it turns out this was a big mistake but oh well, yah win some yah loose some.
We met at our usual spot for breaky and by the end we had 2 4Runners, a FJ45, a stock BJ60 and the LJ78. To me this is a excellent number for wheeling.
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG

We headed out at 9am to further pre-run the River Shiver trails. this time we decided to head in Mockingbird from East to West. As we drove first west then north on the 940 we could feel it was a beautiful day int he making...
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG

the snow was a bit deeper than before but not much. the consistancy though was crystal so traction was not in our favor in the morning. as you can see we are not the only ones that enjoy the pre-runs...
this time we were able to watch Spencers "Mini Behemoth" in action. when we were standing at the top of the hill looking down the truck looked a LOT like Peter Straubs Behemoth...for a truck that he built by himself it performed flawlessly. it is nice to see someone take an idea and make it work.
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG

it was heard in passing that the ENS tires give the LJ78 a 3rd world look to it. the tires are great in everything but this kind of snow. i needed momentum to get up the hills and trying to stay out of the ruts was a challenge, actually an effort in futility since these buggers just wanted to slide to the lowest point available. i still did most of the trails in High range but on a couple hills i needed 4L and the locker engaged. a snow tire would have definately changed the drivablity of the LJ78.
as you can see the day was perfect for being in the snowy mountains. as we drove further along we would discuss alternate routes and the terrain for the upcoming River Shiver.
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG

we were breaking fresh trail most of the day. even in light snow covering this can make for some interesting wheeling. ice hidden under the snow for a lack of traction near the top of the hills. ruts with more snow in them than others, and just general slip slidding around.
it really makes for a fun day wheeling...
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG

there was one particular hill that was nasty piece of work. there was a 90 degree turn right at the bottom so as you tried to get up the hill you needed to turn sharp at the bottom. if you didn't make the turn you could end up in the trees. the interesting part of this is the hill was a sheet of ice so the only way up was momentum. i got very lucky with the diff locked and full throttle i barely made it to the top and over. Then came Spencer in his 4runner creepig all the way up, Kevin in his 45 working the tires back and forth and the locker int he back definatley helping out he made the top with out assistance. Rob in his chained up 4runner did just fine and then there was Randy left in his bone stock BJ60 with winter tires.
he gave some valient tries but he would power out just as he crested the hill so back down he would go with the brakes locked on. slipping all the way to the bottom and around the bend to disappear for a few seconds befroe trying it yet once again. you could see a combination of excitement and frustration on his face as he woudl go slidding back down.
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG

finally Kevin was albe to hook his winch on before Randy slid back down again. a bit of winching and we were ready to tackle the next hill...
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG

shortly after this we had to abandon the trail cause the hills had icy section that only we couldn't get all the trucks up. it was decided to turn around and head down to the frozen river for lunch. on the way back down a different loop to the river the ruts got bigger and bigger...
can you beat this view for a llunch break?
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG

on the way to the falls we ahd a couple creek crossings and Randy got hung up on the ice... oops. at least the water is very shallow, COLD but shallow. a tug from the LJ and he was up and out.
Spencer decided to test out his climbing ability.
and then it was on to the falls.
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG

after lunch it was decided we would head back to the falls along the wiperous creek trail which is fairly flat. we did a bit of a speed run and it was apparent i had found a definate shortcoming of the LJ78. it does not like to have the back end come off the ground. the ride usually is on par with the HDJ81 but the springs in the back of the LJ are just too light for this kind of manouvers. a bit stiffer shocks and / or springs would take care of that problem. the old leaf springs seemed to be able to control this much better.
on the way to the falls we decided to try a side loop that would cut minutes off the trail and be a bit more entertaining. it is a rutted up hill with a very steep drop back down to the river.
once back to the falls we took the high road to veiw the rock crevice from above...
the high road is a very steep climb with a severe drop off on the right. this hill is usually covered with snow and ice base with some very good sized rocks added in for good measure. once the River Shiver is in action those with a sense of adventure can give this hill a try.
the rock crevase has a very good flow of water late spring early summer roaring though it. it truely is a great sight to see...
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG

the view up the valley is a nice reward and in the later winter it has a sheet of ice that extended from wall to wall...
the blues of the ice contrasted with the greys of the rock and the wite of the snow makes for a picturesque scene wortht he efforts...
IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

as the day wore on the snow changed and allowed us much more traction so we went back and finished the mockinbird trails from the other end. the trail consists of steep snow overed hills with, in places, deep ruts to keep it all interesting but on the way Randy got stuck again in the same creek. once he was yanked out Kevin came through with his 45 but the ice was now sweating and he got all four tires out and just slipped this way and that till finally he got up.
the suns set quickly and with the wind coming up and the temps dropping we took one last pic and headed for home.
no broken parts, no broken bones so the day was a great run.
cheers and thanks for following along.
IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

Awesome!

Please keep those pics flowing; I've got quite the sales job in front of me to convince the Mrs. that we want to attend this River Shiver.

If I just reprint these pics and dialogue on glossy paper and tell her that they came some from fancy travel magazine I should be laughing...

-Steve

what happened to RECON? i got a giggle out of that. my pal was in the reconnaisance section in his infantry unit of the Lincoln And Welland regiment.

i was in the military too and i said RECON one day and he corrected me.. the correct canadian word is " RECCE" and .. it is.

i felt stupid because when i was in forces we would say the word recce (pronounced "reckie") all the time.

RECON is from the american movies, it jsut goes to show how we are influenced by the media, even though it was a big deal in the Canadian Military if you said RECON.

ohh and.. Nice pics! id love to come to a river shiver, my pal in banff is coming to one of your meetings soon, he wants to get a cruiser, but needs someone to look at it.

A couple more pics

First off, a big thanks to all those who had to pull me out, the half dozen times or so I was stuck. Hopefully my attempts at the hills were entertaining enough. I must of travelled about a quarter mile - backwards and locked up!

Wayne you said,"...no broken parts, no broken bones so the day was a great run."

You sure about that? I seem to recall you pancaking pretty hard.

Last edited:
those are 2 nice shots there Randy. It was a joy to have you along. for me it was a blast watching you attack the hills. a bit more joy juice next time and you will do alright. (although you driving skill surprised me just the right amount of throttle and up you come) it is amazing where a stocker can go, eh?
you are welcome on any of the runs.
yah, the pancaking knocked the wind right out of me for a couple minutes, i guess that is what i get for laughing at Kevin sliding back into the creek. a little stiff between the blades but it felt like a whole massage/chiro sesion all at once.

thanks for the compliments guys, if you can make the River Shiver you will have a excellent time...

<plug for River Shiver>

for those of you that are thinking about coming to the River Shiver make sure you book early so you can get the early bird special rate.
it was so much fun last year even my wife is booked to go this year.
cheers

Looks like you guys had a blast. I'll be signing up as soon as I find if I can get the time off.

I recognise most of those areas... I'll have to see if I still have pictures from when I took my 'zuki through there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom