LJ78 2LTE to ?________? Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the idea of the 4Y

If you're talking about the 4Y engine, it doesn't have the power to move an LJ78 IMHO. It's like a 22RE, but has less power even. And people that have 22RE's in these trucks say they are super gutless. The 2LTE can make way more power with a bit of tuning.

One important question: Is your LJ78 manual or automatic? If automatic, you have to consider what to do about the electronic control of the transmission when you swap to a different engine.

Here is how I see it:

1KZTE - Fairly easy upgrade, as this engine came in the later KZJ78 anyhow. The 1KZTE ECU can control Prado transmission. Still risk of head problems.

1KZT - very desirable because of the mechanical injection system, but would require some creativity to keep the auto transmission working properly. However it would be perfect with a manual transmission. Still risk head problems.

3L - Again, will require creativity to run the auto trans. Less power than what you have. If you turbo it to regain power, you can still run into the same head problems you already face with the 2TLE. And in fact, the 2LTE is better built for boost with stronger pistons and a lower compression ratio. So really there is no point IMHO.

1KD-FTV - Will be very expensive to obtain. Is a newer electronic engine, so you will need to consider there will be wiring challenges. Will be a pretty unique swap, so you will be breaking trail on it. Hard to get parts for. Also, has a CRD injection system which I've heard can be failure prone and expensive to repair.

If my 2LTE blew up tomorrow, I think hands down I would install a Lexus 1UZ-FE 4.0l V8 engine. This swap is well proven into Prados. It's almost like the engine belongs in there. Fuel economy will be the same as the 2LTE, but it makes three times as much power. It is one of the most over engineered long lasting engines Toyota has ever made. It can be obtained for less than $1500 by simply purchasing a running Lexus LS400.

One of your easiest and most affordable options is to fix your turbo, sell your Prado, and buy a more suitable land cruiser. If you wanted to stick with a PRado, you could buy this one that already has a 3B-turbo in it: Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds Or you could look at other cruisers like the HDJ81, HJ61 etc.

Incidentally, I am upgrading to a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T turbo and will be selling my OEM turbo. My OEM turbo is in great shape and was rebuilt about 20,000kms ago. I'll be selling my OEM turbo soonish, so if you interested, let me know.

Here is what a Lexus V8 looks like in a PRado:
lj703-jpg.948327

lj702-jpg.948328
One important question: Is your LJ78 manual or automatic? If automatic, you have to consider what to do about the electronic control of the transmission when you swap to a different engine.

Here is how I see it:

1KZTE - Fairly easy upgrade, as this engine came in the later KZJ78 anyhow. The 1KZTE ECU can control Prado transmission. Still risk of head problems.

1KZT - very desirable because of the mechanical injection system, but would require some creativity to keep the auto transmission working properly. However it would be perfect with a manual transmission. Still risk head problems.

3L - Again, will require creativity to run the auto trans. Less power than what you have. If you turbo it to regain power, you can still run into the same head problems you already face with the 2TLE. And in fact, the 2LTE is better built for boost with stronger pistons and a lower compression ratio. So really there is no point IMHO.

1KD-FTV - Will be very expensive to obtain. Is a newer electronic engine, so you will need to consider there will be wiring challenges. Will be a pretty unique swap, so you will be breaking trail on it. Hard to get parts for. Also, has a CRD injection system which I've heard can be failure prone and expensive to repair.

If my 2LTE blew up tomorrow, I think hands down I would install a Lexus 1UZ-FE 4.0l V8 engine. This swap is well proven into Prados. It's almost like the engine belongs in there. Fuel economy will be the same as the 2LTE, but it makes three times as much power. It is one of the most over engineered long lasting engines Toyota has ever made. It can be obtained for less than $1500 by simply purchasing a running Lexus LS400.

One of your easiest and most affordable options is to fix your turbo, sell your Prado, and buy a more suitable land cruiser. If you wanted to stick with a PRado, you could buy this one that already has a 3B-turbo in it: Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds Or you could look at other cruisers like the HDJ81, HJ61 etc.

Incidentally, I am upgrading to a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T turbo and will be selling my OEM turbo. My OEM turbo is in great shape and was rebuilt about 20,000kms ago. I'll be selling my OEM turbo soonish, so if you interested, let me know.

lj703-jpg.948327

lj702-jpg.948328
Greetings I am the first time user,I wish to know what are the modifications you will need to do with lexus LS400 1UZ-FE INTO THE LJ78 PRADO with regard to the gear box??Does it fit to gear assembly?do you need to change the radiators??what general modifications are there?
I wish to buy a new engine also for my Prado LJ78 as it has blown the turbo and the engine broke the timing belt.

Sorry I wrote this in a rush.
The ECU works with the 1KZTE. The 1KZT doesn't need the ECU as far as I've read.
And I can no longer find the link for the 1KZT but I remember finding it for around that price.

Im currently helping a mate of mine with a swap from the 2lte in his lj78 to a 1kzte, is this reply here suggesting we can use the lj78 cab/engine harness and ecu with the 1kzte engine? is there any differences between the 2lte and 1kzte ecus in terms of how they control the engine?

Im currently helping a mate of mine with a swap from the 2lte in his lj78 to a 1kzte, is this reply here suggesting we can use the lj78 cab/engine harness and ecu with the 1kzte engine? is there any differences between the 2lte and 1kzte ecus in terms of how they control the engine?

The ECU's of the 2LTE and early 1KZTE control the engines in much the same manner. But the 1KZTE has more displacement, and a 12mm (vs 2LTE 10mm) injection pump. This means it injects a lot more fuel for the same Spill Valve duty cycle. Thus the 2LTE ECU on the 1KZTE would probably run the engine way too rich; like very high idle, smoke, check engine light etc. If you want a nice running vehicle, use the 1KZTE ECU and harness with the 1KZTE engine.

What may work would be the 2LTE ECU, and 2LTE injection pump on the 1KZTE. It would probably idle ok with some adjustment to the spill valve. But it will run leaner with much less power than it should.

Question about the UZ-FE swap, is it just the 1UZ that works or do the later 2 and 3 versions also fit as well? Looking at buying something with the compatible engine to do the LJ78 swap down the line

Question about the UZ-FE swap, is it just the 1UZ that works or do the later 2 and 3 versions also fit as well? Looking at buying something with the compatible engine to do the LJ78 swap down the line
They all fit, but the newer they are, the more challenging the electrical will be. Reading through this post again, I see I used to be pretty pumped about the 1uz. Having talked to people now who have swapped to 1uzs, I don't think I'd go that route any longer. I'd keep it diesel. 15bft with an h55 would be awesome. Or any direct injection b series diesel.

I haven’t seen a 2UZ swap yet, but there is an outfit in New Zealand that has put a 3UZ in one:
Looks pretty awesome, but the wiring would be the challenging part for sure.

They all fit, but the newer they are, the more challenging the electrical will be. Reading through this post again, I see I used to be pretty pumped about the 1uz. Having talked to people now who have swapped to 1uzs, I don't think I'd go that route any longer. I'd keep it diesel. 15bft with an h55 would be awesome. Or any direct injection b series diesel.
Are there downsides to the 1uz, or is that just because of the fuel price difference?

Are there downsides to the 1uz, or is that just because of the fuel price difference?

Although the 1UZ is pretty economical in the LS400, it does apparently drink substantially once in a landcruiser (especially lifted with big tires). I've also heard that cooling problems can persist even when the 2LTE is swapped out. The LJ78 radiator is tucked in a small space and there is only so much that can be done to upgrade it. So for me with towing, I'm sure I'd be getting the 1UZ good and hot. Although 1UZ's are cheap to get, that is just the beginning of the cost. There are A343f mods to be done, custom exhaust, mounts, electrical, etc. etc. Doing the job mostly yourself I'm sure it'll add up to $5k+ by the time your happy. Many say $10k is the number.

If a 2LTE is running fine, I really think there is no reason to swap it out. They're economical. Unless towing, they can be cooled fine. They're easy to tune up for about 140hp and 250ft/lb once intercooled, which is decent enough power. That power doesn't seem like much, but I can cruise up an 8% grade in overdrive with my 35s at 90km/h, 100+ with my 32s. Parts are easy to get and cheap relative to newer diesels. They're easy to work on. $2000 into upgrades will have a great running motor. Much cheaper than a swap.

Now if a 2LTE was totally toast with bottom end issues etc, then I'd look into swaps. B series, 1KZT, 1KDFTV, etc. Or on gasser end early 1UZ, 5VZ, etc.

Swaps are not easy either. Were you planning to try this yourself or pay someone?

Although the 1UZ is pretty economical in the LS400, it does apparently drink substantially once in a landcruiser (especially lifted with big tires). I've also heard that cooling problems can persist even when the 2LTE is swapped out. The LJ78 radiator is tucked in a small space and there is only so much that can be done to upgrade it. So for me with towing, I'm sure I'd be getting the 1UZ good and hot. Although 1UZ's are cheap to get, that is just the beginning of the cost. There are A343f mods to be done, custom exhaust, mounts, electrical, etc. etc. Doing the job mostly yourself I'm sure it'll add up to $5k+ by the time your happy. Many say $10k is the number.

If a 2LTE is running fine, I really think there is no reason to swap it out. They're economical. Unless towing, they can be cooled fine. They're easy to tune up for about 140hp and 250ft/lb once intercooled, which is decent enough power. That power doesn't seem like much, but I can cruise up an 8% grade in overdrive with my 35s at 90km/h, 100+ with my 32s. Parts are easy to get and cheap relative to newer diesels. They're easy to work on. $2000 into upgrades will have a great running motor. Much cheaper than a swap.

Now if a 2LTE was totally toast with bottom end issues etc, then I'd look into swaps. B series, 1KZT, 1KDFTV, etc. Or on gasser end early 1UZ, 5VZ, etc.

Swaps are not easy either. Were you planning to try this yourself or pay someone?
I'm hoping to try it myself. I've got enough family that have done engine swaps before I should be able to get most of it done for just parts and beer.

Right now I'm just preparing for the worst case scenario. I'm at 210k and a quarter of that was with pretty well no cooling system. Wrong rad cap, wrong thermostat, and a radiator that hadn't been pressurized in years. So I'm going on the assumption I'll probably have problems sooner rather than later.

Overall plan is figure out what the most affordable options are, when it kicks the bucket ill buy something with the engine I want and do the swap. If it works out what I'd love to do is convert it to electric, I'm just waiting to find out the price of a kit made for converting LJ78's that some mining company makes

Here is how I see it:

One of your easiest and most affordable options is to fix your turbo, sell your Prado, and buy a more suitable land cruiser. If you wanted to stick with a PRado, you could buy this one that already has a 3B-turbo in it: Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds - http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/vancouver/1991-toyota-land-cruiser-lj78-suv-crossover/1044501848?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true Or you could look at other cruisers like the HDJ81, HJ61 etc.

lj703-jpg.948327

lj702-jpg.948328
What is involved in 1 uz fe swap? Moving engine mounts, ECU, wiring loom ? How about the great box i know bell housing is about the same. Guess i need to dig into threads a little more

What is involved in 1 uz fe swap? Moving engine mounts, ECU, wiring loom ? How about the great box i know bell housing is about the same. Guess i need to dig into threads a little more

Lots of info in my build thread. Still going strong. Very nice motor for the job, only downside is the fuel consumption.

Mind you if doing it again I'd likely also consider an LS* - they weren't really an affordable option back in 2006 when we did the swap. Probably too much for an LJ/KZJ drivetrain unless driven gently though.

Cheers
Clint

I have a 2lte that has a few modifications for HP and temp control and had been running fairly well when one day it starting smoking big time. Discovered it was from very high blow by from #2&3 cylinders which when tested had very low compression compared to the other two and turbo was of course being victimized via the very high crankcase pressure back through the turbo oil return line. Was going to install new pistons and rings but got a deal on a newer 2lte from a 99 Toyota Mark II Grande. My question is this should be a fairly straight forward swap shouldn’t it? Since it’s a post 94 2lte it should have the newer head ( not sure if mine was replaced) . Not much info on the diesel in the Mark II but I would think a 2lte and associated parts have remained the same although I would probably use some of my modified parts ie. throttle body, no EGR, 6 bladed fan, newer thermostat etc. Both vehicles are automatic but I am sure the sedans was different.

I have a 2lte that has a few modifications for HP and temp control and had been running fairly well when one day it starting smoking big time. Discovered it was from very high blow by from #2&3 cylinders which when tested had very low compression compared to the other two and turbo was of course being victimized via the very high crankcase pressure back through the turbo oil return line. Was going to install new pistons and rings but got a deal on a newer 2lte from a 99 Toyota Mark II Grande. My question is this should be a fairly straight forward swap shouldn’t it? Since it’s a post 94 2lte it should have the newer head ( not sure if mine was replaced) . Not much info on the diesel in the Mark II but I would think a 2lte and associated parts have remained the same although I would probably use some of my modified parts ie. throttle body, no EGR, 6 bladed fan, newer thermostat etc. Both vehicles are automatic but I am sure the sedans was different.

Wow, good score on the new motor. It should be fine. Anything different just swap over from the old motor. It's the long block that you need.

You can go to Megazip and compare a lot of the things part for part in the drawings. I'm pretty sure the injection system remained the same; which is the important thing. It would suck having to swap your old injection components between the two; but at least you can if you need to.

Wow, good score on the new motor. It should be fine. Anything different just swap over from the old motor. It's the long block that you need.

You can go to Megazip and compare a lot of the things part for part in the drawings. I'm pretty sure the injection system remained the same; which is the important thing. It would suck having to swap your old injection components between the two; but at least you can if you need to.
I’ll get a good look at it tomorrow as my son bought it at auction and sent me theses photos and a short video. From what I have seen from the very limited info on this configuration in the sedan it sounds the same, good call on MegaZip, I use them all the time over here in Okinawa. I will be interested to see if their are any differences in the EGR/throttle body and Turbo. He sent a little video which I couldn’t upload and it sounded normal.

Still haven’t had a chance to look it over in person but I saw another video in more detail and did some comparisons on MegaZip. The oil pan and pump are definitely different as would be expected, the oil filter is the same but it may be mounted horizontally which may work without changing. The fan and shroud are different, more blades which I already made that change and modified my shroud. The injector pump part# is different but it appears to be the same physically with all connections being the same, maybe an improved version on later 2lte engines. With all the heat shrouds on the turbo I can’t tell if it’s the same C20 that’s in mine currently but the part number is different so maybe there are some changes there as well but it’s hard to tell from the diagrams. I know the 2lte isn’t thought of very fondly in its early configuration but it’s been around for a while after the early mods and I believe by 99 it was probably at its apex so I am looking forward to getting this puppy installed in my Prado and se how it performs.

F9958706-FCCB-44FE-B3FF-456062BEA181.jpeg

F0E04D81-E0E8-44E9-9C33-CB5632EB934D.jpeg

A79328B9-109A-48A6-B9CF-0A477CF8933B.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom