lj78 13bt Failed swap, need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They crushed a copper washer (sounds like somebody didn't get the torque right heh)

I'm probably just being overly-sensitive. It's fine at higher RPM (though it feels to me like they already set the idle a little higher than it was pre-rebuild)

The hand throttle is hooked up and working yep. When they get the tach up and working again I'll see where I am
Good news.

Yep I'm always tweaking that hand throttle on cold start. I pretty much think everyone does on these 13BT. It seems the "idle screw" on the Injection Pump isn't even long enough to set so I"m not sure what thats about.

Make sure to vary those RPMs and according to my machine shop, find a hill and get some power up it. Get those rings seated and don't baby it.

They have some kind of special oil in it right now "for hardening", and it needs to go back to the rebuild shop at 800km to get that pulled out.
On new engines, they use a special running in oil. Maybe that's what this is.

Yep I'm always tweaking that hand throttle on cold start. I pretty much think everyone does on these 13BT
And all the other diesels. I remember getting a drive of a brand BJ40 and the owner showed me how to use it. I thought it a great idea. Ive always used them on my steep driveway, just turn it up a little and the engine would idle in reverse while I concentrated on mirrors traffic etc

Glad to see you back on the road.

I would like to point out that “Kinda like a baby Cummins that knows how to hold a fork properly” might just be the greatest turn of phrase about a Toyota diesel I’ve ever read.

I took the long way home and fretted like a protective mother over the egt gauge and oil pressure the whole way 😆
I know the feeling! I've gained an acute sensitivity to any odd noise, vibration, or smell that comes from my Cruiser, and most of the time its nothing. I think I am finally getting to the point in my project where my attention to gauges is no longer a dangerous distraction, but it takes effort not to be staring at them constantly.

If you ever make it back to the Northwest with the Prado be sure to give me a shout, I'd love to meet up!

I know the feeling! I've gained an acute sensitivity to any odd noise, vibration, or smell that comes from my Cruiser, and most of the time its nothing. I think I am finally getting to the point in my project where my attention to gauges is no longer a dangerous distraction, but it takes effort not to be staring at them constantly.

If you ever make it back to the Northwest with the Prado be sure to give me a shout, I'd love to meet up!
I'd love that. We'll be back up there one way or another (bj78 or fj-crusier) in the spring. Part of the problem I think is just not really having a baseline to compare it to. It's hard to know what unhealthy sounds like when you don't know what healthy sounds like..

welp we picked up the truck saturday morning. No more leaks. The tach is wired back up. setting the idle up to 850 or so with the hand throttle smooths it out. I suppose I'll have to start a build thread (or continue airheadnut's). Must be one of those "good problems"

That's fantastic! Here's hoping you have lots of trouble free miles ahead!

Lost oil pressure yesterday (thank goodness for that aftermarket oil-pressure gauge). Stopped the truck where it was and had it pulled home. Oil blasted all over the engine compartment, so thick it's hard to tell where it's coming from, but I suspect it's that same little oil-cooler or whatever that is beneath the filter. Towing it back to the rebuilders tomorrow :rolleyes:.

Lost oil pressure yesterday (thank goodness for that aftermarket oil-pressure gauge). Stopped the truck where it was and had it pulled home. Oil blasted all over the engine compartment, so thick it's hard to tell where it's coming from, but I suspect it's that same little oil-cooler or whatever that is beneath the filter. Towing it back to the rebuilders tomorrow :rolleyes:.

Wow, that sucks. You are not having good luck at all. Almost sounds like a blown hose, maybe the vacuum pump off of the back of the alternator or even the turbo pressure line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom