"Linda" a 2002 HDJ78R long range build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,

Some of you may have seen me introduce myself already in the registry and other threads. This thread here is going to detail the work I have done over the past year and a half, as well as any future work that goes into my Cruiser.

First off, I'll tell you why I bought her in September of 2017. I had been driving all over the Eastern States of Australia in the course of my work constructing guyed radio masts. All those kilometres were getting pretty tiresome having been forced to drive my at-the-time boss' crappy new Jeep Wrangler. I can't really think of a modern 4wd I dislike more than the new Jeeps, due to the floaty suspension and plastic everything, it just never felt like a workhorse.

On the job in Central NSW, 05/17
IMG_0111.jpg

I had already had the good fortune of co-piloting my good mate's Troopy from Brisbane to Perth back in November 2016. We went South from Brisbane as far as Ulladulla, then cut west to Canberra and onward to the Nullarbor and beyond. We did it all in 8 days and though it went by faster than I ever imagined, I have some great memories from that trip including spending my 30th under the Super Moon in outback South Australia, a few parties with people we met along the way, and surfing some truly frightening waves/spots. The other thing that happened was I realised that at some point I was going to have to get one for myself, and do the trip many more times in the future to feel like I had really seen and done it all.

First glimpses of Western Australia in the dawn.
F1540022.JPG

Speedway stickers on an old bus.
F1540020.JPG

My first taste of South Coast power.
F1540016.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So back to Linda. I had been searching for quite some time when Linda appeared on a Gumtree advertisement about 16 hours drive South of where I was working. I knew we'd be moving down that way once our project was finished, as we had some work to do down there already lined up, so I called up the owner and talked with him briefly about it. It all sounded good, but the main thing I was happy to learn was the name of the mechanic who completed all his servicing. I hung up and called up the wrencher, who turned out to be a number of things; a first class mechanic well known in his area with a wait time of 3 weeks to get something booked in, a Rainman type for remembering details of vehicles and their service history, extremely helpful, and genuinely surprised at the low price I was picking it up for. He told me that he had actually been looking after the vehicle from new, maintaining it on behalf of it's first owners, the SA government, before it changed hands to the current owner. Who, by chance had brought it back to him for regular maintenance. "If you don't buy it, I will." He said to me at the end of the conversation. I was sold, so I immediately called the seller back and arranged a deposit to secure the Troopcarrier while I finished my project in NSW.

Six long weeks later I finally made the trip down to pick her up and finalise the sale. The owner was a careful and meticulous German immigrant, which gave me even greater confidence that I was making a good call, and so far that has borne out to be true. In the picture below you can see how she was when I took ownership. The interior was stock as a rock, and pretty much everything you see here was all that was modified. The Ridepro 2" lift was in there too.

First laying eyes on "Linda", Delivery Day 09/17
IMG_0477.JPG

I had already pre-arranged with the mechanic that I would drop her off for the day and had him check the valve clearances, all fluids changed, and a general update on any maintenance I could expect coming down the line. All was good save for he mentioned the brakes could use a service within the next 5000km. He also gave me a copy of every invoice he ever issued relating to the vehicle. And in my first look through her as a new owner I found the factory logbook hidden under the passenger's seat.

So off we went, back to work. And holy hell I can tell you I was glad to be out of the Jeep and into something more capable for the otherworldly place we were about to go to... I'll continue the story in my next post as I've run out of photo uploads on this one. Cheers for tuning in!

Last edited:
I guess thats why you never see Jeeps in company fleets

So, now we've established how I came to own Linda. I'll explain where I went next, and how that began to influence the modification of the 78 into what it is today.

My next project was a 25 kilometre long wind farm project stretching throughout the rugged and steep hills near Silverton, NSW. This is the area where the Mad Max films were shot, think of an apocalyptic vision of Mars, with lashings of history and relic, pockmarked by open mine shafts from the 1850's silver boom. Some type of exotic long-haired goat that was rounded up by helicopter twice a year and shipped to Arabia was the only thing of value left here for some time, the land unfenced or cared for until the daily wind rising off of the hotplate of the Mundy Mundy plains was prospected and put forward for a power plant development. Most of our access roads were cleared by bulldozer first and then handed over to us to shred our tyres on. The grade on many of the hills was between 25 and 40%, and my bulldozer friend wasn't going to be the one to roll down the hill sidewise, so most of these roads were straight up and straight down, no switchbacks.

Desolation in the Outback.
IMG_7940.JPG

Hill 3, one of the worst for claiming rubber and definitely the hottest.
IMG_7991.JPG

I got to work, and began to go through tyres pretty quickly. The good thing was that I could get them really cheap second-hand in town due to all the mining work in Broken Hill, the bad thing was that I was losing a few hours a week to blow-outs and I didn't have those hours to lose. So, I rang around and eventually found a NOS set of five 105 series steel rims in 16x8 0 offset, and had them set up with the tried and true BFG KO2 ATs in 285/75/R16. I still have the same set running now, nearly a year and a half later, with at least 40,000 kilometres on them and a very rough start to their lives, having been worked hard for the remainder of the project.

Linda and her new shoes, on the road to the Broken Hill Miners' Memorial. Interestingly, Broken Hill Proprietary and these buildings behind me became BHP, the world's largest mining company. There are probably close to a thousand men remembered at that memorial.
BrokenHill2.JPG

Sightseeing with dubious access permissions amongst some of Broken Hill's older process buildings.
IMG_0883.JPG

I also fitted; a second hand Long Ranger sub tank, taking my capacity out to 270 litres in total, an 80 GME UHF radio to enable better comms with the work teams, a simple overhead console to keep the cab clutter down, and picked up a 40 litre Engle fridge to keep the lunches cool.

The rear set up at this point was dominated by a large galvanised tool box and various crates, so the next thing on the agenda was sorting out a more useful and accessible rear space. To be continued...

Last edited:
So Linda developed a little shudder between 95 and 105kmh. I was away for 4 weeks recently and she sat on hot pavement a bit so I figure it's the tyres. I've checked all the pressures and one was down by 5psi, so I've levelled them all. I also have a new steering dampener from EFS so I fit that the other day as the old RipePro one was looking like crap, though it seems to function just fine, I'll hang on to it for now as a precaution.

Here's the old one looking rusty.
Dampner Old.JPG

A comparison, the EFS is a bit less robust but it's suitable for a 2" lift so I'll run it for now.
Dampner New Vs Old.JPG

And the new one happily in its place.
Dampner New.JPG

Hopefully that takes care of it, I've got a little shakedown trip this weekend so I'll report back.

Last edited:
Also, today I made a little hand pump water jerry. I have been using a 20L jerry in the rear passenger side for a while now, and I'm constantly pulling the thing out to pour some water for something or other. I used a push/pull hand pump faucet for a caravan/boat, a few hundred mm of 13mm vinyl tubing, a stainless hose clamp, and an extra cap for the jerry can.

The parts needed.
Water Jerry Pump (1).JPG

30mm hole cut out with a step drill bit and a bit of sanding to get a nice fit on the threaded section of the pump.
Water Jerry Pump (3).JPG

Here's the whole thing assembled. The locking nut that screws on up underneath the cap. It took a little bit of shaping to get it to fit inside the cap, only had to remove a few mm all the way round with a file and sand it smooth.
Water Jerry Pump (9).JPG

Proof of concept!
Water Jerry Pump (10).JPG

And it's snug home at the back of the Troopy. Note the extra cap tied to the jerry for a leak free seal when not in camp. You can also twist the faucet back and forth to get a nice angle towards you.
Water Jerry Pump (11).JPG

Might fit a metre or two of hose to the faucet end with a solar shower head for post-surf wash downs at a later date. Hope there's enough info here for anyone who wants to make their own!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Subscribed and looking forward to following along.

It's been a while. Lot's has happened between now and then but I've still got Linda and I am currently preparing her for a pretty feral trip North for the winter season. The plan is basically work where I can, sleep in the troopy, and to fish and surf as much as possible while seeing a new part of the country.

Since the last updates Linda has gained a few things; a 1500mm drifta drawer set, drop down tailgate table and cutting board, TroopySetups full length rear shelf, Strongarm rear bar and tyre carrier, Safari ARMAX snorkel, Manta 3" straight thru exhaust, PDI radiator bash plate, better speakers, and a few other minor improvements.

Next week she's getting better front dash speakers (kicker 4" 150w), and a set of Fyrlyt halogen spotlights (the old Lightforces eventually gave up and I want to stay with halogen for the extra light spectrum output over LED... need red light to see roos!)

I'll replace the front diff centre soon as well, picked up a reasonably new (150k km) centre from a 79 series to swap in as the old one was damaged on a particularly notorious track down these ways. The whole front end will be pretty much fresh once this is done as I have new axels, bearings, seals etc etc in there ready for the new centre. I know that sounds kinda backwards but it's due to a mechanic not doing as asked when I originally hurt the front diff. I was away at work so he was asked to diagnose and fix it so I had 4wd again, but without contacting me he just fit new axels and then told me on pickup that 4wd still didn't work. I'm really really hoping he didn't damage the new axles in the process of not doing his job haha. Any thoughts on that are welcome, I've not swapped a diff before but I'm reasonably confident I can get it sorted.

I'll update with photos as the prep progresses if I find the time. If not, keep your eye's peeled for Linda and I up north if you're around!

Anyone have a good source for instructions on removing the guards? I've got the Haynes online manuals and a physical copy coming to replace my old one, but so far I can only see body info on removing doors, hood etc. nothing on the guards. I've got to drop the passenger one to get access to the retracting radio mast as I have a NOS one to go in. Any help appreciated!

Anyone have a good source for instructions on removing the guards? I've got the Haynes online manuals and a physical copy coming to replace my old one, but so far I can only see body info on removing doors, hood etc. nothing on the guards. I've got to drop the passenger one to get access to the retracting radio mast as I have a NOS one to go in. Any help appreciated!
You can replace antenna without removing fender/wheel well/inner guard. It’s a painful experience though. Small arm/hands is a bonus. This was discussed recently on here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom