Liftgate Eye Gouge Risk - Am I the Only Person to Notice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1994 FJZ80's rear liftgate is right at eye level for myself and my wife. Yes, we are tall folks. Anyone else ever make/find/buy some sort of rubber protector for the edges? Or am I being a bit too paranoid...

Never had it gouge my eye yet. I'm 6'2'' and it always seems to hit me right in the forehead. Haha. As far as a rubber protector, you might try just taking a small gauge rubber hose and cutting a slit it down the middle on one side, then just slide it over the edge. Maybe like a 3/8" or so? I haven't had to do it on mine yet, but I have used old compressed air hoses to provide the same type of protection on 5/16" steel edges and it works perfectly. So same concept. Hope this helps!

I seem to remember a thread that list part numbers for rear hatch struts that lift it higher than stock. May be worth a look

My 1994 FJZ80's rear liftgate is right at eye level for myself and my wife. Yes, we are tall folks. Anyone else ever make/find/buy some sort of rubber protector for the edges? Or am I being a bit too paranoid...

I did the McMaster Carr lift gate cylinder mod on mine because I kept whacking my head on it. I'm 6'-1". Now I have to reach UP to close the gate. It lifts it so high, the rear vent wing touches the roof, just before the point that it binds.

Absolutely worth the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom