LH side rear tire carrier... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I want to move my 31X10.50 GY Mud Terrain spare up to the left hand side on a swingaway carrier so that I can mount a larger fuel tank on my FJ60.

As for as I can ascertain (nice word, eh?), Kaymar is the only company that makes such a carrier that does not require me to buy a rear bumper to go with it. Before I spend a bunch of money and mess with my truck, I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. I am especially interested in how durable the rear mount is on bad to non-existent roads.

Thanks in advance.

Mike S

can't speak to the stand alone tire carrier, but can speak to the rear tow bumper with tire carrier -- it's SWEET! don't know what Kaymar is asking for the carrier only, but if the bumper with carrier isn't too much more, I'd opt for that -- the thing is absolutely bomber and rock solid.....

now if I can only find a front bumper to match the build quality of the rear Kaymar without having to succumb to the full ARB bull bar.......

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I have the Kaymar bumper and swing away...it's welll made, and extremely rugged. No complaints. Only consideration I would suggest is possibly mounting your spare on the right rear versus left rear. It will offset driver weight when your driving empty truck about as a DD. I mounted mine on left side and wish I had gone the other side with it. Might be my imagination, but it looks like a slight lean may be developing on the spare tire side of the truck...and this is with new BDS springs...HTH

Cheers, and keep on Cruising!

Dave

Got a link to this?

I would be very interested in seeing how you mount a swing away spare tire carrier on a 60 series, without mounting it to a bumper..

Thanks!!

-Steve

I'm with poser. I don't think you can mount a swing-a-way on a stock bumper. Unless you have some kind of clamp on contraption.
I have had a Kamar for 5 years now, tire mount on the right. Great set up and the bumper looks good on a 60.
PS: I'm selling my dual pivot Kamar?
devo

I don't know about on the 60s - but quite a few people over in the 80/100 forum have them on their 80s and seem to like them. I think someone posted a pic recently if you do a search - it bolts to the frame around the tow bar mount and you have to cut a hole in the corner plastic piece for the pivot. It uses the same swing carrier as the one you mount to the bumper - so I bet they make one for the 60 as well.

Tucker

Hey Devo,

Are you seriously selling your Kaymar bumper? If so you can package it with the OME springs you are selling me.. I never did hear what you wanted for the OME's ?

AlexD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom