Lexus LX 570 – 2017 vs. 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it worth spending an additional $25k for a 2017 Lexus LX 570 compared to a 2014 model? I want to keep the vehicle for a long time (10 years or more). What are the main differences between the 2017 and 2014 models? Thanks for your help.

17 has updated exterior/interior, 8 speed transmission, bigger brakes and a few other small things. Aftermarket support for the specific 16-21 year range is lower than 08-15/LC's. Basically comes down to personal preference. I spent 10k more on a 2016 rather than the 2014 I was looking at because I liked the interior substantially more.

17 has updated exterior/interior, 8 speed transmission, bigger brakes and a few other small things. Aftermarket support for the specific 16-21 year range is lower than 08-15/LC's. Basically comes down to personal preference. I spent 10k more on a 2016 rather than the 2014 I was looking at because I liked the interior substantially more.
It is good to know that interior is bigger in 2016 and up. How about tech? Thanks!

It is good to know that interior is bigger in 2016 and up. How about tech? Thanks!
I don't know that there is any size difference 2016+. For tech, the radar cruise control works fairly well, birdseye view camera is nice (not sure if this is on pre-16+). Nav screen is bigger and especially wider which looks more modern. Still no apple carplay or android auto. HUD is there. MTS/Crawl control may have different algorithm. Besides looks, the biggest difference is really the transmission and gearing.

@arock didn't mean the interior was substantially larger, but rather liked it substantially more.

If you run a search on here for lx570 model year differences, you'll find a bunch of info:

Yeah, interior dimensions are exactly the same between the 2 if I recall correctly. I personally find the technology (infotainment) to be pretty terrible in any generation LX570. The '15 and earlier models have a touch screen with the resolution of a 90's era gameboy, the 16+'s have a nicer display but no touch screen so you have to do everything with the joystick mouse thingy. 16+'s do have physical a/c controls for most of the functions rather than having to do it through the infotainment display.

It really just comes down to personal preference. I would say to go look at both in person, poke and push all the things in each and make your decision based on that. If you're happy with interior/exterior of a '15 or earlier, save your self a good chunk of change and pick one up. Otherwise you can do like I did and wait for months until a '16+ showed up in my area for the price I was willing to pay.

There are a lot of posts on this very topic lately. A lot of people are trying to figure this out, including me. One of the glaring deficiencies, in my opinion, of the 2013-2015 LX570 is the lack of safety features such as blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. My wife's 2015 Highlander has those features, and that they are present on that car and not the 2015 LX is pretty hard to understand (though I realize 2015 was the last year before a major refresh for the LX). If you're planning to keep the LX for 10 years, you have to consider how you'll feel about not having those safety features in 2033, when all cars will surely have those. I find the safety features of the 2016 LX, and the 8-speed trans, HUD, and updated interior to be big pluses. Numerous owners of the 2016+ have remarked that the joystick controller is not a problem once you slow down the sensitivity and just use it for a week or two. What I can't handle about the 2016 is the Predator grill. To my eye, the 2015 looks like a classic, timeless, rugged SUV. It's just a matter of preference and money.

I have a 2013 and I love it. But I like the 2016 look better, I like the rectangle navigation screen, and you can add beat sonic to it for Apple Carplay and Android auto which seems to be more reliable than GROM. Also, for me, the 2016 seems like the Dissent with bullbar would work on it which is by far my favorite bumper out there. That bumper seems to blend fantastic ground clearance, minimal additional length to car and adding bars on top to help protect from deer and make it look sort of rugged.

I have a 2013 and I love it. But I like the 2016 look better, I like the rectangle navigation screen, and you can add beat sonic to it for Apple Carplay and Android auto which seems to be more reliable than GROM. Also, for me, the 2016 seems like the Dissent with bullbar would work on it which is by far my favorite bumper out there. That bumper seems to blend fantastic ground clearance, minimal additional length to car and adding bars on top to help protect from deer and make it look sort of rugged.
These are really good points. Thanks for your input.

There are a lot of posts on this very topic lately. A lot of people are trying to figure this out, including me. One of the glaring deficiencies, in my opinion, of the 2013-2015 LX570 is the lack of safety features such as blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. My wife's 2015 Highlander has those features, and that they are present on that car and not the 2015 LX is pretty hard to understand (though I realize 2015 was the last year before a major refresh for the LX). If you're planning to keep the LX for 10 years, you have to consider how you'll feel about not having those safety features in 2033, when all cars will surely have those. I find the safety features of the 2016 LX, and the 8-speed trans, HUD, and updated interior to be big pluses. Numerous owners of the 2016+ have remarked that the joystick controller is not a problem once you slow down the sensitivity and just use it for a week or two. What I can't handle about the 2016 is the Predator grill. To my eye, the 2015 looks like a classic, timeless, rugged SUV. It's just a matter of preference and money.
These are really good points. Thanks for your input.

Yeah, interior dimensions are exactly the same between the 2 if I recall correctly. I personally find the technology (infotainment) to be pretty terrible in any generation LX570. The '15 and earlier models have a touch screen with the resolution of a 90's era gameboy, the 16+'s have a nicer display but no touch screen so you have to do everything with the joystick mouse thingy. 16+'s do have physical a/c controls for most of the functions rather than having to do it through the infotainment display.

It really just comes down to personal preference. I would say to go look at both in person, poke and push all the things in each and make your decision based on that. If you're happy with interior/exterior of a '15 or earlier, save your self a good chunk of change and pick one up. Otherwise you can do like I did and wait for months until a '16+ showed up in my area for the price I was willing to pay.
Thanks!

The transmission is really the only major mechanical difference. Drive one of each and decide whether you like the 6-speed or the 8-speed. Opinions on the matter are not unanimous, but the 8-speed does seem to be better suited to larger tires and/or towing. I personally have had no qualms with my 6-speed and 35's, but that's coming from an 80 series with half the power lol. I'm not up-to-date on the electronics/features differences, and that stuff doesn't tend to sway me much because all lexusesez are in the stone age compared to other makes when it comes to infotainment.

Subjectively, the looks of the 16+ are WAYYYYY more attractive inside and out. More angular design really helps to diminish the "bloated whale" aesthetic of the earlier LX570's. That's just this guy's $.02 :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom