Let’s talk base model 9 speaker LX570 stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2008 LX, I love it, but to my surprise it has a base model, 9 speaker entertainment system. I’ve read all the threads on here raving about the mark levinson system, comparing the ML to the JBL system of the lc200, and reviewed a couple threads on speaker and amp replacement for the ML system. What I haven’t found is much info on the 9 speaker base LX stereo.

Differences I’ve noted:
-the sub isn’t there and in its place I have a nice big cubby for storage.
-there still looks to be locations where the ML system would have had speakers, producing parts is expensive so why produce 2 different pieces when one suffices
-all research leads to retrofitting would be a nightmare

With that said, I’m not an audiophile, but I like my music. Most of my listening will be via wireless carplay with the grom vlite, but I’m curious if any of the experts on here think there are certain speakers worth adding, possibly an amp, maybe a sub with factory brackets? Interested in everyone’s thoughts, I’d imagine things have made decent progress since 2008 when my LX was built.

Unless the factory amp or speakers are defective, give them a chance for a while before you make changes. The limiting factor in your use may be the quality of the highly compressed music you get streaming. Add in the relatively noisy (compared to a living room) environment of a vehicle and the time/expense of upgrades may be iffy. Here are the basic specs.

“The standard audio system is Lexus Premium Audio, which includes digital AM/FM tuner with auto-reverse cassette; in-dash 6CD changer to support MP3 and other digital files; MP3/iPod input plug; digital sound processing (DSP) with seven-channel, 312-watt output; nine speakers; and automatic sound leveling. “

Honestly I don't think you are missing much. I have the ML Reference system in my Lexus and main word I use to describe it is underwhelming.

If I was buying a new Lexus and the ML reference was an option, I would def. skip it.

Honestly I don't think you are missing much. I have the ML Reference system in my Lexus and main word I use to describe it is underwhelming.

If I was buying a new Lexus and the ML reference was an option, I would def. skip it.
Agreed. The ML system is ok, at best.

I had a 2011 Lexus LS460 years ago, where the ML system was awesome. What I have in my 2019 LX, is a far cry from what I had in my LS.

I have been thinking about ways to improve the system in the LX, but would cost a small fortune.

What I found about the up-level modern factory surround audio system is that you need QUALITY source to get great sound. XM or old songs or poorly transferred music from old CD suck donkey balls. If possible, listen to Apple Music or Spotify from a good song. I use Apple Music...so any song that is made for Spatial Audio or "Digital Master" label will sound great. Spatial Audio does NOT work in our cars but it means that the song is high quality because Apple has paid attention to it.

And you need to leave the TREBLE, MIDS, and BASS settings alone...aka leave them at zero (default). If you're gonna adjust, just do +1 or -1 from default. The system (ML and JBL) are adjusted from factory based on reference sound. Adjusting it far from default is just making sound (much) worst. Remember, these high-end factory systems are calibrated to a reference sound signature determined by Toyota and Harman Kardon (who owns JBL and ML among others).

And you need to understand that these ML / JBL system is surround but is actually not surround. :D The surround architecture is NOT so that you can have surround sound (like movie theater)...but rather the system is design so that EVERY seat in the car gets similar sound quality and sound stage...basically, sound coming from front of you at a center point just like if you sit at a concert and watching Taylor Swift (which I know is an idol in this forum) perform on stage. Whether you sit to the right or left of the stage, you are hearing her sing from one point.

Last edited:
Considering the 9 speaker doesn’t have a sub, I’m curious if it is worth exploring the OEM rear box retrofit with an aftermarket sub/amp, or money would be better spent on under seat options. I don’t want to lose cargo space and am not concerned about shaking the windows, but there do seem to be some solutions out there.

I did read through This thread and it seems like a .77sqft box which is an obvious easy fit into an LX.

Considering the 9 speaker doesn’t have a sub, I’m curious if it is worth exploring the OEM rear box retrofit with an aftermarket sub/amp, or money would be better spent on under seat options. I don’t want to lose cargo space and am not concerned about shaking the windows, but there do seem to be some solutions out there.

I did read through This thread and it seems like a .77sqft box which is an obvious easy fit into an LX.
A dedicated subwoofer can improve very low frequency sound, but unless you listen to movie soundtracks or music that needs those frequencies to sound good, the other speakers in the system may do fine. What are the other speakers in the 9 speaker system and what are their frequency response range? A good 6 1/2” driver can go very low and it looks like the factory amp has the oomph. In fact, there may already be component speakers in the system with separate tweeters and woofers that reproduce all frequencies. Also, since the factory system has a sound processor, it’s entirely possible it attenuates the signal to match the factory speakers and the very low frequencies for a sub may not be output anyway. Bottom line is that simply adding a sub without considering the whole system might not help the sound. As @Madtiger and I pointed out, it could be best to put the time/money/thought into feeding the system a really good signal.

It’s certainly a challenge to get more technical specs on the base sound system outside of the info posted above

digital sound processing (DSP) with seven-channel, 312-watt output; nine speakers; and automatic sound leveling.

It seems most of the sales material I can find in press releases and brochure’s talk to the features and advantages of the Mark Levinson system. Clearly it worked as most opted for that system over the Lexus Premium Audio version. Dimensionally I have to imagine the two systems aren’t wildly different as the mounting positions all look very similar. It seems the ML broke out the functionality to multiple speakers at the 8 standard locations and added the subwoofer (see below).

IMG_3712.jpeg

What I found about the up-level modern factory surround audio system is that you need QUALITY source to get great sound. XM or old songs or poorly transferred music from old CD suck donkey balls. If possible, listen to Apple Music or Spotify from a good song.
Meh, that stuff was not around in 2013 when my LX was built and I have a tough time believing the ML system was built for future quality. It has a CD player so it seems that is quality they were going for.

The system is underwhelming at best. Total waste of money to actually pay extra for it over the standard JBL.

Meh, that stuff was not around in 2013 when my LX was built and I have a tough time believing the ML system was built for future quality. It has a CD player so it seems that is quality they were going for.

The system is underwhelming at best. Total waste of money to actually pay extra for it over the standard JBL.
If you're comparing ML to JBL in LC, then I kinda agree...ML is not that much better than JBL in LC.

It is not about future proofing, but these surround system requires a good source of music. A CD should sound just as good as Apple Music if that CD is original and has good recorded songs.

I got my CarPlay setup in via grom vlite, I was hoping I’d be fine with the results but AB’ing the same audio stream between this 9 speaker setup and my prior Honda element was pretty underwhelming, there is so many highs and so little low end. The OEM Honda element isn’t anything to write home about but I’m clearly going to have to do some research on eq’ing on the factory head unit, or supplementing some of the speakers.

I have a 19 LXwith the base sound system. To me it sounds fine. Often, I spend more time on the phone talking (work). I get so tired of hearing my own voice, I may drive for quite some time before I even notice there is no music!

I don’t have a reference point for ML versus my base stereo, but I don’t think I miss it. I didn’t buy it for the tunes. I wanted it for reliability, comfort and strength over the long haul. It’s a keeper in my stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom