Let's talk about axes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is everyone using?

I'm looking to replace a multi use tool I had. It was the Zippo 4 in 1 woodsman
http://amzn.to/2jFljKx

They seem to be pretty close in reviews. I'm mostly using them to help build fires. Make kindling, split firewood into smaller pieces. Haven't had to chop any trees down or anything.

Any experience with these?
I've been eyeing these 2.
http://amzn.to/2fgLyW2

and

http://amzn.to/2wC2Rnj

As I was just posting I just realized Husqvarna has a composite version too.
http://amzn.to/2xLBoV6

Would I also need a hatchet or are these multi purpose enough you think?
They are slightly longer but should be better at splitting some of the logs when building a fire. That was the main issue I was having with my zippo axe.

as for hatchets I was considering also a fiskar or husqvarna

Last edited:
I am total traditionalist, but someone gave me a Friskars composite ax, and that thing is a game changer/better mouse trap. I have all kinds of high dollar axes and mauls, but the Friskars is the one I reach for.

I am total traditionalist, but someone gave me a Friskars composite ax, and that thing is a game changer/better mouse trap. I have all kinds of high dollar axes and mauls, but the Friskars is the one I reach for.

I couldn't keep one sharp. Seemed like the metal was too soft. I returned it and got a replacement and the head broke off about half way through a 8" trunk. Apparently they have around a 15-20% lemon factor.

I couldn't keep one sharp. Seemed like the metal was too soft. I returned it and got a replacement and the head broke off about half way through a 8" trunk. Apparently they have around a 15-20% lemon factor.

I think I saw something about the metal being softer or something. I'll look into the baileys, what is it that you like about them?

I've got the Husqvarna 19" carpenters axe and while it isn't for chopping it does a pretty decent job for its size. Its Swedish steel made by Hults Bruks and rebranded as Husqvarna, obviously for cheaper than what those go for. It really surprised me how nice it is for cheap but you have to put in some time to regrind it since they do a terrible job at the factory. Then after that just carry a Lansky puck and you're good to go when you need to sharpen it. My vote is a real axe not one of those tacticool composites

I think I saw something about the metal being softer or something. I'll look into the baileys, what is it that you like about them?

Nice balance, but a slightly heavier head. The head bevel is not a straight flat wedge like these newer designs. It's more of the old style flared/sweep bevel. I think mine are 1- Woodland and 2-Bailey's. 4 or 5# heads.

I'm a bigger guy 6-3 and 260# and can swing some weight. But I can run a long time on one sharpening.

J

I've got the Husqvarna 19" carpenters axe and while it isn't for chopping it does a pretty decent job for its size. Its Swedish steel made by Hults Bruks and rebranded as Husqvarna, obviously for cheaper than what those go for. It really surprised me how nice it is for cheap but you have to put in some time to regrind it since they do a terrible job at the factory. Then after that just carry a Lansky puck and you're good to go when you need to sharpen it. My vote is a real axe not one of those tacticool composites

Hults are a great axe. Hold a good edge. They make a few non-contemporary designs as well.

J

I have the Fiskars x15 you posted, as well as the matching hatchet in the next post. Compared to the Estwing axe and generic Cambodian Tire hatchet i used before, they are incredible and worth every penny.

I take a 14" Chainsaw (echo 320 - Japanese Quality older than me) and Fiskars X27. I look for a leaning dead tree (not on ground) and can make enough firewood for a Campground in short time. I burn any type of wood for an outside fire, and really like Pine.

Fiskars X15 all the way.
I used mine for the first time on vacation last month splitting up some logs, and first swing every time they split perfectly.
I have used traditional axes in the past, this new one blew them away.
I read reviews on it, watched YouTube vids, and that is what convinced me to buy it via Amazon.

20.jpg

I like the hand forged Swedish axes...several good makers out there. I have a couple small hatchets that have a smoothed and rounded over polls for flaying the skin off game and then a couple bigger double bit axes for heavier work. No big felling axes though.

Here is my little arsenal...the top two, working axes, great for limbing and chopping. The bottom, my camp axe. The middle a Hudson Bay axe, my favorite since I was a kid...

IMG_20170919_121259195.jpg

Reactions: RFB
If you can find an "old" Norlund or Collins head and re-handle it... I'd go that route. Great forged steel heads.

I've got a couple of Collins axe heads, work just fine. I think a lot of the younger guys just like the new fancy looking stuff. You can find a good axe or hatchet for cheap at estate sales, flea markets, etc., but I like wood handles on all my stuff.

Fiskars X15 all the way.
I used mine for the first time on vacation last month splitting up some logs, and first swing every time they split perfectly.
I have used traditional axes in the past, this new one blew them away.
I read reviews on it, watched YouTube vids, and that is what convinced me to buy it via Amazon.

20.jpg

Looks like its new, must have been the original poser shot..

Looks like its new, must have been the original poser shot..
Yep, it was about one day old, had just put it in the rig.
I have had a lot of axes in my 60 years.
An old one that was my dads from the 50s, newer wood handled ones, but I like the feel and swing of this Fiskars one better than any axe I have ever used.
It put a smile on my face splitting up wood at the campsite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom