Lets see some pics of your FJ Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reworking some behind-the-dash wiring. . .so glad we have the gat box to make things easier to get to in there.
DashRewire.JPG

Re installed the awning and relocated the RTT a little further back. The low profile roof rack is a blessing and a curse - so hard to reach hardware mounts for all these accessories. Had to fabricate some 1" spacers to move the awning away from the lower lip of the RTT. In the end, it's pretty tidy and will work for the trips we have planned this summer.

RoofRack (1).JPG

RoofRack (2).JPG

RoofRack (3).JPG

I think I'm going to ditch the air dam and remount my solar panel up front. It will probably look funny, but I cannot figure out how to attach the panel to the RTT without punching holes in the ABS shell.

RoofRack (4).JPG

Not wanting to be a worry wart ... but the simple fact 25% to 35% of the panel is not seeing sun. And depending on how the cells are wired your voltage out may suffer considerably, even to the point you can't charge a 12v battery. An MPPT charger might help, but even they have a minimum input voltage spec. But that location is just begging for issues down the road.

Yeah it's not charging at all and I do have a MPPT controller. Will play around with the air dam and position this weekend.

[edit] The weird thing is that it was showing 1.8A when I first plugged it in the other evening, but since then it's 0.0 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah it's not charging at all and I do have a MPPT controller. Will play around with the air dam and position this weekend.

[edit] The weird thing is that it was showing 1.8A when I first plugged it in the other evening, but since then it's 0.0 🤷‍♂️

Have you considered heavy duty velcro @BMThiker ? 3M makes some serious stuff and you can attach it to the roof top tent, without breaching the hull. Attach it when you need it, store it when you don't. You run this stuff around the outside edges and you could probably leave it in place full-time. Just do some quick disconnects and your cooking with solar. :cool:

How is it with no sway bar ?

I don’t have sway bars front or rear and I’ve been like this for over a year. Super Flexi. I think it’s fine but my friends don’t like to ride with me. I used to have a ton of body roll but the kings really helped out with that. Removing the front didn’t make that much of a difference but the rear really really made a big difference. But I also haven’t gone three wheels on a trail since I remove the rear.

Have you considered heavy duty velcro @BMThiker ? 3M makes some serious stuff and you can attach it to the roof top tent, without breaching the hull. Attach it when you need it, store it when you don't. You run this stuff around the outside edges and you could probably leave it in place full-time. Just do some quick disconnects and your cooking with solar. :cool:

I was able to relocate the RTT further back to accommodate the PV panel. Been testing it out the last week or so and wind noise is negligible. Next step will be to increase the angle to reduce noise even more and provide an optimal angle for charging. This picture was from 2 weekends ago and I have moved crossbars and panel even further forward and lower since then. I'll snap another pic today to show the current situ.
Roofrack (9).JPG

Rather mount the Solar (PV) panel on to the RTT closest to the pivot point hinge so its not heavy to lift.

We each have 2 x 110W panels mounted to top of RTT (make sure you use O-Rings and silicon sealer on all bolts)

TH49R5bvt8cBIsJ0jQHiHT6IMA_zY5QrJKnUkiu9DcGbf60jCMfYUUPAdG2PUhBUn4qk-P2Odx0ens4xO6V7ybH6WuMbG0mfCPVmUgSKXA7fkLsf0HY3ZbRS3r7wRWizD0hKegJfOkeoWQ4Dmd8j0Nrt9mlEoMtH037IkqzDF9Ay1I1_7E_rqV0FbKuPSMkLe_JE4_eh3AhqMn4CAhU6bZ3TL4RFmCVNQTYZm3ZpG7F9mJ0IBCIXS6rdOKzS6hUoxOrXa-zpvY5F5Rm35YX1q0oXnmCSjwxzaeZe7NKr0-FPoe_xsaG4dgzJ3ncdNkXnZH3U7VEah9YpLE-8S-ZOzkyKUNfNjWH7vRopZue9sSRtPIVHhMmKrHdEk1sAl40pYrKU0EZ8kqSajM2-04VuBuKDrPgvqoaBxuUJK2SY4p1A_ZpZ61Jo2fYjZcpX5x8HNXpUWPcgToFUv1whJzIA4BttixluBYrB6EYPtOmiCukN9Exje7TOVdTHB_gX_CqFfFISJ5OweF81ymtwTsyrgkBp2k7vpxCXn-Co2B0afXzRdKIo90wxV9jMWm0NHrYyBZVLM3qbSIBeZl0i7feUfnfIUzbyp2jZfVOsN4RGkoru5Umxl4Adm1gk-shB2EjhBeNSfKko9vUvLgkwjihMuqZAG3PflJKch1Vm8mfO8SjaXdoHwC2qUzE_Be96DQ=w1086-h724-no

View attachment 2356306
The latest pic.
I haven't done much to it lately. Replaced the roof rack, and the clutch to get rid of the TOB squeal (it's gone).
I plan on installing the Ironman Foam cell Pro suspension once I wear out the 33's and swap to 35's (I'll regear at the same time).
i like how the 2010 trail teams with a 6MT is supposed to be the second rarest combos for the FJC available but i seem em on the internet all the time. i remeber when mine was that nice and clean ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom