Let's laugh! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Woah!

Two comments I really enjoyed:
"If I had the time and money to do this, I'd do something else"
"Let me get this straight, the entire truck is covered in bedliner, except the bed?"

View attachment 2350973

Ruined by a drop bracket lift, useless.

Not easily but still it can be toned down, I really am not a fan of those lifts not much ground clearance and you cut the frame. Unless your doing a solid axle swap just seems pointless to me
The entire build is pointless lol

106305086_4063741870366643_4517298417479756924_n.jpg

How do you clean out mud from this thing? What about leaves?

They really stole from the FJ at first glance. Headlights on the outer part and marker on the inside.

That is an early artists rendering. Here is the real deal. I'm so getting one! First time I ever actually wanted a new car!

View attachment 2373138

I’m not going to lie. I generally steer clear of American cars like the plague but on paper this really looks well executed. I mentioned on the chit chat thread that this is the first time in recent memory I haven’t been let down by a highly anticipated release. Gladiator, BRZ, Blazer, FJ Cruiser, etc. all were so disappointing. I’m still going to give them 2-3 years to work the bugs out. Plus these things are going to be selling over MSRP until the pent up demand is met. I also want to see some details on fuel economy BUT if that box gets checked positively as well it’s going to be hard to say no...

I’m not going to lie. I generally steer clear of American cars like the plague but on paper this really looks well executed. I mentioned on the chit chat thread that this is the first time in recent memory I haven’t been let down by a highly anticipated release. Gladiator, BRZ, Blazer, FJ Cruiser, etc. all were so disappointing. I’m still going to give them 2-3 years to work the bugs out. Plus these things are going to be selling over MSRP until the pent up demand is met. I also want to see some details on fuel economy BUT if that box gets checked positively as well it’s going to be hard to say no...

It has the manual you want

I've owned Ford, and Chevy cars/trucks. As good as this looks I still don't think American vehicles are made as well as Japanese. My bad experiences over 20 years of American vehicle ownership and constant repairs just left a bad taste in my mouth and dent in my wallet. I'm a Toyota fan for life. Maybe this will spur Toyota to give us a new FJ?

It has the manual you want

Yes, Yes it does - and more importantly this means there will be a manual SUV option on the used-vehicle market where I lurk for another decade or so. These days I am WAYYYY to stingy to buy one of these things new. More importantly, it's a pretty wild transmission - a Granny gear PLUS two overdrive gears, and a crawl ration at like 94:1 or something from the factory? Should be both relatively fuel efficient and decent offroad, as long as Getrag didn't make it fragile. I'm not sure I understand the two overdrive gears (Chevy did the same thing in the vette) I'd be just as happy with a 6 speed with Granny first, a low enough 2nd that I can skip the granny at a stop light, a 1:1 5th gear and a lonnnnggg 6th gear for highway cruising. Not sure what the 7th gear gains you, but it is different!

I've owned Ford, and Chevy cars/trucks. As good as this looks I still don't think American vehicles are made as well as Japanese. My bad experiences over 20 years of American vehicle ownership and constant repairs just left a bad taste in my mouth and dent in my wallet. I'm a Toyota fan for life. Maybe this will spur Toyota to give us a new FJ?

Generally speaking, I'm with you. I watched my dad suffer through an 89 Chevy Corsica (worst car ever), a 2004 Oldsmobile Shilouette and a 2008 Chevy Impala with V6's that ate head gaskets every 30-40,000 miles like clockwork before he finally gave up on GM and switched to Ford. He also had a 1989 Plymouth Cold DL which was probably the most reliable car he had (totalled at 120,000mi) - but that was a re-badged Mitsubishi. Now, the entire family is mostly Ford/Mazda. My experience with Ford has been MOSTLY good so far.

My 09 Mazda 3 is, essentially, a Ford Focus, and has been virtually bomb-proof. At 147,000 Miles the AC finally failed and the MAF sensor gave up. Otherwise it has just been general maintenance. My dad has a Ford Fusion hybrid that has needed nothing in about 80,000mi so far, and my brother has a 6cyl F150 that has been great for 50,000mi so far. HOWEVER, I had a Ford Escape as a company car, and the electronics were buggy to say the least. The power steering also failed at about 36,000 miles. My mom has a Ford Escape that has been an absolute dumpster fire from the second it left the warranty period - in the shop every 10,000 miles since 30,000 miles for random shutdowns and "overheat" warnings (it's not overheating) ever since. Nobody can figure out why. My aunt and my grandmother both have Escapes as well, and they've been very reliable. It seems like with most American cars it's a crap shoot - you get a lemon or you get a car that will go 200,000 miles with very little in between. I currently have a Chevy Equinox company car, I have less than 5000mi on it but so far I have to say I'm impressed. Aside from being a soulless automatic that's as fun to drive as a washing machine, it feels planted and well built. Time will tell.

On the Mazda side, the family has my 2009 3 (Ford-era), a 2014 Mazda 6 (post-Ford) that has been good aside from a premature ignition coil failure, a CX-5 that has been bomb proof, and a CX-9 that is brand new, but, for a yacht, handles great and feels way more expensive than it was.

Based on our collective experiences with Ford, I'd give the Bronco a shot. If it was a Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat product or a GM I'd have to think long and hard.

That said, since I won't be buying one until they're nice and broken in, this gives Toyota 5-6 years to change my mind. Based on what I've seen from Toyota in recent years though, I feel like their heart just really isn't in it. They can peddle Corollas, Tacomas, and 4Runners and hit their profit margins forever without issue based on reputation alone. Nothing they're doing is really pushing the envelope - and other companies are finally starting to catch up. Apparently there's a huge (and long overdue) lineup refresh coming from Toyota over the next 3 years but so far everything is rumor and speculation. I would LOVE to see a (not botched) FJ revival or even a removable top 4Runner with some offroady features added in like the Gen 1. All the pieces are there, across Toyota's lineup, to make a REALLY nice 4WD but they're scattered across a half dozen platforms.

The manual has a granny gear. It also comes with front and rear lockers.

^^^ This is exactly what I mean. It's like Ford actually did some market research before designing the Bronco and said "what makes a good offroader from the factory" and then went and did those things. Time will tell if they're reliable, but on paper, I really can't be mad - seems like you get a really solid and capable truck for the money. It seems like you get a LOT more for your money in the Bronco than a similarly priced Jeep. To get some of the features you get by default in a bronco, you have to pony up $50k for a Rubicon to get in a Wrangler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom