Lets be honest here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60, 80, 100 series does not have a removeable top, 100 series does not have an inline engine, FJ40 did not have front/rear lockers or coil sprung suspension, 80 and 100 series did not have a bezel, 100 series does not have solid front axle, no US LC has had a winch for decades, FJ Cruiser probably does not say Land Cruiser anywhere on it.
FJ cruiser will likely have a coil sprung solid rear axle, rear locker, the GPS thing was a concept thing, don't expect it except maybe as a option.
Gumby is probably right about where the FJ can go if it is as speculated, based on shorter wheelbase Taco drivetrain, w/short front/rear overhangs, and rear locker. Look at how capable Tacos are, make it a short wheelbase w/short overhangs and they are very capable.

Edit: Sorry it's my lot in life to defend this thing until I see it, keeping hope alive that it will be as imagine it. Plus where else can chat be counted as tech and add to my post count! :)

Last edited:
concretejungle said:
But Gumby, there is no way you could say that out of the box the FJ will go places a locked rubicon will go.

Edit: all this is based on magazine articles and pictures i have seen. Things could change if i actually get to touch one and see it first hand.

Like I said, 4 wheeler and Petersons both said the 4runner beat the Rubi. That's with longer overhangs, longer wheelbase and without lockers like the FJ might have. Granted they did that with lots of traction control electrics the FJ probably won't have.

I've wheeled with Rubis and 4Runners. There is no question which I'd rather have. If all the FJ is is a short wheel base 3rd gen 4runner, I'd be OK with that.

If VW would drop the price of the diesel Toureg this conversation would be over. 538 ft lbs of torque! my modded Cummins's make more, but the trucks are huge.

if they weren't so fugly, maybe...the jeep rubicon may BE gay, but it least it doesn't LOOk gay.

Gumby said:
Like I said, 4 wheeler and Petersons both said the 4runner beat the Rubi. That's with longer overhangs, longer wheelbase and without lockers like the FJ might have. Granted they did that with lots of traction control electrics the FJ probably won't have.

I've wheeled with Rubis and 4Runners. There is no question which I'd rather have. If all the FJ is is a short wheel base 3rd gen 4runner, I'd be OK with that.

But the rags don't test "off-road capability" anymore - it's only a small portion of the points awarded. They aware more for on-road ride and drive than anything else. There's also no way to compare a $55K Lexus with a Wrangler priced 1/2 as much when comparing on road feel.

The rags sold out years ago - to take their word that the Lexus is a better wheeler than the Rubicon is short sited and blinded by brand loyalty. DC stepped up and offered a true off-road capable vehicle - three of them actually. Toyota put a Honda Element body on a 4Runner chassis and calls it "off road capable"... LOL.

Toyota sold out a long time ago. They are simply trying to capitalize on the FJ name sake to make $$.

I honestly thought that a lot of the Cruiser Die-hards here would be more PO'd. I personally can't stand 40's, and I'm pissed about this...

bkg said:
Toyota sold out a long time ago. They are simply trying to capitalize on the FJ name sake to make $$.

toyota did not sell out, they are in the business of making money. 25 years ago they made it with the FJ40, not they will make it with the FJC.
they give the market what the market demands, and the market is not the 1000 blokes hanging out on IH8mud.
take the FJC, lift it, put a winch on it, it will probably wheel great.
heck, think of all the mods and money people have in their 40s, 60s and 80s. no one complains if a truck with a 350, sliders, lockers, winch, SOA, longfields, hi steer and full cage is called a toyota, although it has nothing to do with stock.

sjpitts said:
Which vehicle would you rather have -- this FJ "Cruiser" or a new Rubicon Wrangler? Or better yet, a Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited?

The rubicon has a straight six, solid axles (D44's), locking diffs, removable top and a manual transmission.

What exactly does this FJ thing have?

And which would be closer to a real "FJ"?

Lets face facts. Toyota has abandoned us. They no longer sell vehicles in the US that meet our needs. Maybe it is time to move on.

I know toyota builds quality vehicles, but I think some of you guys would try and wheel a corolla if toyota put a winch on the front and called it a cruiser.

Jared

/I can't believe this thing has its own forum

Someone is taking this very, very seriously...

Aseif007 said:
Those magazines are full of s***. Do you really believe that the fully locked, coil sprung 4:1 reduced low range would loose to IFS front, no front locker, and no low low range?? Think about what you are saying.
Actually yes. If you look closely at their test they aren't that off the wall as you might think. I have a 40, locked front and rear, sprung-over, SM420 tranny, etc. Yet it sucks on the highway, no more so than other 40's I'm sure, but it's not 'nice'. I would gladly give up some 4x4 ability to have some nice road mannors, a quiet vehicle, more power, etc. The point here is that for a normal person, hell even for a bigtime wheeler dude, on-road mannors and nice things DO matter. If not then all of us who love to wheel would be driving buggies on the street, but it's not practical, we want a compromise vehicle with enough luxury to be nice and comfortable, but enough wheeling ability to handle what we want to throw at it.

I agree the 80-series fits that bill quite nicely, but so does the Tacoma, even some 100's fit that bill. I see the FJ-Cruiser as fitting this bill also, no matter what you think of the design the drivetrain is proven, a good power-to-weight ratio (way, WAY better than any Cruiser ever made!), factory rear locker (only thing better than this was the 2 lockers in the 80-series, other than that this is as good as any Cruiser ever made), 17" rims (very handy as many offroad tires only come for 17" rims now), a spare hanging off the back, so it's not underneath (ever tried to use a spare under-neath while wheeling?), looks like good approach/departure angles (ever ripped a bumper off an 80? A 60/62 is worse for overhang).

So in the world of Cruisers, this is actually pretty good. Would a solid front axle be better? Sure, but be realistic we ain't gonna see anything like that from Toyota in the US, and for good reason, a IFS rides better and takes less maintenance than a solid axle (maintenance intervals are a big selling point for some people).

I'm rather happy with the FJ Cruiser...and those are heaping praise on the heeps...are you mental? A locker and solid axle on a crap vehicle and...it's still a crap vehicle. So if you're ready to jumpship to heep already, then please go, the rest of us who are true Toyota fans won't miss you... :flipoff2:

Aseif007 said:
Yo Gumby,
Those magazines are full of s***. Do you really believe that the fully locked, coil sprung 4:1 reduced low range would loose to IFS front, no front locker, and no low low range?? Think about what you are saying..........

And the 100 series is not even a TRUE cruiser IMHO. How much money did Toyota pay to get that BS printed???? I have a Taco, and stock they are not that impressive. Granted I have a real 4X4 the FZJ and it does fine and I wouldn;t trade it for any mall cruising UZJ-100.

I don't know if you were around the mailing lists back in the early 90s, but people heaped s*** on the 80 series. "It was the worst thing to happen to cruisers ever. How could Toyota do that to the Cruiser name, blah, blah, blah. it's a bubble looking ugly ass POS mall poseur." Didn't really work out that way.

I'm sure there is a place where a Rubicon could do better than my 80, but there is no way it rides better, is more versitile, could stand the abuse, hold it's value, or even out wheel it in even most situations. In fact, as I've said about a dozen times, there is no way a heep is a better rig in any but a very few situations than a 4Runner. If you think that's a bunch of s***, then i don't think you've wheeled with enough 4runners. The FJ is a Runner set up for off road. that's good enough for me.

Something else. computer gadgetry or not, what the magazines said was the traction control did a better job of controlling traction than the lockers. All the stuff they put on the Rubi is impressive, for the 1970s. What I have read is that the modern traction control on the Rovers and the 4Runner makes off roading much easier. How many threads have there been about "when should I be locked up?' I must switch mine off and on a dozen times per mile. I like being able to control it, but I have wrenched long enough to know that computer controls are not always evil. Sometimes they work pretty damn well.

Gumby,

Well I haven't wheeled with traction control so I can;t comment there. When the 80 series came out I had a FJ-62 and I was smart enough to realize what they made was just a more comfortable FJ-62. The axles were sized a little bigger, the frame was a little bigger, and the suspension was smoother with more articulation. I mean it was the same motor tanny and t-case.

AGAIN I am only talking about 4-wheel ability and nothing to do with the ride quality. Like I said, I would rather have a Taco or 4_runner over the Rubicon but I will admit it has its merits off road. I am not really that interested in the traction control, but I'm sure it works well. I know I will accept the traction control some day.........

Man do I see a offroad challenge a 'cummin... :D

It'll be fun, I love it when there are lots of options to wheel with...it's fun to see guys in jxxps hit a obstacle, see where they have problems, then a Taco, then a 40, then say a Disco, then a D-90, then a old truck, etc...fun to watch how they all perform..who makes who look stupid...then everyone wonders why a old lady in a stock Kia just walked up it.. :D

It'll be fun to see what mods people come up with...

:cheers:

Aseif007 said:
Gumby,

AGAIN I am only talking about 4-wheel ability and nothing to do with the ride quality. Like I said, I would rather have a Taco or 4_runner over the Rubicon but I will admit it has its merits off road. I am not really that interested in the traction control, but I'm sure it works well. I know I will accept the traction control some day.........

I watched a rubicon get hung up on an 8" tall rock at Fayne's Ford in Tellico. It was pathetic. All 4 wheels turning, one tire off the ground, not going anywhere. It was otherwise flat and dirt.

A stock 4wd taco would have driven right over, no problems. I know this because I have wheeled a stock 4wd taco.

i am interested in your praise of traction control gumby, i respect your opinion, and have never driven a rig with Traction control. i have also heard from others i respect (in australia) that the landrover traction control in particular, but even the toyota Traction control is no where near locker performance,

with the engine being cut, or wheels being stopped by the brakes in instances like sand and mud, that would have been passable in an unlocked car with a bit of right foot. as i say i respect your info, and it is the first time someone has actually praised a manufacturers traction control offroad, that i have heard.

I took the Land Rover test course area with my GF at the Rover dealer. Traction control was very impressive. My 04 Tacoma in stock form always surprises me where it will go, and al the while in comfort... It is getting a slight mod lift which should yield even better results. I look forward to all of the modern technology in the FJ-Cruiser.

CruisinGA said:
I watched a rubicon get hung up on an 8" tall rock at Fayne's Ford in Tellico. It was pathetic. All 4 wheels turning, one tire off the ground, not going anywhere. It was otherwise flat and dirt.

A stock 4wd taco would have driven right over, no problems. I know this because I have wheeled a stock 4wd taco.

BS... Wrangler a) has more ground clearance than that b) Taco cannot out-wheel a Rubicon, I don't care how much you've smoked....

I'm a toyota loyalist through and through, but let's get our heads out of the sand... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only vehicle I have driven with traction control is the wife's ES300, but I did watch an RX330 a couple of days ago on a fairly steep slightly off-camber hill near my house with a couple of inches of packed snow and I wasn't impressed. When the guy tried to accelerate after going around a car that was stuck, the traction control seemed to first allow some wheelspin, then when it engaged, the RX would corkscrew its way toward the curb. He went through that same excerise several times before finally reaching the top of the hill (approx 100 yards). I followed him up in the 80 and was able to stop and restart with only minimal wheelspin and no sideways movement (all diffs unlocked). Some of his problems were no doubt due to lack of experience, but I think he would have been better off without the traction control.

Bob

FJ in Wall St Journal

There was a pic and article - sorry, no way for me to post here.

Article called it "Macho Lite" and that it's meant to battle smaller Hummer H3, Jeep, Dodge Nitro and Honda Ridgeline.

Based on Korean War truck - a truck Toyota built for US Army during Korean War.

approx. 15 to 21 mpg

I don't think this vehicle replaces anything - and certainly not LAND CRUISER. It just makes a more economical entry point and waaaay better gas mileage. Toyota has to have a competitive product given what the competition is rolling out.

I would grab a 4Runner before this any day - for the daily driver...NEVER giving up my LC - even the local dealership comments on how good my LC has ben for me = LITTLE TO NO REPAIR BILL$! :cheers:

desertdude said:
I took the Land Rover test course area with my GF at the Rover dealer. Traction control was very impressive. My 04 Tacoma in stock form always surprises me where it will go, and al the while in comfort... It is getting a slight mod lift which should yield even better results. I look forward to all of the modern technology in the FJ-Cruiser.

those test courses are sometimes misleading. a guy that held a driver training course sets them up in aust to showcase various types of cars, they really design them to the limits of the vehicles... i.e. obstacles which are suited to the wheelbase of the vehicle being tested are used etc. take the same truck into the real world, and stuff might show the system up. of course the VW people got a bit narky (they were there at the time of the driver training i was undertaking) when showing off the "extreme offroad ability of the toe-rag" and my rusty, beat up sagged out shorty walked through a section in 2wd that was supposed to show off how much further traction control will push a vehicle

Attention all Gay Men:

You too now have a choice. You were once limited in the SUV market to the Isuzu Vehicross, now Toyota introduces the FJ Cruiser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom