Lets be honest here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which vehicle would you rather have -- this FJ "Cruiser" or a new Rubicon Wrangler? Or better yet, a Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited?

The rubicon has a straight six, solid axles (D44's), locking diffs, removable top and a manual transmission.

What exactly does this FJ thing have?

And which would be closer to a real "FJ"?

Lets face facts. Toyota has abandoned us. They no longer sell vehicles in the US that meet our needs. Maybe it is time to move on.

I know toyota builds quality vehicles, but I think some of you guys would try and wheel a corolla if toyota put a winch on the front and called it a cruiser.

Jared

/I can't believe this thing has its own forum

sjpitts said:
I can't believe this thing has its own forum

I can.....

:rolleyes:

sjpitts said:
Which vehicle would you rather have -- this FJ "Cruiser" or a new Rubicon Wrangler? Or better yet, a Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited?

Yeah, I'd much rather have a Jeep. The Rubicon is the greatest rig ever. All of us should switch over. Woody, get all of the Cruiser threads off of here, Jeeps only from now on.

I can't believe it has it's own forum, either. I mean, it's a Toyota 4wd, sure, and has a t-case and a body-on-frame construction. Yeah, I know it comply's with all of the TLCA guidelines for inclusion but there has got to be some way to exclude it. I mean, did you see it? It is not a reproduction of an FJ-40. I mean, really, it's :princess: .

Woody, if you don't exclude the FJ Cruiser from Mud and make a seperate Jeep Rubicon Forum (cause we'd all rather have one), then I will take my business elsewhere.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Look at the FJ as a step in the right direction.
It will hopefully become a benchmark for future Toyota vehicles.

I am personally very excited about the new FJ.

Why must you try and exclude something just because you think it sucks?

Pitts, i'm kinda half and half with you on that. I agree, i think Toyota is getting kicked in the balls by jeep right now, and if the FJ concept is all they have to fight back with, i'm a little worried. I just don't get it. Why don't they listen to the people and look at what has made the land cruiser so popular in the first place!? It seems as if they are just trying to get a piece of that young teeny SUV craze. You know, the kids that don't really know what off-roading is. THey just want an SUV regardless if it even has 4wd. I guess only time will tell how good of a deciscion Mr. T has made.

personaly

i would never own a new jeep. no matter what they put on it. the new fj is being imported from japan, that means MADE IN JAPAN. it will still be more reliable than any jeep made in the u.s.a. SORRY, but the japs know how to build cars.the aisian vehicles are far more superior than anything our lazy butts can.

WTF? Toyota pickups are incredibly capable trail vehicles. They always have been. The new 4 runner and the new Lexus version of it beat the H2 and the Rubicon in all of the major four wheeling rags. They finally build what we have been clamoring for for years and you say they abandoned us? What do you want from them another FJ-40? It ain't gonna happen. They couldn't sell them when they were new, they know they couldn't sell them now. This FJ cruiser is far better than I have ever hoped for and all people can do is bitch about it.

To say Toyota has abandoned us by making a coil sprung, fuel injected body on frame wagon rather than a Wrangler clone says that they abandoned us in 1983. I know a whole lot of 60, 80, and 100 owners that will disagree. In fact, anybody that has a stock 40 that wants to wheel with my mostly stock 80, or for that matter with a stock 4Runner, bring it on and tell me that Toyota has not improved.

>>And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.<< (Jules)

Go Gumby.

Yeah, Toyota doesn't make a move without first consulting the 4000 member (+-) TLCA. :D:D

What they're really targetting is the gay market. Across the country fags are falling all over themselves trying to get a Honda hybrid (whatever it's called). There are threats being made at dealerships in the San Francisco bay area in which queers form lines, like chacha lines, around the outlets and promise dire results to any non gay person who is able to buy one ahead of one of their own. It's an Epidemic - a Fairy cult.

So how does Toyota respond? With a too cute hi style thing called a "Cruiser" playing for instant recognition based on the long time term that gay boys use to describe their trolling for new lovers. They use such manly words to describe it too "Chiseled", "Hard", and the like.

Smart playing Toyota! Looks like it's working.

sjpitts said:

The rubicon has a straight six, solid axles (D44's), locking diffs, removable top and a manual transmission.

What exactly does this FJ thing have?

And which would be closer to a real "FJ"?

Lets face facts. Toyota has abandoned us. They no longer sell vehicles in the US that meet our needs. Maybe it is time to move on.

I know toyota builds quality vehicles, but I think some of you guys would try and wheel a corolla if toyota put a winch on the front and called it a cruiser.

Jared

maybe you should have a look at it and try out the truck before making such a general judgement call. chances are the truck will wheel well and will be a high quality machine.
if you think they should build another FJ40, then you should learn a thing or two about marketing. This is a country where you can drive by 10 80 series cruisers and 40 100 series cruisers with your lifter 70 series cruiser, before one of them recognizes your truck as what it is and waves back.
grocery getters sell, and it is the name Land Cruiser that gives prestige to most people, not the capability of the truck.
get an FJ cruiser, put a locker in the rear, and go compare it to a rubicon, or to a stock FJ40 for that matter. chances are it will kick both other truck's asses.

Gumby said:
WTF? Toyota pickups are incredibly capable trail vehicles. They always have been. The new 4 runner and the new Lexus version of it beat the H2 and the Rubicon in all of the major four wheeling rags. They finally build what we have been clamoring for for years and you say they abandoned us? What do you want from them another FJ-40? It ain't gonna happen. They couldn't sell them when they were new, they know they couldn't sell them now. This FJ cruiser is far better than I have ever hoped for and all people can do is bitch about it.

To say Toyota has abandoned us by making a coil sprung, fuel injected body on frame wagon rather than a Wrangler clone says that they abandoned us in 1983. I know a whole lot of 60, 80, and 100 owners that will disagree. In fact, anybody that has a stock 40 that wants to wheel with my mostly stock 80, or for that matter with a stock 4Runner, bring it on and tell me that Toyota has not improved.

EXACTLY

honk said:
Yeah, Toyota doesn't make a move without first consulting the 4000 member (+-) TLCA. :D:D

What they're really targetting is the gay market. Across the country fags are falling all over themselves trying to get a Honda hybrid (whatever it's called). There are threats being made at dealerships in the San Francisco bay area in which queers form lines, like chacha lines, around the outlets and promise dire results to any non gay person who is able to buy one ahead of one of their own. It's an Epidemic - a Fairy cult.

So how does Toyota respond? With a too cute hi style thing called a "Cruiser" playing for instant recognition based on the long time term that gay boys use to describe their trolling for new lovers. They use such manly words to describe it too "Chiseled", "Hard", and the like.

Smart playing Toyota! Looks like it's working.

So you've ran out of legit reasons not to like it huh?

MoJ said:
So you've ran out of legit reasons not to like it huh?

LOL! I put down deposits for five of them. Watch for them in ebay.

I wish GM would make a brand new Chevy Corvair exactly like the original 2nd gen 1966 model, they were really sweet, and there is a bunch of people who like Corvairs, Chevy is soooo stupid not to make them again 'cuz I like 'em alot and so do thousands of other people! I would totally get the Turbo Corsa model. But GM is so stupid, just like Toyota. Even if they did make one it probably wouldn't even use a air cooled, rear mounted flat 6 engine with piston sleeves instead of a block, like the original! They're so stupid!

You guys are really missing the point.

Toyota makes plenty of landcruisers that can kick the rubicon's ass. They just choose not to sell them to us.

Instead, they have chosen to use the landcruiser name to sell 60 thousand dollar leather clad luxo vehicles. This alone was bad enough. But now they are going to further abuse the landcruiser name by making some awfull looking mutant tundra and passing it off as a cruiser.

We should not be supporting this crap.

I have a simple request. I want a diesel 70 series cruiser in the US. Solid axles and manually tranny. No cheesy body cladding, leather seats or dvd navigation.

Giving us a mutant tundra and calling it a cruiser-- when there are perfectly acceptable cruisers out there -- is just an insult.

Jared

unfortunately it's not about giving 4,000 people what they want. i'm gonna let the secret out of the bag here, ok? it's all about - MAKING MONEY! this is a business, plain and simple.

evolution is not an altogether bad thing, either. the 100 series is an extremely rugged, dependable vehicle. should humans go back to being radically sloped forehead knuckle draggers, too?

sjpitts said:
You guys are really missing the point.

Toyota makes plenty of landcruisers that can kick the rubicon's ass. They just choose not to sell them to us.

Instead, they have chosen to use the landcruiser name to sell 60 thousand dollar leather clad luxo vehicles. This alone was bad enough. But now they are going to further abuse the landcruiser name by making some awfull looking mutant tundra and passing it off as a cruiser.

We should not be supporting this crap.

I have a simple request. I want a diesel 70 series cruiser in the US. Solid axles and manually tranny. No cheesy body cladding, leather seats or dvd navigation.

Giving us a mutant tundra and calling it a cruiser-- when there are perfectly acceptable cruisers out there -- is just an insult.

Jared

If the American government would only allow their people to import a little bit newer vehicle into the country, then there would be more of you guys who can drive a 70 series that can kick stock Rubicon's butt. Unfortunately, it's the flipside of being protectionist...there are some forbidden fruits that only a few get to enjoy. I parked next to a Rubicon yesterday...and it looked so CUTE. :D

But, back to the FJ...

I wheeled with a 70 a guy in the club imported to the US. Granted it was open diff, it was not an impressive climber. I would however love to have something that size.

I think that you guys are missing my argument. I'm not bashing the new FJ, and i'm not saying jeep is now better than toyota. I own an 80, and i'm sure when they first came out that most cruiserheads were saying WTF is toyota doing building a mall wagon? But, the fact is they came with live axles, coil spring suspension, box frame and LOCKERS!!!! According to what i have read about the new FJ it's a IFS front suspension, v6 engine, no winch, no lockers. I mean, yea so it has a GPS you can take out and walk around in the woods with. THat nice. So it has coil spring seats, wow. So it has a bezel of a 40 and it says toyota on it, wow. What i am getting at is that if they are going to do this, i wish they would do it right. Get feedback from people who are true cruiser enthusiasts. Go out on the trails with these people and see what makes the cruiser so popular. Look at what the competition is selling and one-up them. Sure, it's probably going to be reliable. Sure, it's new and different and says Land Cruiser on it. Does it have lockers, no. Does it have front and rear live axles, no. Can you take the top off, no. But i guess only time will tell. Perhaps after it's introduction a few years down the road a removable top might be introduced. Perhaps a real land cruiser engine (inline) will be introduced or even better they will put a diesel in one. Perhaps we will see lockers available and aftermarket lift kits will be available. But Gumby, there is no way you could say that out of the box the FJ will go places a locked rubicon will go.

Edit: all this is based on magazine articles and pictures i have seen. Things could change if i actually get to touch one and see it first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom