Let me introduce Phred, my 1973 FJ40. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I checked and mine has the screws for the clips. I don't think I'd have an issue making the crank rod itself but the clips might be a challenge. I'm going to see if I can find clips from another source that would work and look correct, but I'm sure it won't be easy.

Its crazy that I started this thread to get an opinion on mounting a winch and now I'm down a rabbit hole for tiny clips that are nearly impossible to find....and I didn't even know existed until two days ago. I guess that's part of the fun.....😵‍💫

View attachment 3287139
A few random thoughts: you can rock the vehicle to get to TDC pretty easily. I have an extra engine crank if you decide to go that route.

@Green Bean You're absolutely correct. There are plenty of simple ways to crank the engine with using a factory engine crank handle, but then what would I do with those 6 little screws that I never knew existed until yesterday? 😁 They are begging for impossible to find clips now.

@Blastservices You're right.....the thread title has kinda gone off track. 😁 I'm assuming I can just "edit" my initial post and change the title? But what should it be? I'm leaning towards "Rabbit holes and other adventures in unobtanium"??

Curious have you checked your spare tire to see if you have this lock on it? Stole this picture from a thread in the 25 section. Over the years I have only acquired one.

20230330_143846.jpg

@Green Bean You're absolutely correct. There are plenty of simple ways to crank the engine with using a factory engine crank handle, but then what would I do with those 6 little screws that I never knew existed until yesterday? 😁 They are begging for impossible to find clips now.

@Blastservices You're right.....the thread title has kinda gone off track. 😁 I'm assuming I can just "edit" my initial post and change the title? But what should it be? I'm leaning towards "Rabbit holes and other adventures in unobtanium"??
Give the truck a name

@Pura Vida The original owner named it Phred so I feel bad changing it. Not really my top choice but at least its original.

@powthief19 That's a true statement. I'm gonna try and talk my buddy into cutting me a plate, but if that doesn't work out I'll get in touch.

@Pura Vida The original owner named it Phred so I feel bad changing it. Not really my top choice but at least its original.

@powthief19 That's a true statement. I'm gonna try and talk my buddy into cutting me a plate, but if that doesn't work out I'll get in touch.
It’s your truck now, you get to give it its own name. If you want to keep it, fine, but don’t feel forced to if you don’t like it

The PO of mine called it “Naranjita” but I wasn’t a huge fan, especially since I think mine is red, not orange, so now it’s the flaming 40 because it caught on fire one time, and it’s red

I posted a WANTED ad on the classifieds for OEM clips that hold the engine crank handle. Searching the interwebs I found a listing for the jack hold down brackets. I'm wondering if anyone can verify if these look the same as the engine crank hold-down clamps? I'm guessing the engine clamps are different because of the screws in my 73....they are parallel to how the handle would clamp in and the jack clamps have diagonal holes. I realize these are super duper rare but I'm hoping someone has actually seen them and can verify. If someone actually has a set of 3 that they aren't gonna use I'd love to hear about that too.

1680300142983.png

1680300223322.png

Cool thread, even cooler 40 and your finds.
Regarding the jack handle/engine crank discussion… When I was trying to get my engine to TDC I found an old jack and handle in one of my barns (house po was the best kind of hoarder) and it looked like the handle would work perfect to turn the engine over, it was like it was made for it, worked perfectly. Looked a lot like one of the handles @Living in the Past posted.

I’m on the road but will try to remember to take a picture when I get home.

Ian

Fjhunters? I have no affiliation. Just happened to see this on marketplace…. Are these the clips you guys are referencing?

C01AD080-4002-4B72-ACC2-9F412FF33B53.png

@Brew40 Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I think those are jack handle clips and from what I can tell they won't work for the engine crank. The engine crank is 3/4" diameter and the jack handles are much smaller. On top of that I the the screw holes on the jack handle clips are diagonal and the engine crank clips need to have holes parallel to the handle. There's another set of fj40 jack handle clips on eBay right now that show a good view of the holes....

So here's an interesting tidbit of information. The PO said he had used the jack handle to roll the engine over while adjusting the valves. He showed me how it fit under the bib and engaged the crank pulley.

After looking at the jack handle I didn't see how it could possibly engage the claws on the crank pulley but I didn't think the PO was nuts either. This morning I figured I'd test it out and guess what.....IT WORKS! I definitely do not think it could be used to START the engine (round hook doesn't engage the claws well enough) but it absolutely can be used to roll the engine. This would work great for valve adjusting.

I just thought some of you might enjoy that random information.

20230401_123222.jpg

20230401_123301.jpg

Just read this entire thread.
Congrats on the very nice find. That is surely a nice score. Very clean rig. Enjoy it! Looking forward to more post on this.

@Kayaker I notice in your second picture (I'm assuming based on the surrounding cars that its from the 70's) that your bumper is black. Was it black from the factory or did you paint it? I don't see any silver paint on mine and I'm wondering if it was originally black. I haven't reached out to the PO yet but just curious about yours....since you owned it since new.
Nope. It came in the pewter as all FJ40s. I painted it black after I cut the hole for the winch cable
feed. It stayed black for 25 years or so until I repainted it in the original color. When I purchased my winch in 1974, I had a steel plate cut and welded to the back side of the stock bumper. I use the winch frequently and sometimes to the limit of its 8000 lb capacity (stalling) and the mount and bumper have held up with no problem. I did buy a new stock bumper that I infrequently use to replace the bumper and winch when I want to return my 40 to near-stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom