LED tail lights on an FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here is how it goes, I have the idea of how to do it, how to cut the holes and where I want them.

Here is the problem, WIRES SCARE ME TO DEATH.

I want to install some HIGH quality LED tail lights but I want them to function properly (Brake, tail and signal lights along with brake lights working hile signal is blinking).

Does anyone know if I can simply wire it up or will I need to add some trailer crap in order for the lights to blink properly?

All help is appreciated.

If I can do this succesfully I will Right it up and take photos so I can submit it as a tech article.

Thanks, Dan

if you are replacing the separate turn - stop bulbs per the stock lights with one single combination light, then a harness adapter is required, trailer style. I actually connect mine at the firewall and ran new trailer wire to the back, used the "ground" wire in the harness as the backup wire.

Here is where I get dumb (Not hard to do).

Would I have to combine the stop and turn into one wire or would I have to add some kind of electrical gizmo (High tech talk here).

I hate wiring ahhhhh.

Woody is right on here...

"if you are replacing the separate turn - stop bulbs per the stock lights with one single combination light, then a harness adapter is required, trailer style"

What year is your 40?

You have somewhat indicated that you have the post 07/73 style rear lamps, which in this case, you will need this trailer style adapter installed in order to convert your multiple bulb system to a single bulb.

Good luck!

-Steve

Its a june of 77 model so I will need the harness, I guess I will start calling the trailer places in town next week.

I was all jazzed up to put led's in my 40 when I put new lights in it. I was told the amperage draw of the led's is so much less than the incadecent bulb that flasher relay wont function properly. Also after checking the prices of the led units cooled me off of the led idea. I decided to go with standard sealed oval shaped truck units available everywhere. I did run a couple of led's for front parking lights just for yucks. Those were cheap from walmart.

some pics for ref

http://www.pbase.com/axlechassis/cruisers

Bass pro shops in Dallas have the LED's in a pack reasonable, as far as wiring there is a thread on Pirate showing how, and the converter needed is at most auto parts houses, you need the universal kit, it is around $12

Butch

Thanks for the info Butch!

[quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=7471;start=msg62523#msg62523 date=1068700453]
Bass pro shops in Dallas have the LED's in a pack reasonable, as far as wiring there is a thread on Pirate showing how, and the converter needed is at most auto parts houses, you need the universal kit, it is around $12

Butch
[/quote]

By chance do you remember the name of the universal kit. Does this kit also allow the blinkers do function with the low draw the LEDs put out.

Dan

Of course I don't remember the part number, if your local parts house has the trailer adapters, they will have them grouped by application(Honda, Toyota etc.) look for on that is cheaper than most and says universal, for cars with amber TX, this is it.
If your blinkers don't flash, take out the OEM flasher and get a universal one and swap the terminals over.
Butch

31822.jpg

etrailer.com, $16...I've yet to be in a autodroid store that doesn't have something like this on the shelf, mine has the 4-prong built in to the adapter, I have another where it's just wires, which may work better for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom