Leak from near PHH and knock sensor problems after tip over on the trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

culturedredneck

GOLD Star
Threads
I had a little left side tip over on a trail recently and the rig sat on the DS for about 2 hours. Later that evening I noticed a small coolant leak and then the engine started running rough. It then threw the code for the knock sensor. I've replaced the PHH (last year) and confirmed that the clamps are tight, but coolant seems to be leaking from close to the PHH. It's very difficult to tell where exactly it's coming from. I'm going to investigate this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what and if anything could have happened in this area with these two issues after the rig was on it's side for a bit.

Any and all reasonable deductions and wild guesses are appreciated.

Yep, it's the "PHH Neighbor". If you pull your throttle body off, it's the formed hose that runs from the bottom then down beside the PHH.

If it laid on it's left side for two hours, did you pull the spark plugs before attempting to start the engine?

Otherwise, could have hydrolocked a cylinder and blown the HG.

If it laid on it's left side for two hours, did you pull the spark plugs before attempting to start the engine?

Otherwise, could have hydrolocked a cylinder and blown the HG.

Hmmm... I did not. I was unaware that hydro locking from the inside was a thing. It wasn’t a full flop, more like a 3/4 slow tip that got hung on a tree.

Hmmm... I did not. I was unaware that hydro locking from the inside was a thing. It wasn’t a full flop, more like a 3/4 slow tip that got hung on a tree.
As it is upside down, the engine oil will weep between the rings and fill the cylinder(s) by gravity. If you just turn it upright and crank it over, you may have had a cylinder or two with a lot of oil in them, not enough to stop the cranking, but enough to over pressure a cylinder and possibly cause an external leak.

I would recommend a compression test to confirm.

Did it smoke real bad after starting it?

As it is upside down, the engine oil will weep between the rings and fill the cylinder(s) by gravity. If you just turn it upright and crank it over, you may have had a cylinder or two with a lot of oil in them, not enough to stop the cranking, but enough to over pressure a cylinder and possibly cause an external leak.

I would recommend a compression test to confirm.

Did it smoke real bad after starting it?

Thanks for the explanation. Zero smoke on startup and none driving it in the week that followed. Just coolant leak and knock sensor issues. I’ll have the compression checked just to be sure.

Thanks for the explanation. Zero smoke on startup and none driving it in the week that followed. Just coolant leak and knock sensor issues. I’ll have the compression checked just to be sure.
I would say if you had zero smoke when starting, you're probably OK.

I would agree with @Grandlooser on his assessment.

Probably your motor mounts are smoked and the engine shifted a bit putting stress on something.

I think this theory is correct. The leak was from the piece of tubing that runs from the heater control valve to the top of the metal pipe that connects to the PHH. It was leaking down the back of the pipe and then coming straight off the PHH making it look like the PHH was busted. My guess is it was worn out at the bend and the flop caused it to pinch further and crack open. It was like this when I bought it so I'll likely purchase the molded hose kit from Wits End for peace of mind.

The fluid was leaking right onto the knock sensor so my best guess atm is that it is exposed somehow and the coolant is causing it to short.

IMG_3606.jpg

Makes sense about the shorting sensor. I had a pinhole leak in my radiator on my Subaru that just happened to mist coolant on to the factory oil pressure sender causing it to short and my low oil pressure warning light to light. This made my stomach drop (turbo EJ engines are very sensitive to oiling issues when not cared for properly, much like most cars) when I saw the light, but thankfully it was after low speed and load driving.

If the coolant is shorting it out, would the best course of action be to disconnect and clean with some rubbing alcohol? Would using some sort of dialectic grease when plugging it back in help?

Never mind. I looked at it wrong and the damn thing broke off. Guess I’ll just order another one and replace it. If it broke that easily it was probably already damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom