Events/Trails LCDC8 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Restaurant stuff or trails or what? I probably have a few depending on what you’re looking for
Yes. All of that really. Never been to Texas, so after LCDC ill scoop the wife up at the airport and we'll head towards DFW, so trails, good, neat/oddball sights, im always looking for something cool

I'm closer to Dallas so these recommendations will probably skew towards that side of the metroplex. It's Texas so it's a given you need to have some BBQ; my personal favorite is Pecan Lodge given their high quality and consistency. Second behind that is Cattleack which is also excellent, though I'm not as wild about their ribs. I have not yet been to the Terry Black's, but have heard great things about it. Additionally you'll hear about tons of other places such as Lockhart, Hutchins, Slow Bone, Heim, Goldee's, etc which are good in their own right, but if I could only go to one it would be Pecan Lodge. Both Terry Black's and Pecan Lodge are downtown in Deep Ellum which is a funky/artsy area (though a bit dirty and occasionally sketchy at night).

If you want steak there are a few that always pop up as recommended--Nick & Sams, Bob's Chophouse, Al Biernat's, and my personal favorite of Pappas Bros; the dry aged ribeye will melt in your mouth. Tacos I mainly get up near me about 30 minutes to the north so I'm not as well versed in the downtown offerings; for a first timer it's hard to beat Fuel City to truly understand a great taco can come from anywhere (don't skip on the elotes cart). Burgers I'll usually go to Maple & Motor or Keller's Drive in, but there are a handful of decent places around.

We don't have as much as far as trails goes; with the sprawling metroplex the closest offroad park is called Lonestar Offroad Park, but it's gotten a reputation of essentially being a giant mud pit. To the northwest of DFW you've got Northwest OHV Park in Bridgeport and to the east by a bit (2hrs) you've got Barnwell Mountain which is home to Toyota Jamboree.

If you have some spare time downtown the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza is fantastic, as is the Perot Museum. Downtown will have a variety of art installations spread out; Klyde Warren Park is a fun hangout and they have a variety of events If you make it to Fort Worth it's always fun to go see the cattle drive and walk around the Stockyards. Renowned Texas chef Tim Love has a handful of restaurants all over that side of town and a neat one is Lonesome Dove; they have a relatively exotic menu where you can try a number of game animals. The Dallas Arboretum is beautiful, but in late July/early August it will be very warm out there; it's near White Rock Lake which has a pretty incredible 9.5 mile loop around the entire lake (though again, not as enjoyable in the summer).

There's plenty more, but that should at least get you started on looking into some stuff to do

In Dallas I always liked Bone Dadsy's for BBQ and Love and War in Texas

I'll be headed to DFW after Breck, any good things to check out or recommendations?
Absolutely, let's connect over a beer, or other adult beverage, at the event and I'll give you the download. Made the trip many times.

In case you're wondering, no, we haven't sent out any official communications since registration. Things will start ramping up in May/June as we finalize which trails we're able to run. The trail network spans 4 ranger districts and 3 forest service units. Fortunately, our permitting needs are pretty simple this year since the event is smaller.

Currently, we're looking at these as the primary trail options...
  • Red Cone (and back out via Webster Pass / Handcart)
  • Argentine/McClellan in Georgetown
  • Chihuahua Gulch and Peru Creek
  • Saints John and Deer Creek
  • Mount Zion + Slide Lake
  • Mosquito Pass to Birdseye Gulch
  • North Fork + Swan Mountain
  • Limited runs of Half Moon Gulch and/or Wheeler Lake
  • Family-Friendly Meandering Easy-but-Scenic Trails (Breck > Boreas Pass > Weston Pass > Shrine Pass > Breck)
Most of these trail days would wrap up by early afternoon, giving folks a chance to explore the area on their own or run some other trails in self-organized groups.

Last edited:
Back out through Webster on Red cone can be either to 285 which is real narrow and I saw a Jeep roll there

or down through the town of Montezuma which ends up in Keystone chose to Breckenridge which is what I would recommend. Is that what you mean by Handcart?

Back out through Webster on Red cone can be either to 285 which is real narrow and I saw a Jeep roll there

or down through the town of Montezuma which ends up in Keystone chose to Breckenridge which is what I would recommend. Is that what you mean by Handcart?
Since Red Cone is the "main event," it'll kind of be up to the leader on which way to go. I've gone uphill on the Webster Pass side but never downhill. Handcart is the valley leading up to Webster Pass from CR 60 which goes to 285. It's a cool trail, but it may be more fun (and easier) to do Red Cone and then either call it a day after going to Montezuma or running something like Sante Fe Peak.

In case you're wondering, no, we haven't sent out any official communications since registration. Things will start ramping up in May/June as we finalize which trails we're able to run. The trail network spans 4 ranger districts and 3 forest service units. Fortunately, our permitting needs are pretty simple this year since the event is smaller.

Currently, we're looking at these as the primary trail options...
  • Red Cone (and back out via Webster Pass / Handcart)
  • Argentine/McClellan in Georgetown
  • Chihuahua Gulch and Peru Creek
  • Saints John and Deer Creek
  • Mount Zion + Slide Lake
  • Mosquito Pass to Birdseye Gulch
  • North Fork + Swan Mountain
  • Limited runs of Half Moon Gulch and/or Wheeler Lake
  • Family-Friendly Meandering Easy-but-Scenic Trails (Breck > Boreas Pass > Weston Pass > Shrine Pass > Breck)
Most of these trail days would wrap up by early afternoon, giving folks a chance to explore the area on their own or run some other trails in self-organized groups.
Question for you Colorado Trail legends! Do most of these runs require large tires, sliders, skid plates and or lifts to enjoy LCDC? I would love to do Red Cone since it's the main event but after watching some trail videos there looks like some gnarly rocks and I only have C Load AT tires (Falken AT3's) and stock suspension. I would like to do as many trails as I can without adding a bunch of weight if possible.

Question for you Colorado Trail legends! Do most of these runs require large tires, sliders, skid plates and or lifts to enjoy LCDC? I would love to do Red Cone since it's the main event but after watching some trail videos there looks like some gnarly rocks and I only have C Load AT tires (Falken AT3's) and stock suspension. I would like to do as many trails as I can without adding a bunch of weight if possible.
I did it in 2017 on 34s with a mild lift and sliders. No front or rear bumper. I dented my rear in the corner, though in hindsight if I'd stacked rocks I would've avoided that dent.

You might make it on 33" A/Ts without a lift, or you might end up like I did. It's doable, and with perfect lines and maybe some rock stacking you probably can avoid any lasting damage.

1651256693920.png

I did it in 2017 on 34s with a mild lift and sliders. No front or rear bumper. I dented my rear in the corner, though in hindsight if I'd stacked rocks I would've avoided that dent.

You might make it on 33" A/Ts without a lift, or you might end up like I did. It's doable, and with perfect lines and maybe some rock stacking you probably can avoid any lasting damage.
Thanks for your reply! I'm impressed the 34" spare fit in the rear! Your rig a beauty, I think the dent adds character :)

Thanks for your reply! I'm impressed the 34" spare fit in the rear! Your rig a beauty, I think the dent adds character :)
A 34 will fit, just barely. Anything larger won't.

And thanks, I agree about the dent, though I'm about to lose it when I install my rear swingout.

You can totally enjoy LCDC on stock suspension, A/T tires, and no additional armor. I did it two years ago in my 2016. They tend to offer some easy/moderate trail options that allow all kinds of trucks to participate.

You can explore most of the trails with a stock truck, but I would not suggest Red Cone unless you are ok with putting some dents and scratches into your rear bumper. Depending on experience level driving on rocky, steep trails, there is a chance of rocker damage too. The good news is there are plenty of fun options with very low chances of damage, but I would caution everyone regardless of experience level there is always a chance of damage depending on trail conditions or just simply choosing a bad line on an easy trail.

You can totally enjoy LCDC on stock suspension, A/T tires, and no additional armor. I did it two years ago in my 2016. They tend to offer some easy/moderate trail options that allow all kinds of trucks to participate.
You can explore most of the trails with a stock truck, but I would not suggest Red Cone unless you are ok with putting some dents and scratches into your rear bumper. Depending on experience level driving on rocky, steep trails, there is a chance of rocker damage too. The good news is there are plenty of fun options with very low chances of damage, but I would caution everyone regardless of experience level there is always a chance of damage depending on trail conditions or just simply choosing a bad line on an easy trail.
Thank you guys for your input! This helps a lot!

I'm closer to Dallas so these recommendations will probably skew towards that side of the metroplex. It's Texas so it's a given you need to have some BBQ; my personal favorite is Pecan Lodge given their high quality and consistency. Second behind that is Cattleack which is also excellent, though I'm not as wild about their ribs. I have not yet been to the Terry Black's, but have heard great things about it. Additionally you'll hear about tons of other places such as Lockhart, Hutchins, Slow Bone, Heim, Goldee's, etc which are good in their own right, but if I could only go to one it would be Pecan Lodge. Both Terry Black's and Pecan Lodge are downtown in Deep Ellum which is a funky/artsy area (though a bit dirty and occasionally sketchy at night).

If you want steak there are a few that always pop up as recommended--Nick & Sams, Bob's Chophouse, Al Biernat's, and my personal favorite of Pappas Bros; the dry aged ribeye will melt in your mouth. Tacos I mainly get up near me about 30 minutes to the north so I'm not as well versed in the downtown offerings; for a first timer it's hard to beat Fuel City to truly understand a great taco can come from anywhere (don't skip on the elotes cart). Burgers I'll usually go to Maple & Motor or Keller's Drive in, but there are a handful of decent places around.

We don't have as much as far as trails goes; with the sprawling metroplex the closest offroad park is called Lonestar Offroad Park, but it's gotten a reputation of essentially being a giant mud pit. To the northwest of DFW you've got Northwest OHV Park in Bridgeport and to the east by a bit (2hrs) you've got Barnwell Mountain which is home to Toyota Jamboree.

If you have some spare time downtown the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza is fantastic, as is the Perot Museum. Downtown will have a variety of art installations spread out; Klyde Warren Park is a fun hangout and they have a variety of events If you make it to Fort Worth it's always fun to go see the cattle drive and walk around the Stockyards. Renowned Texas chef Tim Love has a handful of restaurants all over that side of town and a neat one is Lonesome Dove; they have a relatively exotic menu where you can try a number of game animals. The Dallas Arboretum is beautiful, but in late July/early August it will be very warm out there; it's near White Rock Lake which has a pretty incredible 9.5 mile loop around the entire lake (though again, not as enjoyable in the summer).

There's plenty more, but that should at least get you started on looking into some stuff to do
This is as solid of a list for DFW spots as you will find. Agree with Pecan Lodge as probably the overall top; Goldee's is in Ft. Worth and was just ranked #1 in the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list. The reality is that BBQ has exploded in Texas, far beyond what it was even 10 years. There are tons of great places now.

This is as solid of a list for DFW spots as you will find. Agree with Pecan Lodge as probably the overall top; Goldee's is in Ft. Worth and was just ranked #1 in the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list. The reality is that BBQ has exploded in Texas, far beyond what it was even 10 years. There are tons of great places now.
I swing by lockharts every time I’m in DFW. Must hit place.

I swing by lockharts every time I’m in DFW. Must hit place.
Lockhart's is an absolute favorite as well. When they opened their first location, the pit master had the "beef cut" layout tatooed on his arm. That's committed. :)
lockhart.smokehouse.dallas.smoke.camp.34.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom