Events/Trails LCDC 7 - Summer 2021 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll have my laptop running Chirp with me and the programming cable for the BF, so we can get you going in a hurry if nee
I’ll have my laptop running Chirp with me and the programming cable for the BF, so we can get you going in a hurry if need be.
I’ll have my laptop running Chirp with me and the programming cable for the BF, so we can get you going in a hurry if need be.
I have no idea what Chirp is but I just got my Baofeng UV82 today. Never used frs nor ham nor any communications radio bc this is my first legit off-road group event, so I’m gonna take up any and all advice, help, pointers, etc etc. I’ve been reading up on posts and diff comm forums, but honestly it’s a tad overwhelming. I think I’d get the hang of comms much better in person. I do know I have to eventually do the ham license/training thingymagij lol thxxxx

Newbie here... what or where is BB???

Sorry. Black Bear is one of the widely referenced trails in this thread about next week’s event. BB=Black BearPass trail. Its an amazing route between the Ouray side and the Telluride side of major peaks in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Chirp is but I just got my Baofeng UV82 today. Never used frs nor ham nor any communications radio bc this is my first legit off-road group event, so I’m gonna take up any and all advice, help, pointers, etc etc. I’ve been reading up on posts and diff comm forums, but honestly it’s a tad overwhelming. I think I’d get the hang of comms much better in person. I do know I have to eventually do the ham license/training thingymagij lol thxxxx
Chirp is software that you can use to program your radio from a computer, as opposed to manually inputting each frequency by hand. It also can act as a directory of repeater frequencies.

There are many videos on YouTube that could help. At 10:20 or so in the link below he uses chirp to load 100+ frequencies into his radio from a computer. Special cable required.

Loaded up and heading out!

A9C7E96D-A2DE-40C1-A63A-84A837EF4999.jpeg

En route from PA, made it to Muncie Indiana last night. Got the Bob Ross experience this morning, then we hit Milwaukee. Tomorrow more westbound. The 50/70 closures have me waiting watching this like crazy

If you are north of I-70 ...

consider taking I-80 West to WY-789 S (Exit 187, Creston Jct/Baggs). Fill up at the Conoco in Baggs, WY and continue south on WY-789 (becomes CO-13). Take CO-13 to Rifle, CO and then connect to I-70 and avoid the US50/I-70 closures.

If I-70 is closed, expect heavy traffic on CO-13 between Craig, CO (US40) and Rifle, CO (I-70) as this is the 'recommended' detour around the I-70 closure.

Although shorter, I would not recommend taking WY-230 S in Laramie, WY to Walden, CO because you will have to take US40 from Steamboat Springs to Craig, CO. US40 between Steamboat Springs, CO and Craig, CO is also part of the detour around I-70 closure.

Colorado Department of Transportation’s proposed alternate route while Interstate 70 is closed through Glenwood Canyon. Courtesy of CDOT

Last edited:
En route from PA, made it to Muncie Indiana last night. Got the Bob Ross experience this morning, then we hit Milwaukee. Tomorrow more westbound. The 50/70 closures have me waiting watching this like crazy

Westbound I-70 is currently open through Glenwood Canyon, but the question is when will it be closed again (and for how long).

• ROAD CLOSED
    alert_closure_minimal_16x16.png

I-70 Eastbound Glenwood Canyon (Milemarker 87-133)
    I-70 in Glenwood Canyon is closed at Exit 87 (West Rifle), Exit (109) (Canyon Creek), and Exit 116 (Glenwood Springs), due to flash flooding potential for the Grizzly Creek burn scar. Local eastbound traffic on I-70 will be allowed east of Exit 109, but motorists should expect delays. --- WESTBOUND IS OPEN---
    Last Updated: 07/24/2021 5:37 AM

Chirp is software that you can use to program your radio from a computer, as opposed to manually inputting each frequency by hand. It also can act as a directory of repeater frequencies.

There are many videos on YouTube that could help. At 10:20 or so in the link below he uses chirp to load 100+ frequencies into his radio from a computer. Special cable required.

Oooo thx for explaining! And sending link.

Chirp is software that you can use to program your radio. It makes doing so 'easier', but not exactly easy. Programming radios seems to be intentionally daunting. For trail comms, no real programming is necessary. Just put the radio in frequency mode and type in the frequency you are using that particular day. It's all simplex, meaning you are transmitting and receiving on the same frequency which makes it very..... simple. I'm no expert, but I had gotten pretty comfortable with Chirp and the BF radios and am happy to help. These days I'm using a Yaesu radio in the truck which uses a different software and my handheld is an Anytone which uses yet another software, so the learning never ends.

The most important thing here is that you do not need to "Program" your radio for trail comms, just enter the frequency and go.

Chirp is software that you can use to program your radio. It makes doing so 'easier', but not exactly easy. Programming radios seems to be intentionally daunting. For trail comms, no real programming is necessary. Just put the radio in frequency mode and type in the frequency you are using that particular day. It's all simplex, meaning you are transmitting and receiving on the same frequency which makes it very..... simple. I'm no expert, but I had gotten pretty comfortable with Chirp and the BF radios and am happy to help. These days I'm using a Yaesu radio in the truck which uses a different software and my handheld is an Anytone which uses yet another software, so the learning never ends.

The most important thing here is that you do not need to "Program" your radio for trail comms, just enter the frequency and go.
Gotcha!! Thx...as you say, seems learning never ends. See ya in CO!

Gotcha!! Thx...as you say, seems learning never ends. See ya in CO!

This also a good reference as your radio doesn't have the FRS/GMRS channels programmed into it, so if you want to monitor/use FRS/GMRS you will need to know the frequency to enter for each channel. Also some other useful info, but the FRS/GMRS Frequency/Channel chart on the right side is very handy.

fgrqrc.jpg

Last edited:
Ahgh. Another misfire code:

We are on our way. We made a stop in Hannibal, MO. The wife wanted to see the boyhood home of Mark Twain. Spent the night in Topeka and will be leaving shortly for Colorado Springs. Will head to Ouray from there on Monday morning. Think we will do the route that goes over Kebler Pass.

IMG_1815.jpg

We are camping around Kite lake Tuesday night and taking Stony pass into Silverton Wednesday if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom