LC100 to 5th Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not exactly same scenario, but my 80 is pretty much done, and we have a 5 year old 4runner limited. We put the 17X7.5 toyota wheels on the 4runner immediately. In ground clearance, maneuvering, acceleration, gas mileage the 4 runner wins. We have had some minor issues with the runner that were easily addressed and overall the lower maintenance schedule in comparison to the 80 is another +. I've been debating getting another 4 runner to finally get rid of the 80, and can't find the right combination that makes me say "yeah that's the one". Atrac may work, but I prefer full time AWD, real lockers and the option of running an open center diff in low range.

I just turned over 100K on my second 4runner...and I feel the same way I did 6 years ago, in fact I probably love it more. When a 80, 100 or even 200 pass on the road, I still dream...

roam 4.jpg

I just turned over 100K on my second 4runner...and I feel the same way I did 6 years ago, in fact I probably love it more. When a 80, 100 or even 200 pass on the road, I still dream...

View attachment 2626829

Same here. Passed 100k on my second 5th gen about a month ago. Had 63k on my first one before trading it in. The older it gets the more I'm inclined to keep my 4Runner but I won't lie every time I see a clean 80 or 200 series I get a serious case of the Land Cruiser bug.

Second resurrection of a once-dead thread... Selling my 2006 LX470. Already bought a 2002 TRD Offroad 4Runner. I immediately put 285/70-17 BFGS, wheels, springs and shocks on it. The Pedal Commander is a miraculous addition. I love this rig. So tight, not a single rattle or sqeak, better (but not great) mileage. Will do things off road that the Lexus just wouldn't do, mostly because of the weight difference I think. This is more of what my older Cruisers were; simple, sturdy, capable.

Second resurrection of a once-dead thread... Selling my 2006 LX470. Already bought a 2002 TRD Offroad 4Runner. I immediately put 285/70-17 BFGS, wheels, springs and shocks on it. The Pedal Commander is a miraculous addition. I love this rig. So tight, not a single rattle or sqeak, better (but not great) mileage. Will do things off road that the Lexus just wouldn't do, mostly because of the weight difference I think. This is more of what my older Cruisers were; simple, sturdy, capable.
2020?

I actually always have a LC bug, but a couple weeks ago I hit the trail with the local TLCA group- a 40, 60, 80, 100s, GX470 (120) and 200s.... There ended up being quite a lot of ice and hard packed snow on the trail. I was really surprised to see the majority of these rigs sliding all over the place and struggling in several sections where my locked '21 TRD OR easily traversed all day without any slipping.

In any case, the experience certainly made me feel better about having bought a new 4R instead of an actual LC, especially one without a locker. I also like the simplicity of the truck with it's manual transfer case and an engine bay that is mostly free of clutter. Important to emphasize that I did have a catastrophic failure in the 4R on my 2nd time wheeling though (the only one I've heard of anywhere online), a rock punched through the OEM skid plate knocking the front diff into the upper and lower oil pans and draining all the oil from the engine and cracking the diff, a failure that most likely would not have happened to any LCs in the same situation after looking closely at how the 100 and 200 front diff is better supported and guarded- after all, there must be a reason the PRADO platform is designated as "light duty"- but once there are proper steel skids on the 4R, I can't really find many major vulnerable areas. Maybe the low hanging muffler? Weaker shocks perhaps?

And it does remind me of a 60 in simplicity and size... minus the solid front obviously, but even modern North American LCs have IFS so not a real issue. My biggest gripe with the 4R is that Toyota won't sell you one with both a 3rd row and a rear locker due to weight ratings with 7 adults in the truck and the locker engaged.

Last edited:
Probably not a good person to ask. My experience with TLC's is having a couple of FJ40's. Loved them but due to health issues had to sell my '69 I was semi-restoring. Bought a 2019 SR5 Premium. I LOVE IT!!!

I've never owned an LC. I do have a 2011 T4R I purchased in 2014 with under 30 K miles on it. It now has ~140 K miles. Eight years is the longest that I have ever owned a single vehicle, and whenever I try to think of something to replace this rig with a new T4R is the first thing that pops up in my head. I've done the usual "upgrades" to it, including suspension, tires, bullbar, roofrack, ad naseum. My favorites are rock sliders and 4.56 regearing to match the 32" KO2s. The only other thing I'd like to change at this point would be to get a set of Scheel-Mann seats. And they are a want, not a need. I am guessing that I put on as many, if not more, off-road miles on Dusty than most owners. I love ATRAC, no need for lockers or a posi that I can see. Mileage with the regearing isn't all that great, especially in winter. I've seen 11.9 mpg on a few tanks, but mostly 14+ mpg. Summer time and highway miles can get up to 18 mpg at 60-65 mph. Mountain passes cut that down too. Pulling a trailer for awhile I was getting ~14 mpg overall. Acceptable.. There is just nothing out there that really makes me want to change.

Dusty ORBDR B&W.jpeg

A quick update to my earlier post. I did both the NWOR and the BCOR over the past two weekends. Great times and lots of T4Rs in attendance. I tried to maintain constant speeds going to/from each event. Pulling a small Freespirit Recreation trailer I averaged 18+ mpg to Plain, WA and back. Driving up into Canada with a Gazelle T4 tent this time I got 18-20 mpg! I never exceeded 65 mph/110 kph on each trip. So I'm very happy with the mileage. Both times the rig was loaded to the gunnels. The drive in lower BC was exceptionally beautiful. Good mileage in Canada was important. Prices up there were approx. $2.28/L CDN. That's over $8.00/gal. US! Oh Canada!

Second comment. This is the first time Nanc and I spent any time in that part of BC. Merritt is a neat little city and the countryside is beautiful! We'll be back to explore more and then to head east into Banff and Jasper NPs. Everyone we met were wonderful. There is a subtle difference in Canada, and I like it.

Dale, the old fart

3rd Gen 4Runners are the best T4R IMHO.

2020?

I actually always have a LC bug, but a couple weeks ago I hit the trail with the local TLCA group- a 40, 60, 80, 100s, GX470 (120) and 200s.... There ended up being quite a lot of ice and hard packed snow on the trail. I was really surprised to see the majority of these rigs sliding all over the place and struggling in several sections where my locked '21 TRD OR easily traversed all day without any slipping.

In any case, the experience certainly made me feel better about having bought a new 4R instead of an actual LC, especially one without a locker. I also like the simplicity of the truck with it's manual transfer case and an engine bay that is mostly free of clutter. Important to emphasize that I did have a catastrophic failure in the 4R on my 2nd time wheeling though (the only one I've heard of anywhere online), a rock punched through the OEM skid plate knocking the front diff into the upper and lower oil pans and draining all the oil from the engine and cracking the diff, a failure that most likely would not have happened to any LCs in the same situation after looking closely at how the 100 and 200 front diff is better supported and guarded- after all, there must be a reason the PRADO platform is designated as "light duty"- but once there are proper steel skids on the 4R, I can't really find many major vulnerable areas. Maybe the low hanging muffler? Weaker shocks perhaps?

And it does remind me of a 60 in simplicity and size... minus the solid front obviously, but even modern North American LCs have IFS so not a real issue. My biggest gripe with the 4R is that Toyota won't sell you one with both a 3rd row and a rear locker due to weight ratings with 7 adults in the truck and the locker engaged.

We owned three 5th Gen 4Runners prior to our LX570 and LC, they are fantastic vehicles for the money. Like yourself, we always longed for a 200 and once we bought them it's hard to look back and desire a 150 Series. I miss the roll down rear window, better aftermarket support, and it's smaller size and weight when on tight trails, but I don't miss the cheaper feel, noisier cabin, and the awful engine/tranny combo. That said, the fact that the 200 doesn't come with at least a rear locker option is very disappointing.

3rd Gen 4Runners are the best T4R IMHO.

We owned three 5th Gen 4Runners prior to our LX570 and LC, they are fantastic vehicles for the money. Like yourself, we always longed for a 200 and once we bought them it's hard to look back and desire a 150 Series. I miss the roll down rear window, better aftermarket support, and it's smaller size and weight when on tight trails, but I don't miss the cheaper feel, noisier cabin, and the awful engine/tranny combo. That said, the fact that the 200 doesn't come with at least a rear locker option is very disappointing.
I'm definitely going to miss the 4Runner. The best part of 4Runner Vs a 200 LC is buying a new one for half price of a new 200 series! The deal breaker on longterm ownership on the 4Runner for me ended up being how Toyota will not sell you a third row in a truck with a rear locker. I went for the locker, but after less than a year- what I really needed was a third row. Hence the 2008 LC purchase. Either one is a great truck- although they both feel very different to me!

That's funny that you mention the third row being a need for you personally. We specifically sought out a two-row LX and I'll be removing the third row in the Cruiser here in the coming weeks as well. No kids and large dogs equals no need for them, different strokes for different folks haha. You'll come to appreciate the 200 and likely not think much about the 4Runner in time. Congrats on the recent acquisition.

That's funny that you mention the third row being a need for you personally. We specifically sought out a two-row LX and I'll be removing the third row in the Cruiser here in the coming weeks as well. No kids and large dogs equals no need for them, different strokes for different folks haha. You'll come to appreciate the 200 and likely not think much about the 4Runner in time. Congrats on the recent acquisition.
Thanks but to put it into a bit more perspective, my 200 LC is a 2008 that served 10 years of cattle ranch duty with 175k miles on it Vs my brand new 2021 4Runner. So, there is certainly a difference in which truck was tighter and shinier. I see you've got new 200 series in your stable, so it's likely a slightly different experience.

Some may consider this post a bit of heresy.

I have an 04 LC100 that is in great shape. There are times it feels a bit too big. Fuel economy is not great, but I love the vehicle. It has been a third car and has seen about 5K miles in the past year. It looks like it might become a daily driver. While I love the vehicle, I'm not sure it's practical as a daily driver for me and my briefcase and a few hand tools.

I'm considering a Gen 5 4Runner.

For those of you who have already moved from LC100 to the 4Runner, what have been your observations.

I'm considering a Trail or Limited. I do have a trailer that we take from Phoenix to Flagstaff several times per year. It weighs 3,000# loaded. The climb is from 1000 above sea level to 7,300 feet above sea level.

I love the AC on the cruiser. I'm curious about the performance of the AC on the 4Runner.

Thanks,

Bruce
I just did this last year with the purchase of a 21 4R TRD Pro to replace my 2006 LC. We still own the LC presently and are having a hard time giving it up. LC has a quieter ride and more power. 4R handles better. My family complains about the noise of the TRD cat back and factory rubber. I'll try something different at 40,000 like KO2 or ??. I plan on reading treads to see what works best for the majority. Love them both.

Hello Dead Thread!

I had a 2000 Land Cruiser with 173,000 that drove like a Swiss watch. It was tight and extremely quiet. No squeaks, rattles or vibrations of any kind. An absolute gem of a vehicle and a dream to drive down the road.

Then Hurricane Ian struck Florida and covered the vehicle in over 7 feet of sea water. It was destroyed.

I'm currently driving a 2023 4Runner SR5 and I STILL wave at people driving J100 series Cruisers when I see them. Big goofy smile and arm out the window.

My 23 year old Land Cruiser was quieter then this brand new 2023 4Runner and felt tighter. Zero wind noise even after 23 years but my new 4Runner has wind noise. Sigh.

Every time I pull the latch to open the hood on the 4Runner and I hear the abrupt snap of the security lever and the pop sound of the hood opening up, I think back to the quiet and smooth opening function of the Land Cruiser.

I know that the 4Runner is simply a Light Duty J150 Land Cruiser just like the Prado and the Lexus GX460 but it just doesn't have the build quality of a J100 or 200 series Cruiser.

Don't get me wrong, I love the J150 Land Cruiser badged as a 4Runner, I do, but I miss the J100 Land Cruiser for SO MANY SMALL REASONS.

Hello Dead Thread!

I had a 2000 Land Cruiser with 173,000 that drove like a Swiss watch. It was tight and extremely quiet. No squeaks, rattles or vibrations of any kind. An absolute gem of a vehicle and a dream to drive down the road.

Then Hurricane Ian struck Florida and covered the vehicle in over 7 feet of sea water. It was destroyed.

I'm currently driving a 2023 4Runner SR5 and I STILL wave at people driving J100 series Cruisers when I see them. Big goofy smile and arm out the window.

My 23 year old Land Cruiser was quieter then this brand new 2023 4Runner and felt tighter. Zero wind noise even after 23 years but my new 4Runner has wind noise. Sigh.

Every time I pull the latch to open the hood on the 4Runner and I hear the abrupt snap of the security lever and the pop sound of the hood opening up, I think back to the quiet and smooth opening function of the Land Cruiser.

I know that the 4Runner is simply a Light Duty J150 Land Cruiser just like the Prado and the Lexus GX460 but it just doesn't have the build quality of a J100 or 200 series Cruiser.

Don't get me wrong, I love the J150 Land Cruiser badged as a 4Runner, I do, but I miss the J100 Land Cruiser for SO MANY SMALL REASONS.

I get it, we had three 5th Gen 4Runners, they simply aren't in the same stratosphere as a true Cruiser. The GX460, while still a J150 is much more refined than the 4Runner and splits the gap between the two and dare I say leans more towards the Cruiser side of quality but that's most due to its Lexus DNA. No 4Runner will give you that Land Cruiser feel and sense of ownership and if you miss it that dearly maybe it's time to consider trading it in towards a 200 Series Cruiser or LX570?!

I've driven a 100 series for abut 20 years. Picked up a 4R Limited today. Still feeling it out, but I like some of the modern tech. Most of the tech on it (lane departure, precollision, etc) I'll prob leave of for daily driving. The 4R V6 does not have the growl my 100 series had when you put the pedal down, but the drivetrain seems solid. Seems like a good transition vehicle from LC/LX to 4R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom