LC Shrimp & Crab boil Oct 3-5 planning thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting things ready as well. I am taking the camper and the in-laws down sun. I will be coming back thur. night.

Got my crab pots and hand lines ready, just need to stop by Shem Creek and buy some fish heads. I had to order some replacement parts for my smoker, and got the list made out for the grocery store. Can't wait, looks like we are going to have some nice cool weather.

Gundy, do you know if our RV sites have fire rings to build campfires. If so I need to get a little firewood.

Jeremy

Getting things ready as well. I am taking the camper and the in-laws down sun. I will be coming back thur. night.

Got my crab pots and hand lines ready, just need to stop by Shem Creek and buy some fish heads. I had to order some replacement parts for my smoker, and got the list made out for the grocery store. Can't wait, looks like we are going to have some nice cool weather.

Gundy, do you know if our RV sites have fire rings to build campfires. If so I need to get a little firewood.

Jeremy

I don't know for certain but I can't imagne they wouldn't. I'm bringing some seasoned
firewood from home with me. On that note I built the first fire of the season in the
fireplace here in Pumpkintown last night. I'm thinking the Mountain Hooger Cabin
gets it's first fire in decades this weekend. :hillbilly:

I am pretty sure the sites have fire rings- firewood is going to be essential. Good call.

Marshall, how many crab pots are you guys planning on setting to catch our bounty? Also how permits/sets of shrimp poles are you guys running? I have my dads poles and can get another liscense if it will help.

Jeremy

Of course you'll give the chimney a good sweep first . . . right?
I knew you would.
b

I don't know for certain but I can't imagne they wouldn't. I'm bringing some seasoned
firewood from home with me. On that note I built the first fire of the season in the
fireplace here in Pumpkintown last night. I'm thinking the Mountain Hooger Cabin
gets it's first fire in decades this weekend. :hillbilly:

Marshall, how many crab pots are you guys planning on setting to catch our bounty? Also how permits/sets of shrimp poles are you guys running? I have my dads poles and can get another license if it will help.

Jeremy

I have one big pot and one of those crappy half pots. If we have a couple more I think we will be good. If we end up having all females we can just go buy them. If we catch a majority of our seafood I think we would pay for gas for the boats and whats left over we look at giving some back to those that came and save some for LC events.

As far as shrimping I've got my tags and license as well as poles. I don't know how DNR looks at having two permits in one boat. I'm still planning on bringing the boat. But towing it with the 80 is gonna be rough. It has 220k on it. A breakdown is probable.

catch limit is 48 qts. per boat each time it is launched. I've seen people bring the boat in, put it on the trailer, unload the shrimp,re-launch and go out again

I went ahead and ordered my tags this morning. They should be here before I leave thur.

I don't know what the schedule is for the festivities, but my plan is:

Fri. AM: Get up early, catch bait, set pots, and fish most of the day.

Fri. afternoon: Check pots and reset, enjoy what the club has planned.

Fri. night: Go shrimping,

Sat. Am: Check pots and reset, enjoy the beach and lighthouse.

Sat. Afternoon: Final check of pots, enjoy second night with the club.

Sun. AM: Pack up.

Anyone who wants to join me is welcome. I will have 1-2 extra seats on the boat. Currently it is: Myself, my Father-inlaw, and Marshall (if he doesn't bring his boat). My boat can hold 3-4 people.

Jeremy

Of course you'll give the chimney a good sweep first . . . right?
I knew you would.
b

Well...no. I gave a good visual inspection and all appears well.
Several decades of non-use and rain pouring in appear to have
scrubbed the thing pretty clean. ;)
I'm going to use a duralog for the first few and I only use hardwoods
in my fireplaces so I'm hoping it will not burn down. I have insurance
and a fire extinquisher handy. :hillbilly:
That and it's raining for the next couple of days so I hoping I don't
set Pumpkintown on fire. :eek:
We continue to stock for the beach. Ton of batteries bought yesterday. ;)

I am not sure what to bring other than my usual camping gear. I have a propane turkey fryer I can bring, and firewood. I also have restaurant sized pots/pans tongs etc. I have regular lake fishing gear, what else should I bring?

is there a convoy headed down at a certain time/place, I am coming from NE GA and would prefer to follow somone down since my cruiser has 305k on it

only a few things to do before I can leave:
maybe some new tires,, long over due
quick brake job,
headlight wiring upgrade
possibly a knuckle job
adjust rear brakes
empty the junk out of the back--- that could take the longest
install CB--- buy antenna

I am not sure what to bring other than my usual camping gear. I have a propane turkey fryer I can bring, and firewood. I also have restaurant sized pots/pans tongs etc. I have regular lake fishing gear, what else should I bring?

is there a convoy headed down at a certain time/place, I am coming from NE GA and would prefer to follow somone down since my cruiser has 305k on it

only a few things to do before I can leave:
maybe some new tires,, long over due
quick brake job,
headlight wiring upgrade
possibly a knuckle job
adjust rear brakes
empty the junk out of the back--- that could take the longest
install CB--- buy antenna

Bob a turkey fryer would be good. Something we can do the boil with. One with a basket would be nice. I'm goning to get Chuck to bring his down also.

Tips For Hunting Island:

A few pointers:

Stop at either the Publix or Food Lion just over the bridge on Ladys Island. They are behind the Mcdonalds and is the last nice grocery store before the island.

Bring or purchase your own firewood prior. There is none laying around and the Park store charges $6.00 for a small bundle.

To those camping in tents, make arrangements to protect your food! The racoons are crazy down there. And I don't mean a cooler, unless it has a lock on it. They will open coolers.

Hope to see you all soon!

Jeremy

Thanks for the heads up. If Marshall is planning on buying, he might want to go ahead and have David get something lined up with his friend. I am sure this festival will drive the prices up for us. :frown:

It's to late for me to get any from my friend that runs a boat down in Mc'ville. I won't be able to go back that way and get any now that I am back in Charleston and have school everynight after work.

The campsite was the most packed I have every been to. I think the only open site was the one waiting for us to pull into. This festival might have something to do with it, or it is just always busy.

If anyone is looking for something to do fri. after the cookout the Blue Dogs are really good. One of Charleston's best bands IMHO.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I was out at harbor yesterday. On the way back to town I passed a few shrimp vendors on the side of the road (pickup trucks and coolers). They were charging $4/lb for de-headed mixed sized shrimp.

That's pretty good. That's what we paid last year for nice 16-20 ct.'s. I guess it won't be a problem then.

That festival looks nice though. Too bad I will be in the boat most of the time. Maybe the wife and kid can check it out while I go fishing all day. :)

Jeremy

The wife and I are heading taking off work on Friday and heading down. We are bringing the Turkey Fryer with all baskets, etc..
Also a few seine nets and cast nets. Maybe the kayaks as well?
Also, the 4YO and dog. It will be their first camping experience.

We would love to go out on a boat for one of the runs if possible, and do as much as we can with the group, even though we are staying over in the other part of the campgeround with Jeremy.

We will have electricity if anyone needs it. Also, you are all welcome to come use our water.

Anybody have anything else planned as far as events, or is it a "Play it as it lies" kind of trip. I just don't want to miss anything.

I think a group pic of all the rigs in front of the lighthouse would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom