LC refused to start today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are having a cold snap here in California for almost 2 wks now. For the last 3-4 days I noticed the LC showing some hesitation to start up. A few days ago it took an extra second or two to start. I thought nothing about it. Last two days it took an extra 3 seconds and still started. Today, it would not start and I could not go to work. I put the key in the ignition and turned the key. Nothing.

Talked to a mechanic about this and he said that if I use a jumpstart and the vehicle started - then it is a dead battery or else it is something else - like the starter. The vehicle is now sitting in the garage. Also, I noticed that the battery volt indication on the dash (left side) shows 9v or less. Usually, it shows around 14v ( and the needle is always horizontal). Assuming that I have not replaced the battery for last 5 years - I will be glad to find that it is merely a dead battery. I searched the forums to note that I need to get an Interstate Mega Tron MTP-27F battery. Most dealers do not have this in stock.

My plan is to buy this battery and then call AAA and then replace the battery after confirmation that a new battery is indeed needed. Am I on the right track here ? Are there any self diagnostics I should run first?

Thanks

The cold weather is known to put the last nail in the coffin of a dying battery.

Autozone and Advance Auto both will test the battery and/or alternator for you for free. One of those jump packs is nice to have and not a bad investment to keep you from getting stranded again.

I would replace the battery; 100 dollars for a new battery is a cheap fix.

I have never had to use a jumpstarter on my own cars (yet), but I have used it countless times on other peoples. Check Slickdeals - they go on sale for $50 or less all the time for the 400A ones and I've seen the 800A ones drop to less than $70 multiple times.

If it is the battery, I am a fan of Walmart Max batteries. While they may not be the best around, they have a great warranty and there is a Walmart within 30 miles of anywhere if it gives you any problems. I run then in all me vehicles because they have been great about swapping them out when they die. My 7.3L power stroke seems to eat a set every 35 months on 36 month warranties. I bought a set on 2007 and they replaced them on warranty 3 times (6 batteries) before telling me last year no more. I finally broke down and bought a new set.

The story continues.

I called AAA today. The battery test technician dropped in today afternoon & asked me to start the vehicle. I tried it and lo behold the vehicle started as if it was nobody's business. Then we tried to start and turn off a total of 4 times. The vehicle did not start twice and started twice. This caused more confusion. The technician declared that the battery and the alternator are OK. Later, I tried starting again and the LC purred back to life. I took a drive down the the local mechanic who says that the starter motor may need replacement. There were no diagnostics run. I have to pursue this on Monday.

Currently, my LC usage pattern is as follows. I try to start it. If it starts I take it to wherever I need to go and keep the engine idling and then come back. I turn it off only in my garage.

Meanwhile, I checked YourMechanic online to check for getting this done. The quote was 92 dollars for the motor and a price for 4.5 hours of labor (total $560). Does it take this long for a motor swap ? I doubt it.

When you say does not start do you mean no cranking at all, or turns over fine but just won't fire up?

The starter motor sits below the intake manifold. It is a decent job to get at it for replacement.

It turns over for around 2 seconds and then silence.

The story continues.

I called AAA today. The battery test technician dropped in today afternoon & asked me to start the vehicle. I tried it and lo behold the vehicle started as if it was nobody's business. Then we tried to start and turn off a total of 4 times. The vehicle did not start twice and started twice. This caused more confusion. The technician declared that the battery and the alternator are OK. Later, I tried starting again and the LC purred back to life. I took a drive down the the local mechanic who says that the starter motor may need replacement. There were no diagnostics run. I have to pursue this on Monday.

Currently, my LC usage pattern is as follows. I try to start it. If it starts I take it to wherever I need to go and keep the engine idling and then come back. I turn it off only in my garage.

Meanwhile, I checked YourMechanic online to check for getting this done. The quote was 92 dollars for the motor and a price for 4.5 hours of labor (total $560). Does it take this long for a motor swap ? I doubt it.

You need to have the mechanic or AutoZone actually test the battery. Cold really pushes the battery. And the simpler and cheaper fix should always be looked at first.

As for the starter, it does take a good amount of work to get to the starter. It isn't too complicated but it does take time. Good luck.

If you're in the Central Valley I can help you change it.

Pull the EFI Fuse, put a volt meter across the battery, crank it over for 10 seconds, if the voltage drops below 9 volts whilst cranking just change the battery. If it stays above 10 volts then look elsewhere. A good new battery should stay above 10. Do a voltage drop test on your battery ground leads, the positive lead would be good to test also but access is an issue.

That is a very reasonable price. I changed mine out a few months ago and although I could do it more quickly now that I am familiar with it, 4.5 hours is not out of line in the least.

I'd gladly pay someone to do it at that price.

You should have your heater Tee's checked while the intake is off (if you haven't already). I also replaced the seals on my fuel injectors while I had the intake off.

Typically, as the starter contact are failing, they will sometimes times make decent contract sometimes not. When not it will not crank at all.

Dying battery will crank ok at times, then crank sluggish and stop crank at other times after few seconds.

You said you where going to buy a battery did you? if not do. Your battery is 5 years old, replace it for ~$100.
Next time it starts take to Walmart and park in front of shop bay door. Buy a 5 year battery and they'll install for free. Watch to see that they clean & grease the battery post & clamps as they install the new one.

Note: Starter contacts become worn and pitted with each start. As they do, it takes more amps to turn starter if it can land on decent spot. Starter contacts move a little by engine vibration while at rest and with each start. This turns contacts in & out of varying good & bad spots of contact. Old trick is to tap on starter (difficult to get at in our 2UZ-FE) with long screw driver (metal) to get contacts to move a bit, then start. If this works with good battery starter contacts need replacing.

Note: It is a labor intensive job to replace starter in a 100 series. So use only OEM Denso starter. Rebuild yours for $35 in parts, buy rebuilt ~$180 or new $$$.

[more..] I tried to start it up today. There was a single click and then nothing. Tried twice but there was no cranking. Just a single click every time. I tried to turn on the head lights and there was a fluttering sound from under the dashboard. The lights came on and had a strobe effect, but, with very minimal intensity. So, I climbed out and tried to lock the doors with my remote. That did not work. I had to manually lock the door. It seems the battery has now drained out. I will tow it to a mechanic in the next 2 days

[more..] I tried to start it up today. There was a single click and then nothing. Tried twice but there was no cranking. Just a single click every time. I tried to turn on the head lights and there was a fluttering sound from under the dashboard. The lights came on and had a strobe effect, but, with very minimal intensity. So, I climbed out and tried to lock the doors with my remote. That did not work. I had to manually lock the door. It seems the battery has now drained out. I will tow it to a mechanic in the next 2 days

drive to wally world and buy a new battery... if it doesn't work, return it.

I am finally finding time to write about the conclusion of this issue I faced in the cold months of Jan-17!

I was driving a rental car to get me to work and back while the LC sat in the garage. I bought a new Interstate battery directly from the dealer. Costed me a little over 150. At this point, I also learnt that car batteries are heavy. In particular, this Interstate does not have any handle to carry it and is very heavy to carry around..!

I had mentioned the symptoms to my local mechanic who said that the starter and other things had to be replaced. I was quoted 650 or more (parts+ labor) for replacing the starter with a good original Denso starter. This is what I had intended to do eventually.

The story took a quick turn when I called AAA. I said that I had lingering doubts about the battery in the car and wanted to first drop my Interstate in the vehicle before the LC was taken to the mechanic shop. AAA refused to send anyone out. They said they dealt with batteries they provide and will not help if I had my own battery. When pressed, I was told that they cannot guarantee that the batteries provided by customers were good / authentic and would not explode. I was told that this was all in the small font somewhere. So, I waited a full 8 hours and called AAA again and asked for a tow. But then a battery mechanic arrived at my door and not the big tow truck I had assumed. I was told that AAA wanted to make sure this was a battery issue and then send the bigger tow vehicle if really required. I was told that this would count as just one AAA request and not two (AAA now helps you 3 times/ yr). I explained to this battery mechanic what was going on and mentioned the new battery in the trunk of my car. Without asking anything else, he promptly swapped out the old battery with the newer one and the LC sprung to life! No issues at all.

It was the battery after all.

I haven't read all of the post so I apologise for my ignorance, but why did you need AAA to swap a battery?
I had not swapped any battery before and so I thought that if the AAA service was going to come to my door - they could also handle the battery swap. But, as I mentioned, the mere mention of the new battery that I wanted to swap was enough for AAA to cancel my tow truck request. So, I waited many more hours before making a new request for a tow truck only (no battery talk at this point). But, instead of a tow truck they sent a battery mechanic in a van to my place.

I guess AAA is totally against vehicle owners trying to provide their own batteries

Yes, they earn good money selling batteries so it isn't in there interest for people to provide there own. Nice to hear you sorted it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom