Last 2 body bolts along rear sill - removal tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and have found others having problems removing the last 2 bolts on the rear sill (the inner two). Someone mentioned they ended up cutting a notch in their frame. Others have cut the bolts. Just hoping someone may have a tip to get to these bolts before I break out the saw, or break my knuckles. I only have basic hand tools, and have everything off my tub including all the other body bolts except these two. I don't seem to have anything that will let me get at them; I was thinking maybe an offset wrench where the wrench is angled up, meaning it would be scraping along the bottom of the tub but not sure that would work and before I buy any more tools hoping to hear something that may work.

If I just cut the bolt with my saw, can I get the remainder out with a left handed bit? I'm on the verge of cutting since i broke a few others anyhow...but figured I'd check here first...

Any advice or info is appreciated.
photo-8.JPG

I ended up cutting off a box-end wrench to fit inside the small access area(14mm?). As I turned the bolt from the bottom, the wrench rotated around until it contacted the inner frame, holding the nut while I unscrewed the bolt--went back the same way, but I put a wood chunk in so I could knock it out when all was tight, and free the cut-off wrench.

Thanks; I am not sure it's the same bolt; I thought the body bolt went up thru the frame and bushing to a captive nut or threaded hole on the body itself. I thought that's how the others I've gotten off were. In the picture I attached, I'm hiding a 6" socket extension that's pointing at the offending bolt. I can't seem to get leverage enough to turn it using the flexible socket extension, and I don't seem to have any other tools that will reach. If I is the same bolt and I'm mistaken apologies, it's a mess of por-15 and rust up there...

I'll get a better look at it tomorrow was trying to do this in the rain today so maybe a nights sleep and sunshine will help...

Sggoat, apologies and thank you. It was bugging m so I grabbed a flashlight and went back under the truck and see the nut on top. I'll give your method a shot - thanks again!

Hiya, put plenty of Ed's red to help loosen and use the wrenches. As long as you get them a bit loose, you can cut he bolt if needed. Good luck and watch your head.

Best, ty
:beer:

I sed a cut off wheel and cut the bolts. the rest of the bolts I used an sawzall on.

I removed those bolts by drilling a 7/16 hole inthe frame directly below. Slide a socket on the inside, pushed an3/8 extension though the hole into the socket.

Thanks everyone; i'm going to give sggoats method a try before cutting anything. But if the frustration level rises we'll see lol. The PO slathered POR-15 over all the bolts so its hard to get a wrench or socket on them without picking it off, and if they are in a difficult spot its just a pain. Learning as i go though!

I removed those bolts by drilling a 7/16 hole inthe frame directly below. Slide a socket on the inside, pushed an3/8 extension though the hole into the socket.

Thats a great idea! Hadn't thought of that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom