Las Cruses Chile Challenge Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Christo

Great pictures! How did the bobbed / solid axle Tundra do? 80 series axle & 4-link?

Joe

That Taco does really well. Yes, it is a 80 front end with custom 4 link and steering. Rear bed was bobbed before and after wheels and the rear axle was moved forward about 9"

OK, before you hear it from someone else, here is the tally. In this pic http://www.sleeoffroad.com/trails/chile_2004/dsc00233_jpg.htm I nearly rolled the truck. We then proceeded to hook up the winch to keep the nose down. Well, me being the idiot and getting confussed started to reel the winch in and backing the truck up. Not good. Broke the short side inner axle (not the Birfield) and the winch cable at the same time. Also one of the blades of the fan nicked the radiator and it sprung a leak. I have video of this but it is about 80 megs. I will try and get it uploaded.

Then in http://www.sleeoffroad.com/trails/chile_2004/dsc00433_jpg.htm I was 2/3's up the obstacle and the DS rear axle broke. It also broke all the dowels in the hub on both sides. So, make sure you check the rear studs when you wheel hard. They were all loose, but that could have happened after the axle broke. I am going to upgrade to 10mm studs on the rear hubs.

Snapped the inner and the winch cable at the same time. Whoa. Glad everyone is ok. Could have been nasty for sure. Glad ya'll are ok.

After looking at those pics, I'm not sure if I grew or shriveled if you know what mean. Looks like ya had a super time.

Amazingly the cable just flopped down on the ground. Anway, now it is time for some rope. Also, new crawler box should be here next week. Either going to break more or less parts. Not sure yet. All I can say, the new Toyota oem birfields treated by Bobby did not break. When I tear it down again I will inspect since I can not believe they were not hurt. 8k winch pulling one way, 6k lb truck in reverse with 1FZFE pulling the other way. not good.

Which crawler box you end up with Christo?

Also, never re use your rear axle studs, always fit new studs when you pull them down, as they lose their stretch, and then come loose.

100 series run bigger studs and cones from memory, I converted one of my axles to 10mm unbrako bolts, but always ran genuine after that, new genuine, and never had any more trouble.

I see you boys found the "Moderate" trails down here in New Mexico. Will you be running the "Hard" trails next year's Chile Challenge? :D

-B-

Yes, I was looking for a certain Moonglow truck and some super dooper SC'ed water breathing truck to be right in front of us, but they never showed. Not sure what happened. They must have gone with the big dogs :)

Couldn't get a hall pass :'(

sweet honda :)
dsc00239.jpg

only thing missing is the [glow=red,6,900]WOFTAM[/glow] No plates.....

Waste Of Fxxxing Time And Money..........

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=12596;start=msg115951#msg115951 date=1078528208]
Yes, I was looking for a certain Moonglow truck and some super dooper SC'ed water breathing truck to be right in front of us, but they never showed. Not sure what happened. They must have gone with the big dogs :)
[/quote]

Maybe they were out of shrinkwrap...

Otay the first of the best!! Looks like a '76 if I remember correctly!! The earlier ones we called pregnant roller-skates. I just wish I had that '78 5-speed that got 46 mpg!!! and could beat a Firebird off the line!

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=12596;start=msg116219#msg116219 date=1078563241]
and could beat a Firebird off the line!
[/quote]

Isnt that a bit like saying you beat a dead man in a one legged race? :flipoff2:

Sweeter Vega

4WD%20Vega.jpeg

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom