OnX ofroad build Challenge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Voted

Tho the last time I did that...🤔

Voted...
But to be honest, an 80 with 2" of uptravel, stock non upgraded axles with 39s & a pretty paint job will be the least stout vehicle of the 3 rigs in the challenge.
To be clear, I am a Cruiserhead & want to see a 80 in the UA, so I will keep voting.
The small body S10 with full size axles is a better UA rig though.

GO TEAM DUMPSTERFIRE

Last edited:
I thought he put too much emphasis on a snorkel topper that had a prefilter but he never mentioned the factory cyclonic air filter under the hood

I have watching utube to see just what UA is all about? It looks 2022 was like a tour through off road parks in the SE US. I thought the Rigs had to be street legal, but I see open wheels everywhere?
Honestly Thought it was a race across some vast wilderness area. Similar to Off Road Warriors.
What is the Goal?
How do I get this Thread across all of MUD? Every Cruiser head needs to see this!

I thought he put too much emphasis on a snorkel topper that had a prefilter but he never mentioned the factory cyclonic air filter under the hood
lol too much time on the snorkel??
How about the week he spent cutting and sculpting the stupid front fenders just to put that ugly-ass bar work on the front?? that's about as junkyard as one can get.
He's all over the place and at this point I'm about convinced he's throwing it on purpose, possibly to shut up 80 owners over how good (or not) 80s are offroad, etc.
He is a Jeeper after all and not to be trusted.

He is a Jeeper after all and not to be trusted.
So you think Nate is going through all of this to prove the 80 a pile of poo? Gonna drag ol Dave Chappelle down with him too. I think Dave a Toyota LC fan. He did a little segment once about the 80 Axles in Dirt every day. He was bragging about them.

I did watch the Taco episodes on Dirt lifestyle and did possibly detect some Toyota dis... something? I felt he didn't really like that rig.

He got there eventually and was kind of suprised to see it after spending all that time screwing around with a prefilter on top of the snorkle. And the whole time I'm yelling at the TV "there's a prefilter with a trash can built in, Dumb A$$!"

Some people don’t know what they don’t know. The tuna can does an amazingly good job.

So you think Nate is going through all of this to prove the 80 a pile of poo? Gonna drag ol Dave Chappelle down with him too. I think Dave a Toyota LC fan. He did a little segment once about the 80 Axles in Dirt every day. He was bragging about them.

I did watch the Taco episodes on Dirt lifestyle and did possibly detect some Toyota dis... something? I felt he didn't really like that rig.
Watching to see what happens. 👍

Listened to it...OK I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
What's funny is the reaction he got at EJS when he took the 80 there.
Had no idea how many people are that clueless about the 80.
Kinda makes me wonder just how much knowledge your average Jeeper even has about off roading, the necessary equipment, etc.
They're like, "OK, I have a Jeep. Replace everything! Because that's how it's done! WooHoo 'Murica!"
What the actual?? I mean, we know it's necessary for Jeepers to have to do that for all the reasons Nate points out.
But it's not ACTUALLY necessary when you start with the right rig. It's a complete no-brainer.
Naturally I'm not saying a stock 80 can do 'Hammers (or even a modded one, that's ambitious)
Just speaking to the average off-road build sort of thing.
Anyhoo...now we know why his vote count is so low.
Ih8mud members could, on their own, turn that around I believe.

@LandLocked93 just to be clear I think I have detected some Jeep bias, or Toyota distain from Nate in the Taco build series. I felt he just didn't like the rig from the time he bought it. Complaining mostly about the "Off Road " badge it carried and the electrical gremlins he was getting after some pretty serious modifications. He even did a segment where he compared his Gladiator to the Taco. The Gladiator was the superior rig as far as strength of most components, like Axles, Frame. BUT it could have been argued the Taco is third or even fourth fiddle in the Toyota 4Wheel Drive lineup. Apples to Oranges if you ask me. Put that gladiator up to a modern 70!?
He should have started the Taco build with a more simple rig one without all the bells/whistles.
I think he's going to give the 80 a fair shake though. Time will tell.

Disco=Euro Jeep

I interviewed Nate about the build..

I subscribed to his channel as I really liked the look of his LR Disco on big arse tires. He's also from the Seattle area which will always get my attn.

But I began to lose interest when it became more of a backyard garage show with his next victim being a clapped out LX 450. To me, when you begin to materially mod out what Toyota worked so hard to blood in, it's no longer a Land Cruiser. It's an amateur hack job.

I'm curious about all makes and models. I'm no Toyota loyalist having owned two new Range Rover Sports in the past with the beautiful 510hp supercharged Ford engine. I also saw an incredibly awesome looking Jeep Gladiator lifted on what looked like 37s the other day. Sweet.

He sounds like a really nice dude living the YouTuber dream. Thanks for the content!

I've been watching his channel for about a year. I find it entertaining and informative. I'm more excited about his samurai. Let him do what he wants to the 450, maybe it will become a longer project more thought out.

It just occurred to me that it was this guy, Nate, who sent me on a buying spree after he put gullwings on his Disco. I thought, "S*** if he can do it I can too!".
Unfortunately lol all the items in his provided Amazon cart to do the gullwings remain in a box in a closet because...
...hinges.
That's right, I can't find any suitable hinges. I have the ones he used, but they aren't right for an 80.
I have gotten some use out of the riv-nut'er and pop riveter tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom