Land Cruiser V.S 4runner?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now as to how far you can take them?? There are more parts available for the runner. Cheaper low range gears, you can do dual tc, you can run with out doors, etc.... So I guess it depends on the ultimate end project you are looking for. 4runners make better extreme off roaders and 80's make better family wheelers (expedition vehicles) that are also very capable.

go with the 80. you will fall in love with it.

Where are you at and what type of use are you looking for. The 80 is definately bigger, but with that comes comfort. It is a thousand pounds and several inches wider/longer but as mentioned this will hold you up very little w/ the exception of a few places. If your after the mudbog and rockpile king, maybe teh built runner. But as mentioned, to mod a runner to 80 status is pricey!!!

have you driven both? that might answer all your ?'s right there.

the 3.4 in the 95 and on runners is a much better v6 than the 3.0 of previous years, with the 5 speed its down right aggressive to me.

Have you posted a thread in the 79-95 Toyota Truck Tech or the 95+ generation Toyota Truck sections? They may have some different answers.

I had a 95' 4Runner and it was by far the best vehicle I have ever owned until I bought the 80. By comparision the 4Runner, being underpowered with the 3.0 V6, is no match for the power of the 80 even with 285/75/16 tires. Both are great vehicles, but the 80 just has more power and more room in everyway if that is something you want.

The 4Runner width is very narrow and 3 people in the back seat are cramped and you are almost bumping shoulders in the front seat with your passenger. On a plus side if you run narrow trails this may be a good thing.

One of the biggest advantages for me was Full Time 4WD vs rear wheel drive on the 4Runner until
4WD is engaged.

The 80 is over built and more substantial a vehicle in every way compared to the 4Runner.

I second post #4....

Good Luck.

I ran a Hilux Surf 2.4TD (4Runner) for nearly 6 years. I done lots of mods to improve its off road abilities and wheeled it alot. Next mods were getting expensive - lockers, SFA.

I recently sold it and I got the Landcruiser a couple of months back.

It blows the Hilux away in just about every department - ability, space, presence, economy (NOT!).

I will never EVER go back to running a Hilux - here's a pic of the old girl, we did have some fun times together though haha...

Image020-3.jpg

Lots of good perspective's here....

80...Bigger and Better!!!:D

just how? B/c it's bigger? Or the build quality?

IMO, those can be good, just as they can be bad. IH8W8.

And bring on the flames all you want. You'd need an electron microscope to see the differences in the buid quality of my 4Runner, and an FJ80......sorry.

I bought a 4Runner, then the first time I drove my friends FZJ80 I sold the 4Runner and bought his truck.

4Runners are small and underpowered, really really small. Our VW Jetta actually had more room.

I didn't like it, but that's just me.

Craig.

Agree, but the 80's won't go down as having the most power either?

When will the fascination of power stop? No pre-america Toyota's have gobbs of torque, which we are used to. But they do have the longevity we are not used to seeing in the big sleepy american V8s to. FFT. Can't have both. Or atleast you couldn'tt back then when the option wasn't avalible.

3.0h, or 1fz tied to a tank. :meh: it's all the same to me.

I have both also, love them both...99 w/lockers can go virtually anywhere due to short wheel base, even with the IFS. 80 is a comfortable beast that just has a larger wheelbase. I dont' like taking my 80 on tight trails w/trees due to pinstriping, mine is still a cream-puff the previous owner gave me i have just gave it more capability with the lift, tires, bumper, ect.

Both are Toy's, both are reliable and capable. Can't go wrong either way IMHO. :beer:

Agree. My 95 4Runner has awesome characteristics. However, I choose to work on my own stuff so I rate it higher than those who don't have that option. Given the choice, I'd rather build my 4Runner anyday of the week than buy an 80. However, an 80 is one of the best AWD SUV's money can buy....no? strike that, THE best.

Me, I just H8 weight, and poor mpg. My 4Runner is no saint in those same departments either, but given the choice I'd rather feed my 4Runner, and free my 4Runner should it ever become beached.

Plus, it handles SO nice...

go with the 80. you will fall in love with it.

Yep, every 220 miles or so....:lol:

I had a 95' 4Runner and it was by far the best vehicle I have ever owned until I bought the 80. By comparision the 4Runner, being underpowered with the 3.0 V6, is no match for the power of the 80 even with 285/75/16 tires. Both are great vehicles, but the 80 just has more power and more room in everyway if that is something you want.

The 4Runner width is very narrow and 3 people in the back seat are cramped and you are almost bumping shoulders in the front seat with your passenger. On a plus side if you run narrow trails this may be a good thing.

One of the biggest advantages for me was Full Time 4WD vs rear wheel drive on the 4Runner until
4WD is engaged.

The 80 is over built and more substantial a vehicle in every way compared to the 4Runner.

I second post #4....

Good Luck.

agree.

They're both great and both great platforms a AFAIAC. Me, if I had a family, or moved lots of peole around I'd go with the Cruiser.

If my wallet was light, as well as my weight prefrance. I didn't have to move lots of people....

It's just too hard to call. If it makes you feel any better TONS of people use the 4Runner to move their familys around, and 4 wheel...and they do it? :confused:

too hard to call. You'll be the best judge. Just find two to test drive, it'll come to you.

Last edited:
My last rig was a second gen runner, '90, 3.slo auto, lift and tires, great rig. The 3.slo has some issues, likes to blow head gaskets and burn #6 exhaust valves and the heads are a pain in the nads to do. Also not the most efficient motors, all of the gas mileage of a V8 and none of the power! My '80 smokes it in power, gets better gas mileage and is a much more capable rig on the trail.

That said, it depends on what you want. The runner can be built into a very capable rig, if your willing to do the work and/or have the budget. One of my wheeling buddies has a '90, when the trail gets really challenging, lets just say I don't dare him to a game of follow the leader.:D Our rigs weigh about the same, but he has me beat on size, clearance and gearing. Mine is pretty much stock, lift, tires, bumpers, he has tons of mods, $$$.

The 3.slo finally died and it's in for a Tacoma 3.4 swap, great upgrade, more power and better gas mileage.

Aug252007PayetteDraw145.jpg

4-28-2008_4.jpg

I have both a 3rd gen 4Runner and an 80. Everyone I know has asked me which one I like better. Although I LOVED my 4Runner, it was always a little too narrow inside and it didn't tow what I wanted to tow very easily. My 80 is much more comfortable and the selectable lockers are a plus. I think my 4runner had much better power too. Overall, both vehicles are the best in their class but for towing, comfort, and rugged looks, the 80 wins hands down!

96+ 4Runners are quite a bit nicer than the previous generation. Is there a specific year range you are looking for? If it's just a price range and your deciding between an 80 and a 4Runner, I'd try to get something 96+.

Ok well it sounds like the 80- wins, due to power comfort and capability. If anyone is wondering the 4Runner my Bro has is, TRD E-Locker, Marlin crawler sliders, Bilsten HD, Old Man Emu, 31" BFGs, AISIN Manual Hubs..
Thanks Guys!

PB110549.jpg

Great topic, but it's comparing apples to oranges.

I've owned both.

The cruiser is way, way, way, bigger and heavier..:eek::eek:

I put 250K miles on a brand new '93 4runner, and wheeling it is a completely different experience from the cruiser for all the reasons already mentioned. From seating position, to stick vs slushbox, solid axle vs independent, to weight, power, traction, they may LOOK similar, but are NOT.

The narrow pine tree lined trails here are better navigated by a narrower vehicle, but the cruiser is..."a lotta toyota".

Bottom line, if you want to wheel a 4runner, do that.

If you want to wheel a cruiser, do that, knowing it is a different experience.

Just my $.02
cruiser vs 4runner.jpg

My previous rig was a 99 4rnr. It was already built by the PO w/8" of lift, SAS Dana44, ARB air locker front, fact elock rear, 3link front, leafs rear, 37" tires, bumpers, sliders blah blah blah....and it cost me about about $16,000!!! I now have a 93 80 built to about the same capability and it cost about $7K!!! It's much more comfortable and easier to drive!

4runners are great but the whole IFS thing just kills it for me and it's very expensive/difficult to fix that!

Go 80!!!! :D

As others have said, you have to think about what you want the truck for. The 80 has more capabilities but they come at a steep price. The LC is better built (which I think says a lot because of the build quality of the 4runner), stronger, and has a more powerful engine. All of these things are good--as long as you are willing to pay to maintain it.

For example, lets say your front axle needs servicing. In the case of the 4runner, you'll buy a new CV axle for lets say $200 and the labor to install it is similar in time and effort for both vehicles. Now consider the LC; if the birfield needs replacement it may cost you as much as $600(OEM)* for a new one.

If you listen to the majority on this forum, then you will be replacing your parts with OEM and you will spend a lot. Once I saw a recommendation on the forum that when you buy an 80 you should plan on about another $2,500 in PM to get it "baselined".

At the end of the day, if the 4runner will do the job you need it to do then it may be difficult to rationalize the extra cost of the LC. On the other hand, if you are willing to accept the extra cost for the priviledge to own the LC, then you should buy one. Just remember, it's not free. Think of it like this, Landcruiser is to SUV as Harley Davidson is to motorcycles. The funny thing is I don't think I'll ever think a Harley is worth the money, but I love my 80.

*Birfields can be had for $200 or less from aftermarket suppliers, but the debate rages as to the differences between aftermarket and OEM and whether one or the other will be better for you. Most aftermarket birfs are made for extremely high strength applications and are not recommended for daily driving in the full time four wheel drive drivetrain.

All things being equal, both have lockers, both has two solid axles and both are coil sprung then the 4runner is the better 4wheeling rig just due to size. But 4runners don't come with all those things and 80's do so you are looking at a larger more comfortable vehicle that starts with all those things.

4Runners quit having solid axles in 1986. Newer Runners are coil sprung out back and torsion spring in the IFS. Only the rear has lockers on the newer Runner.

I've owned a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen. 4-Runner and will say they are certainly buildable and a solid platform, but I have also owned FJ-40's, 60's, and an 80 and will say the 80 is the best Toyota platfom to build on IMHO. Way beafier components, solid front axle, much better overall build quality, and a more powerful engine.
I do miss the mileage of my '87 4-Runner. 22mpg vs. 12mpg. :-(

I have an 3rd gen 4runner, right now and though I have not driven the 80 series it is what im going to get when I have the money, seems like all the pluses of a 4runner minus none of the weaknesses except gas. Actually if any body wants to give me there 80 for my tired beat up 96' 4runner I am down. Just a thought!!!!

No comparison. GET the 80. I've owned a 3.o slow and swapped the motor, for another 3.0 slow. Absolutely way more difficult to work on than a cruiser and not worth the misery. I just got a lx450 2 months ago, and after driving 40's and 60's for 20 years, I am absolutely convinced that the 97landcruiser has reached it's highest point in design with all of the lessons learned from the 40's and the 60's. The straight six is what a truck should have, just like my 50 chevy. And another thing, 4runners are still trying to look like cruisers, and that is sad.

If you dont understand the difference in quality between a runner and an 80 you are in the wrong place! We have owned (3) 5 speed 3.4 runners, they will run circles around the 4.5 in a cruiser power-wise in the mountains but they still are not the truck an 80 is. Also, runners are everybit as heavy FOR THEIR SIZE as an 80 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom