l/100km City Commuting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To be honest, the Tundra day was much more city traffic. Today was more of a dash and grab trip. To be honest it's not mpg
any more it's 'show me the money' at the pump. It shouldn't cost $40 to drive to Vic and back.
Since they want to stink-eye us with taxes, where is ANY kind of public transit that's remotely usable for a trip to the city????

Ya that's a really good point about the lack of public transit options. Its completely unreasonable to tax the crap out of fuel if there arent any realistic alternatives.

We live 42km from Malmö which is around a half hour drive without traffic. That said I dont drive in when I meet clients. I can take the train 35 min that stops 10 min walk from the house. Train goes from 0440 - 2330 every day. Twice an hour during the day and once an hour during the night / early morning. I can walk from the train station in Malmö to work or jump on a bus if needed.

Its pretty incredible to see the difference in public transit and how it's actually usable here compared with the island.

Worth noting is that the village we live in has 1400 people in the last census so it's not exactly a big town...

One of the reasons we bought out here was its actually faster into town on the train then if we bought closer to town but needed to bus...

I'd like to see the E&N Rail right-of-way to be expropriated through entire island and it paved as a 'EV Transit'
buses only corridor. Where EV buses run at highway speeds when able, can depart for a loop around say Ladysmith
or Duncan, get back on the corridor and run fast down the island and up the island completely protected from normal
traffic. If it was rail, bring in experts from Europe, build something logical. FAST as in now and in speed
Express routes Nanaimo to Comox without stopping, Comox to Victoria without stopping. Reduce the ridiculous
single vehicle traffic. I think it would work. Pathetic how they are pounding Langford full of people, but no support
infrastructure for pop explosion. Should build the tracks, roads streets before the high rise condos.
In this case, maybe the cart track before the horse, if that makes sense?

Last edited:
Agreed more or less... But i will take rail lines over ev bus lanes every day...

The biggest problem I've seen in Canada with public transport is trying to reinvent the wheel... Every city seems to want to build it all from scratch.

They should just take a trip to Europe and visit some nice cities and pick the things that work then purchase the tech. Would save a fortune and have an excuse for a paid vacation.

Biggest problem in Canada is the direct need to support the Quebec french Mafia and Bombardier, the
biggest capital corruption suck in Canada.
I agree, the Euro Countries have a tried and true system and we continue to be immune to common sense.
Would be a dream to see snow contrail from a train travelling from Calgary to Winnipeg in winter at 300 kph!!

An oldie but a goody
6C5B750A-777C-4E7A-81DB-8364DD8BBC0E.jpeg

I’ve read the gen 2 Prius and very tough… and do quite well with a lift and more aggressive tires. That said the traction control make it so you can get stuck on wet grass.

Im in the same boat. Im in my first year at UVIC and 90% of my driving is very short distances to and from friends' houses and things like that. A lot of the time my 1HDFT doesn't get to operating temp at all when I go out. The other driving that I do is on the weekend either fishing or wheeling/camping.

Since I am still very new to my cruiser and have A LOT to learn, I'm wondering, is there a certain way of driving (under these circumstances) that can harm my engine? Anything I should avoid or any precautions/measures I should take? Usually, when I start up the truck I use the hand throttle and bring up the RPMs for a few minutes before driving...

Im in the same boat. Im in my first year at UVIC and 90% of my driving is very short distances to and from friends' houses and things like that. A lot of the time my 1HDFT doesn't get to operating temp at all when I go out. The other driving that I do is on the weekend either fishing or wheeling/camping.

Since I am still very new to my cruiser and have A LOT to learn, I'm wondering, is there a certain way of driving (under these circumstances) that can harm my engine? Anything I should avoid or any precautions/measures I should take? Usually, when I start up the truck I use the hand throttle and bring up the RPMs for a few minutes before driving...

Generally speaking, diesels don't like short trips that much. They like to be at full operating temperature, and also like to be loaded once in a while. So all you can really do is take some highway trips once in a while to clean it out.

With both long and short trips, the number one thing you need to do is give your motor some cool down time before shutting it off. This is primarily in the interest of turbo longevity, but also helps cool down pre-cups/head in an IDI and pistons in a DI. If you've just had the engine under significant load, give it a minute or so of idle before shutting off. If you've just been driving slow through a parking lot (coming to uvic for example), you only need to give it 15 sec to cool down. If you shut down quick after being under high load, it can shorten the life of your turbo by coking oil in the journal. Another thing, is don't drive the truck hard until it's warmed up. Hard acceleration with a cold diesel is not good.

The other thing you should do, is look for an EGR delete kit, and look at crank ventilation filters. This will keep the intake/head clean. Otherwise a ton of crud will build up in there which is not good for valves/seats. Also, change oil more often, as although you're not racking up kms, you are racking up hours. With your engine being direct injection, it does run cleaner than an old IDI like mine though... Just monitor it.

Generally speaking, diesels don't like short trips that much. They like to be at full operating temperature, and also like to be loaded once in a while. So all you can really do is take some highway trips once in a while to clean it out.

With both long and short trips, the number one thing you need to do is give your motor some cool down time before shutting it off. This is primarily in the interest of turbo longevity, but also helps cool down pre-cups/head in an IDI and pistons in a DI. If you've just had the engine under significant load, give it a minute or so of idle before shutting off. If you've just been driving slow through a parking lot (coming to uvic for example), you only need to give it 15 sec to cool down. If you shut down quick after being under high load, it can shorten the life of your turbo by coking oil in the journal. Another thing, is don't drive the truck hard until it's warmed up. Hard acceleration with a cold diesel is not good.

The other thing you should do, is look for an EGR delete kit, and look at crank ventilation filters. This will keep the intake/head clean. Otherwise a ton of crud will build up in there which is not good for valves/seats. Also, change oil more often, as although you're not racking up kms, you are racking up hours. With your engine being direct injection, it does run cleaner than an old IDI like mine though... Just monitor it.
Such great info, exactly what I needed. I'm pretty sure my EGR is already deleted, but ill try to verify that now. Thanks!!!

(Not my photo)

My intake pipe looks like this... no EGR right?

View attachment 2953214

I'm not that familiar with the 1HDFT, but I think you're right, I don't see EGR there. Maybe it wasn't even equipped on those motors? Might just be the 1HDFTE versions. I know it's horrible for the ones that do have it! So seems you're in luck in that regard!

Wait, are you currently at UVic? Parked in lot 1?

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom